“Lovely stay”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #44 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Had a fantastic overnight stay at this hotel. Stayed in executive room, lovely view, comfy bed, nothing too much trouble for attentive staff too. Special thanks to Eric from the concierge, who was exceptionally helpful and friendly and is a credit to the hotel.

Not a complaint but rather strange that we got ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard with our toast from room service at 1am. Made us laugh though! Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone.

It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay; it is also good to learn that you had a good night’s sleep in our comfortable beds.

I am so pleased to read that you found all team members to be extremely friendly and that they looked after you during your stay. The entire team have been given visibility of your feedback, especially our Concierge team.

I do hope that you return to stay with us in the future, when we will have the opportunity to look after you once again.

John McLaughlin

Write a ReviewReviews (4,541)

Reviewed 15 August 2014

In part I used the Hilton Manchester Deansgate out of curiosity. It is located in the lower 23 floors of the Beetham Tower, Manchester's tallest building, but its prices are usually well above the allowance available from the organisation for whom I was travelling on this occasion. But for once a room was available within the maximum allowance; I booked it knowing that it wasn't especially convenient for my business in the Piccadilly area.

It is a long walk from Piccadilly station, but nearer to Oxford Road, which is served by frequent trains. Deansgate station is actually very close, but has far fewer trains stopping there. The hotel is physically close to the Deansgate-Castlefield tram stop, but one either has to walk quite a long way in the wrong direction or climb steep steps to get there, even before picking one's way round the building works that completely blight most of Manchester City Centre at the moment.

Manchester has a very useful service of free shuttle 'buses in the City Centre, but unfortunately the route near the hotel is the only one which doesn't serve Piccadilly station.

The hotel is very convenient for the G-Mex Centre, which seems now to have adopted its former name as a railway station (Manchester Central), the Great Northern complex, the excellent Museum of Science and Industry and the Civil Justice Centre. In contrast to the Piccadilly area, there are few pubs or restaurants immediately obvious in the vicinity.

The ground floor reception area seems much larger than it is because of a mirrored wall. The staff were very helpful.

My room (on the 10th floor) was large, with floor-to-ceiling windows, a very comfortable bed, a good desk, two chairs and very good hanging and storage space. There were tea and coffee making facilities.

The bathroom was good, except for the tap for the basin. While I'm sure that its designer won all sorts of awards, it was a triumph of form over function: more water came from the top and bottom of the tap than the spout.

Some of the carpeting was rather tired, both in my room and the common parts.

The selection at breakfast was good, although the various sections (such as hot food, but with fruit by it, as opposed to cereals and croissants) were about as far away from each other as they could be.

On my allowance an executive room was never in question, but I thought that the queueing arrangements for the express lift to the 23rd floor were pretentious. But if they appeal to the kind of customer that this hotel wants to attract, so be it. This isn't sour grapes: if paying privately (when I do frequently pay for executive/Club Lounge access, especially after a long flight) I would have been put off by this arrangement and would have been deterred from using the hotel again. As it was, this was a source of amusement more than anything else.

Hilton's ridiculous prices for wifi access in the UK mean that no Hilton hotel in the UK will achieve an Excellent grade from me, but I wouldn't anyway grade this hotel as Excellent. It deserves a Very Good rating, but no more.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sarum_Castle

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your detailed review.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to detail your thoughts and experience following your stay. I am sorry that your stay with us did not wow you and your comments have been shared with my team.

I am pleased that your 10th floor guest room was to your liking and that it offered you the amenities to make your stay a comfortable one.

Hilton Worldwide is delighted to be able to offer our guests full WIFI access in all areas of the hotel including guest bedrooms. Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges and we are unable to alter this at hotel level. I have passed on your feedback to our relevant teams within the organisation.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Excellent Hotel with staff that catered to such a wide variety of Wedding guests. all tastes, standards and customs catered for without hesitation. We could find little to find fault with over a wonderful weekend break. Local places of interest on the doorstep includes the Coronation Street tour near to the Industrial and Heritage Museum. Overall 9 out of 10.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your recent stay and attendance at Wedding celebration which we had the pleasure of hosting.

I am delighted that we were able to cater for all attending the special occasion and we thank you for your kind words.

We certainly hope that we hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Great location and great hotel however Internet poor. A in room poor. Broken minibar unable to open. And broken room morrow hinge...

Minor things and breakfast was very good as was front desk service.

Room Tip: Make sure rooms are fixed before they are offered
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently. I am pleased that you encountered efficient service from our Reception team during your stay.

