“Unrealised potential to be a world class hotel”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #44 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
DUBLIN , IRELAND
“Unrealised potential to be a world class hotel”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Firstly, I appreciated the upgrade from Executive room to Executive Plus room, and the fruit and confectionery plate to mark my birthday. These were lovely gestures.

Check in was a pleasure, staff were very helpful indeed. Later I asked at reception about wifi in the room. Normally it is an additional charge, but I was given it on a complimentary basis to mark my birthday.

The room was very well presented and the views over the city excellent.

One of the three lifts was out of order when we arrived, and was repaired during our stay. Following these repairs, this particular lift was not as smooth as the others, and was poorly lit in comparison to the others.

The main reason for booking an executive room was to have the benefit of the executive lounge. Over the years my wife and I have enjoyed many such lounges in various hotels, and Hilton is normally the class leader in this regard. One of the best executive lounges we have experienced is that of the Hilton London Metropole. This is the standard by which we judge other hotels.

The executive lounge in the Hilton Deansgate is a marvelous room with stunning views. However, where it fails to impress is:

• short opening hours
• poor range of refreshments during the day, including soft drinks
• the evening canapes were insufficient for the number of guests using the lounge, and replenishments were not always forthcoming. Even the jar of tortilla chips was not refilled during the entire evening
• the range of evening drinks available was not as large as that in other Hilton properties
• the staff were clearly removing the remaining food and drink several minutes before 8pm, thus making us feel uncomfortable remaining in the lounge.
• limited range of newspapers and magazines

It may well be that I am being over critical, but the standards I am using to judge the lounge are those set by Hilton hotels. In all honesty, this lounge was a disappointment.

This hotel has the potential to be world class. Reception staff (and indeed all staff members) are excellent, the building is wonderful. However, the executive lounge is disappointing compared to my experience of other Hilton properties and frankly not worth the fee charged.

Sadly, I wrote emails to the Hotel after my stay (to outline these issues), but as yet have not even had the courtesy of a response (even an automated one)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PATJORDAN
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on line.

My team and I are disappointed to read your review.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to correspond directly with us and we look forward to welcoming your back to the hotel in the future.

John McLaughlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed in an executive suite for a night out in Manchester. The executive suite is a worthwhile upgrade. The rooms are spacious & the views over the city are breathe taking. Ignore negative reviews about the executive suite access, it is beautiful in there & the food & drink is delicious. The staff are so helpful & friendly and they clearly take pride & care in everything they do.

Room Tip: Choose an excutive suite with city views - amazing.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently; it was our pleasure to have you with us.

I am really pleased that you were able to stay in a one of our Executive suites which allowed you to enjoy the hospitality of the team in our Executive Lounge whilst enjoying the spectacular views of Manchester and beyond. The team in the lounge has been made aware of your kind words.

The team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are pleased to be able to offer you a friendly service and we hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Myself and my girlfriend went to the cocktail bar Cloud 23 on Saturday the 2nd August 2014. We made reservations due to te high demand for a place that is held in high esteem. I must say it is a far better experience to be on the guest list. My were we happy we did! We had a very short wait in the hotel lobby and witnessed people forming a queue in the hope of getting in. So into the lift we went to be greeted by an extremely pleasant young lady on the 23rd floor and entrance to Cloud 23. She then duly showed us to our seats that were situated in the window of Cloud 23 and I must say what a breathtaking experience it is. From our vantage point you could see the whole city and so much more and to add to the fabulous experience the sun was brightly shining (a fact that according to the weather reports was a remote possiblity). We then ordered our cocktails which exquisitely delightful. I ordered a cocktail called the industrialist which was dark black in colour but extremely tasty and moorish, the girlfriend ordered a cocktail of which we cannot remember but this was still lovely. I then ordered a fantastic looking cocktail called Mr Mercer’s Cotton Peculiar which comes draped in a candy floss cloud and although sweet was a very satisfying cocktail. I could wax rhapsodic about Cloud 23 for ever and a day but will say to conclude that it is a most rewarding/fabulous/delightful experience due to the exclusivity of the experience, the waiting on staff who were superb, the cocktails themselves of which I have given a glowing reccommendation. Above all else I want to express just what a fabulous ambiance Cloud 23 has and what an enchanting, capivating experience it all is. A glorious one that will be repeated again and again by myself and my girlfriend.

Dear Guest

Your positive words following your visit to Cloud 23 are appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to visit Cloud 23 where you enjoyed the wonderful cocktails that our skilled team create for our guests to enjoy.

