“Overall a nice hotel but not worth the money”

Hilton Manchester Deansgate
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Overall a nice hotel but not worth the money”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed here for two nights while working in Manchester on business in Aug-14. Having previously lived in Manchester and never visited, I was excited to see the hotel and its Cloud 23 bar.

My room was quite large with an amazing view of the city.

I used the pool on my first night which was adequate in itself however the changing room was unclean and the floor covered with sodden towels, seemingly to mop up the excess from a leaking pipe.

On my first night I visited the Could 23 bar. This is a great bar with an outstanding view across Manchester and beyond. I feel it was rather over-priced for Manchester at £8 for small glass of red wine. I rarely pay that in London. As stunning as the hotel is, it's still in the heart of the North-West where a glass of wine simply doesn't cost that much, not matter where you are.

The same night I ordered room service which I'm 99% sure was a microwaved curry. This is poor considering I've been brought a properly-cooked meal in a roadside Holiday Inn before. You expect more from a Hilton.

Given I am a business traveller , I rely heavily on being able to use reliable WIFI in the hotel room and common areas. The WIFI was terrible and on my second night wouldn't connect at all. Again, not what you expect from a Hilton.

On my final night I ordered breakfast for the following morning to my room. This arrived stone cold. Again, not what you expect from a Hilton.

Altogether this is a stunning premium hotel in a superb location but the service provided lets the hotel down massively.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently.

Thank you for visiting our Livingwell facilities during your stay, however I am disappointed that the changing facilities were not immaculate on your arrival. The team in Livingwell clear and clean the leisure facilities on an ongoing basis and I am sorry that you visited at a time when they had not had the opportunity to clean as swiftly as they normally do.

I can assure you that Hilton Manchester Deansgate is competitively priced with other hotels in the city and completed a cost analyst when putting Cloud 23 prices together.

Please accept my apologies that you encountered issues with your wifi connection. I appreciate the importance of having a good wifi connection when travelling on business. I can assure you that I have shared your feedback with our IT department who have taken your feedback on board.

I am sorry that you did not encounter a positive food & beverage experience via Room service during your stay. I can confirm that all food items are prepared fresh on receiving an order. Our Food & Beverage Manager has been given visibility of your feedback and he will take the necessary action with his teams.

I do hope that you are able to stay with us again in the future as you have certainly not experienced us at our best.

John McLaughlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

This is a good looking hotel in a striking location. That's its main selling point. We paid £140 for a double room on a Thursday night (rip off). We were invited to pay a further £11 each for breakfast even though we were part of a group which had negotiated free breakfast. It proved difficult to persuade the hotel to take the charge off.

Breakfast was okay although it took 14 minutes to attract the attention of a waiter to take our hot drink order. Not impressive. I would have been outraged if we had actually paid £11 per person for this.

The single most off putting feature of this hotel is the astonishing cost of wifi. They have the audacity to charge £15 PER DAY for wifi. I've seen other reviews here where the hotel management have written a load of rubbish about in-room wifi representing extra quality. Let's get this clear - wifi is nothing special. It's like claiming that having carpet in a bedroom represents extra quality. To charge anything for it, let alone charge £15 a day, is utterly ludicrous and in fact means I will actively avoid Hilton in the future. I don't care if it's a group-wide policy. You are out of step with other hotels in your bracket and you should be ashamed.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank DulwichEd
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing this review following your stay with us.

I am sorry that you encountered poor customer service in Podium Restaurant at Breakfast. Our team members are trained to deliver excellent service at all times and I am sorry that this was not the case on your visit; the entire breakfast team have been addressed to ensure there is no recurrence.

Hilton Worldwide is delighted to be able to offer our guests full WIFI access in all areas of the hotel including guest bedrooms. Hilton hotels are transparent with regards to all of their charges and we are unable to alter this at hotel level. I have passed on your feedback to our relevant teams within the organisation.

I appreciate that Manchester has a number of quality hotels for our visitors to select from and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

On the face of it, a good hotel. Modern building , spacious bar, clean.
Decent gym.
But, too much went wrong to recommend it.
The wi fi was truly awful. I was trying to work and it kept dropping out. I'm a gold card holder , it was free, but that is unacceptable. The staff were clueless when asked.
Door knob on inside of bathroom was missing.
Various other small niggles, but at these prices , very unsatisfactory.
Hotel is well located for the trams.
I wouldn't return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your feedback with the team at Hilton Manchester Deansgate.

I am disappointed that your stay was less than perfect and that you encountered issues with your wifi connection. I have shared your feedback with our IT department who have taken your feedback on board.

As a Gold Hilton Honours member, I truly do hope that you have a change of heart and are able to visit us in the future on a business or leisure stay.

Crewe
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I love this place! My friend booked a nights stay in a Queen Deluxe room with spa treatments for my 21st birthday present! The staff on reception we're lovely & ensured we had everything we needed! The room was nice but quite basic for a Hilton, definitely paying for the view! We found that the bed wasn't actually a queen size either but just a basic double. The main thing that did bug us was the lack of lighting! Everything was so dull in the room! Also don't move anything from the minibar or you'll be automatically charged! I picked up some sweets, being nosey & was then charged for them (the nice receptionist removed the cost the bill when I explained :)) The bathroom was really nice with little touches (heated mirror which doesn't steam up..who thinks of these things!!). We went and got extremely drunk in Cloud 23 then went onto Deansgate Locks for some more cocktails! Make sure you order breakfast the night before because you'll get it cheaper! You get a really good selection of food all of which tasted really nice too! The hotel is also a short walk from the city centre so we were close to everything we needed.