I greatly appreciate your feedback relating to our guest rooms. We have not received many negative comments regarding the repair of our guest rooms; however I can assure you that do have an ongoing preventative maintenance programme which covers all of our guest rooms. Please accept my apologies that your room was no in perfect condition on your arrival.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast offering prior to your departure, we are proud of our offering.

Thank you once again for your comments and the team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate hope that you will be returning to stay with us again to encountered a more positive stay.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stopped here for my partners 50th birthday.
Check in was quick and efficient, room was fine, very clean all you needed was included.
We booked in to their restaurant Cloud 23 for afternoon tea and cocktails at night.
Ridiculously expensive but the views are fantastic and worth a visit for a special occasion. Its situated in the heart of Manchester so great for getting about.
The breakfast was buffet style and well worth the money...set me up all day
Recommended

Room Tip: Visit Cloud 23 for the views
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for booking a room to stay with us to celebrate your partners 50th birthday; it was our pleasure to have you with us.

I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time in Cloud 23 and that you had the pleasure of enjoying the wonderful views over Manchester.

I can assure you that Hilton Manchester Deansgate is competitively priced with other hotels in the city and completed a cost analyst when putting Cloud 23 prices together.

My team and I hope that we are able to welcome you back to Hilton Manchester Deansgate in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The executive rooms here in this iconic building have incredible views, but the interiors are beginning to look a bit shabby. They are pretty large with all the necessary amenities, but it still seems to be that Hilton hotels all charge for internet access even having paid the very high price for the room on the exective plus floor. The latter gives you access to the executive lounge which shares the 23rd floor with The Cloud Bar. This looked extermely busy on Saturday for afternoon tea, but the access to the full facilities of the lounge were not available until 6pm which is not advertised when the booking was made. Access to Cloud 23 now has to be via a booking for even hotel guests no matter what level you have booked. On a positive note, breakfast was excellent and a check out time of 12 noon is welcomewherever you stay. Perhaps this Hilton is resting on its success and popularity and has allowed standards to slip. So, perhaps I should consider alternative hotels in Manchester next time, even although I have been a long time HHonors member !

Room Tip: There are NCP car parks close - expensive but the hotel can arrange 15% discount.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you taking the time to complete this review following your stay us.

Thank you for your feedback relating to our guest rooms, this will be shared with the teams. I do hope that despite this feedback that your guest room offered you a comfortable stay.

I agree, the views from the hotel are amazing and I am pleased that you had the time to enjoy them from the comfort of your guest room.

Thank you for visiting Cloud 23 during your stay. I am pleased to confirm that that our residents do receive priority when requesting to be included on the Cloud 23 guest list.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast offering prior to your departure and that our 12noon check out time was welcome.

The team here at Hilton Manchester Deansgate hope that as a valued HHonors member that we are able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Myself and my new wife booked to stay at the Hilton on our wedding night. I checked in before check-in time, due to the wedding time, and found all that to be swift and easy. The front of house staff wished us well and stored our bags away as the room was (understandably) not ready at that point.

Upon our evening return, we headed up to our 18th floor room, lovely views etc. We were left a congratulatory plate of chocolates and a glass of bubbly each, which was a nice touch.

We felt slightly short changed given that we had upgraded to an executive room, it was pretty standard, with an average sized bathroom, and certainly not a patch on the equivalent room at the Lowry hotel. Minor quibble - the TV would only find BBC1, everything else caused it to say 'loading' forever.

We were also disappointed with breakfast, there was a surcharge to have some lukewarm toast and fruit delivered to our room - again, compared to the Lowry this is poor, as they offered a full cooked breakfast in the room (on a table! with some plates provided!) at no extra cost.

It is nice to be able to say we stayed in a Hilton on our wedding night, and I personally always enjoy seeing Manchester from high up - but it was something that I won't be rushing to do again, given the cost - better options to be had elsewhere for a similar price. Disappointing given that we had been looking forward to the night there since we booked our wedding venue!

Room Tip: Ask for a high up room!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest

We are delighted that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your wedding day. Thank you for allowing us to form part of such a special and personal day.

I am pleased that you experienced swift service from our reception team and that you enjoyed the views from the comfort of your 18th floor guest room. However I am disappointed that your overall experience did not wow you and your comments have been shared with the team.

I appreciate that Manchester has a high number of quality hotels for our visitors to select from and we are thankful that you chose us on this special occasion and we truly do hope that you are able to return in the future.