I am thrilled that your visit coincided with great weather and that you were able to enjoy the spectacular views which were made even more special by the glorious sun shine that Manchester has enjoyed recently.

We certainly hope that we are able to welcome you and your partner back to the hotel soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

By far the best Hilton in the UK, that we have stayed in.

Very friendly staff, who are more than willing to help.

Our room was on the 12th floor and was spotlessly clean and modern. The floor to ceiling windows gave us amazing views of Manchester.

The exec lounge on the 23rd floor was a fantastic haven.... Really well designed and stylishly decorated.... The views were even better up here (we were pleased to see the Coronation Street set!) The evening drinks and nibbles were generous and good quality. The breakfast was also quite substantial with cold cuts, cereals, eggs, bacon and sausages.

We were slightly disappointed by Cloud 23 bar, we arrived about 1030 for a nightcap, but had to wait a good 10 mins for the host to check there was a table.... When we got up there we found several were empty! Cocktails here are about £11, again great views but it all felt quite pretentious!

Hotel is in a great location about 15 mins walk from Piccadilly train station.... 5 mins from the Coronation Street tour and 10 mins from Canal Street. Numerous restaurants and bars nearby.

Can't wait to return to the Hilton Manchester, it really is a great hotel.

Stayed August 2014
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Guest

We are absolutely delighted to learn that you rank us the ‘best Hilton Hotel in the UK, what an accolade, thank you very much.

I am thrilled that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our location, facilities and service.

The team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate are pleased to be able to offer you a friendly service and we too look forward to your return stay when you next visit Manchester.

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed for a Saturday night as a free night offer from credit card spend. Having stayed at this hotel a couple of years back I was slightly disappointed at the tied looking decor, seemed like it needed a bit of renovation to get back to the luxury standard.

Good points were the staff were all pleasant and friendly, we even managed to get checked in a couple of hours early. Bed was comfortable and view was good. Room isn't that big, but ok.

I wouldn't like to pay full price for a night here, but Hilton often have offers on, so worth it if you can get an offer.

Didn't eat at the hotel, but did have a couple of drinks in the bar which was good.

Other issue with this Hilton is that it's a little bit of a walk to the shopping areas, and there's other hotels nearer to the shops.

Room Tip: Ask for one on a high floor and with views across the city.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for returning to stay with us; it was our pleasure to be able to welcome you back to Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

I am pleased that we were able to offer you an early check in to enhance your stay and I am delighted that you found our beds to be comfortable.

I am delighted that every single team member that you encountered throughout your stay was efficient and friendly.

Hilton Manchester Deansgate is competitively priced with other hotels in the city, however we are pleased to be able to offer ‘deals’ and I hope that you are able to take advantage of one of them and stay with us again in the future.

Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for one night in an Executive room. These rooms are on the higher floors (ours was the 17th) and therefore have exceptionally good views from the windows which cover a whole wall from floor to ceiling. The room was a good size but to be honest there were no special features. Didn't use any of the hotels facilities. Slightly annoyed by the fire alarm going off in the afternoon, walked down 17 flights of steps only to be redirected straight back into the hotel and no fire engines outside - strange.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us; it was our pleasure to be able to welcome you to Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

Thank you for booking an Executive room to enhance your stay and I am really pleased that you enjoyed the spectacular views from the floor to ceiling windows that all of our guest rooms have to offer.

I am sorry that your stay coincided with an evacuation, which I am sure was an inconvenience to you during your stay, which I apologise for. However, the safety of our guests and staff is of paramount importance to us in Hilton and our first priority when the alarms sound is to evacuate the building whilst an investigation is carried out.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel to enjoy a future stay when you may have the time to use our facilities.

York
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed at the Hilton Saturday night,arrived at around 5pm,checked in,as I was in the shower the fire alarm went,I had to get to ground half naked,by the time I got down the alarm stopped,no apology,I upgraded to the executive suite,waste of money,free bar?drinks were rubbish and bit of food on was cheap ( tasteless) as we arrived at our room there was a complementary bottle of champs,tried charging £40, madness!

1 Thank Doggggg
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently.

I am disappointed and surprised to read your comments relating to our 23rd floor Executive Lounge. Since its refurbishment we have received very positive comments. However, I can assure you that I will share your feedback with my management team to ensure all of Executive guests are satisfied with the lounge offering.

I am sorry that your visit coincided with an evacuation, which I am sure was an inconvenience to you during your stay, which I apologise for. However, the safety of our guests and staff is of paramount importance to us in Hilton and our first priority when the alarms sound is to evacuate the building whilst an investigation is carried out. I hope you found that the evacuation was dealt with in a professional manner.

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.