The only thing not making this 5* was the spa! My friend treated me to some treatments & we had full use of the facilities. The treatments were lovely, we had a hot stone massage & a facial. However the spa area was extremely small & the pool area was quite dirty & not up to the standard you would expect from a Hilton. The whole spa area just looked like it needed a good clean! The tiles had come off the jacuzzi & pool in some areas, the sauna & steam room door window were extremely dirty. Other spa's that I have been to also provide robes for guests, we had to walk around in wet towels! That was the only downside, my friend got this deal at a discounted rate due to working in the travel industry. I would definitely return to the hotel but to be honest I wouldn't pay the full rate for the room due to other hotels I've stayed at before being at a higher standard.

Room Tip: Any! Higher up the better
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

I am thrilled that your friend choose to stay with us to celebrate your 21st birthday, I am delighted that a good time was had by all.

It sounds like you had a great time in Manchester and I am pleased that we were able to part of your celebrations.

I am really pleased that we were able to offer you a warm and efficient welcome on your arrival to the hotel. I can assure you that our entire Front Office team have been made aware of your kind words.

I am pleased that you found the location of the hotel to be suitable for the many amenities Manchester has to offer, we are very fortunate.

I am disappointed and surprised to read your feedback relating to our leisure facilities. The team in Livingwell clear, clean and repair the leisure facilities on an ongoing basis and they have been given visibility of your feedback.

I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast offering prior to your departure and I really hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels bring you back to Manchester.

Thank you once again for staying with us and we hope that you are able to stay with us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

When we arrived reception staff chatted with each other and we had to wait until they stopped. Then they looked at us and only when we started telling them we had a reservation they smiled at us. The room was ok but nothing special. WIFI costs you £15.00 per day, nothing complimentary. I think Hotels should finally stop this.
Breakfast was ok but obviously pasties were from day before, does that really still happen ?
We asked if we had to Q to go to the Cloud 23 and they said yes. There is no priority access for hotel guests. Too expensive for what you get. Won't go back and generally think Hilton had it's hey days.

2 Thank Kand T
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review following your stay with us.

I am disappointed to read your point regarding the manner of the Reception team whilst you were checking in. This is certainly not the feedback we ordinarily receive. The Front Office Manager has taken appropriate action.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast experience. I can assure you that all food is prepared fresh each day and is replenished on a regular basis to ensure that our guests receive a high quality breakfast. I can only apologise that on this occasion that you did not enjoy your breakfast.

Due to fire regulations we are restricted to 300 guest’s maximum at any one time on the 23rd floor and at times guests are choosing to queue to gain access. I am pleased to confirm that that our guests do receive priority when requesting to be included on the Cloud 23 guest list.

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and we certainly hope that you have a change of heart and that you are able to return to stay with us in the future when you will have a more positive experience.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Great hotel to stay in if you are looking for a central location to be in.

5* hotel with great service. The staff are all very welcoming and make sure you have all you need for your stay at the hotel. I always book an executive room, they are always on a higher floor which gives great views of the city. Room service and service within the executive lounge is always of a high standard too.
Rooms always have plenty of space and beds are extremely comfortable. Always have your own robes and slippers waiting in the room which is great if you are using the spa there.

Breakfast is fantastic also.

Parking is close by if you do not book the hotel parking.

Room Tip: Always go for higher floor rooms 17th floor upwards are fantastic rooms.
3 Thank Katiekins101
John M, General Manager at Hilton Manchester Deansgate, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Manchester City Centre.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I can assure you that all of the team members will be made aware of your comments as they serve as a great motivator.

Our team work hard to deliver high standards of hospitality at all time and I am pleased that on this occasion there was no exception.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed everything about your stay and my team and I truly do look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Glasgow
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for one night while visiting Manchester. The hotel is a skyscraper and has a very popular bar/restaurant called cloud 23 on the 23rd floor. It is well situated for walking around the centre of Manchester and there is an NCP car park next to it. Staff were efficient and friendly. We had a King Executive room on the 17th floor. It had floor to ceiling windows and fantastic views over Manchester. The room was clean and comfortable with all the facilities you need. With this room we had access to the Executive lounge which was also on the 23rd floor - what a fantastic bonus. We had tea and cakes in the afternoon, pre-dinner drinks and canopies from 6-8pm and a lovely breakfast the next morning. Breakfast was buffet style and there was a great selection of both hot and cold food. We also used the swimming pool which was more the kind for swimming lengths and there was a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Again very clean and staff very friendly. The executive lounge made this hotel stay special. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Get an Executive room so you can access the lounge
1 Thank roaringjam
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback with everyone, we really do appreciate it.

I am pleased that the location of the hotel was suitable for your needs. We are fortunate to be in close proximity of all that Manchester has to offer.

I am delighted that your 17th floor guest room offered you all the amenities to ensure you had a comfortable stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed the wonderful views from the comfort of your guest room too.

I am really pleased that you were able to stay in a one of our Executive rooms which allowed you to enjoy the hospitality of the team in our Executive Lounge.

My team and I hope that we are able to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon to enjoy another stay.