“Perfect location and decent value for money.”

Hatters Hilton Chambers
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Perfect location and decent value for money.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

A group of 6 of us stayed here for two nights. To sum the hostel up it is in the perfect location, only a 5 minute walk from Piccadilly Gardens and right in the middle of the Northern Quarter (which is full of fantastic bars and clubs). The room we had was basic, but clean and ideal for what we needed. The staff were helpful and friendly.

The ideal place if you're looking for a cheap, well located base for sampling the Manchester nightlife.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hatters111, Manager at Hatters Hilton Chambers, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thanks very much for leaving a review :) We're located in the Northern Quarter so there's dozens of bars and restaurants on your doorstep while you're staying with us!!

Our dorm rooms consist of bunk beds (4,6,8 or 10 beds) and are quite basic but we do have adaptors, hairdryers, towels and shampoo/conditioner at the desk which is manned 24/7 for anything you might need!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

On a recent extremely rainy night in Manchester, I used Laterooms.com to book accommodation at this hostel. Despite requesting a private room with en-suite facilities, and this being shown up on Laterooms.com, when I arrived at the Hilton Chambers, I found they only had dormitory accommodation in a 6-bed dorm with shared facilities. Clearly not what I had requested, booked and paid for. Despite my complaint I was left in the rain having to try to source alternative suitable accommodation which I did not thanks to either Laterooms.com or the Hilton Chambers.

In short, despite a written complaint showing the email which stated what I had booked, I was left out of pocket and extremely wet.

Not a great show by either of these companies.

Room Tip: As I did not stay there I can't comment, but if the lack of cleanliness of the public areas is a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank springbokrugby
Hatters111, Manager at Hatters Hilton Chambers, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
We are so sorry for what you experienced - unfortunately, laterooms does advertise our rooms as single en suites until you get down to the fine print where it states that you are booking a bed in a 4/6 bed en suite dormitory. Please trust us when we say that this is possibly as frustrating for us as it is for our customers - our aim is to keep our guests happy and this clearly doesn't help! In the case that we do have private rooms available we are happy to modify your reservation, but being a hostel, our rooms consist mostly of dormitory-style rooms. We will be getting in contact with the booking site to try to change the way our beds are advertised, but for now we can only beg, as painstaking as it is, that our guests read any fine print when not booking directly with us!

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed in late August 2013 with a friend as we were attending a convention in town. The hostel is a short walk from Manchester Picadilly which is extremely convenient with several shops nearby to grab some food, including plenty of late-night ones for convenience. We were checked in very promptly on the Friday with extremely courteous service and the staff were fantastic with explaining the hostel's features to us.

We were staying in a private room with an en-suite bathroom. The room was extremely clean and surprisingly spacious with the largest bathroom I have ever seen in a hostel or even a hotel - I was very impressed! Like many other guests we had to keep the windows open so there was quite a bit of noise but it IS possible to get used to it - if you are a light sleeper, however, DO remember your ear plugs. With the windows shut the majority of the noise is blocked, fortunately.

The breakfast is basic but filling but we were struggling to find somewhere to sit as the other guests (going to the same con) were eating all at the same time in the limited space. If you are fussy with your food then I recommend making other arrangements for food in the mornings. The first morning we were there they were running out of orange juice which was a shame but there is always water...

I recommend this hostel to anyone who needs somwhere to stay in Manchester for a short time. The location is fantastic and the facilities are basic for the explorer in Manchester. Features such as free Wifi, extremely friendly and helpful staff and extremely clean and bright surroundings made this a very pleasant stay for a great weekend. Thank you, Hatters!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LifesEagle
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Really good hostel: central position, good price, very clean and ordered (in the kitchen everything is in his place and labeled) , nice breakfast, very kind and helpful staff, 24/7.
Everything's good, the only negative point is that due the central position during the night you can hear confusion of young people in the street and out of the night clubs.
(Wifi not really good in all the rooms)

I recommend it and if I need I'll return there with pleasure!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Hatters111, Manager at Hatters Hilton Chambers, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Thanks so much, great title :p Our central location does mean that it can get a little noisy, but we do have earplugs at the front desk! Our tech guys that supply the internet are just a phone call away, 24/7 just like us so always come up if you have issues :)

We look forward to your return!!!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Check in was quick and staff were friendly. Stayed in a private double en-suite which had a very big bed and flatscreen tv on the wall. Bathroom was big and the shower was a shower/bath with good pressure (unlike many hostels where you get a trickle of water). Room was basic but very comfortable and I would definitely go again, cheapest place to stay in Manchester and very decent for the price. My only complaint was that it was a little bit noisy at night as we left the window open!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hatters111, Manager at Hatters Hilton Chambers, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Yaay! We are very cheap and cheerful too! While we obviously get paid to do this work, we also do it because we enjoy it and reviews like this make us very happy - so thank you :D
Aberdeen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I went to Manchester for a workshop and stayed at the Hatters Hilton chambers on the recommendation of the workshop organisers because they had a 3 for 2 nights offer for June. On their website Hatters instructed the public to call to take advantage of the 3 for 2 nights offer. So I called and spoke to a very kind and helpful young woman who took my details and my bank card details so that I could pay a one night deposit. They gave me a quote for the week - at £19.50 per night for 7 nights, minus the one night free through their offer.

I received no email confirming this. So a couple of days before I went to Manchester I called to confirm everything was ok. This time I spoke to a less helpful woman with a possibly french accent who had to check with 'the manager' about the offer - even though they still had it advertised on their website. She called back having spoken to the manager and confirmed that yes I could take advantage of the website. I asked her to email me a confirmation of this, she said she would but did not send any email.

When I got to the hostel, there was another young woman who was very confused by my booking - she first said that on the computer system it said I had paid everything. Then I obviously told her I hadn't - I had only paid a one night deposit. She then went on to charge my for 6 nights. I double checked the price and realised that this did not include the one night off through their offer and explained for the third time that I had been told that their offer (still advertised on their website) had been offered to me. We worked it out together and so I paid the price for 5 nights at £19.50 (1 night already paid over the phone, 1 night free through their offer).

I spent a whole week, 7 full nights and days at the hostel and no one mentioned anything to me. When I came to check out I was told, by a rather grumpy and unhelpful young woman that I still owed £17.50. By this time I had had enough of this lack of transparency and I lost my patience explaining in writing on a paper how I had paid what I owed on my first night. In fact if I owed any more money it would be £19.50 not £17.50. So this random figure was very strange.

Instead of understanding my frustration at having had to go through this now for the fourth time, she simply cut me off, would not talk to me saying she would simply talk to 'the manager' and asking me why I had not left... "why are you still here, I will take this to the manager" she said.

So I left. I now see that Hatters Hilton Chambers used my card details to withdraw £17 on the 6th of August - this was without my permission and of course since they never sent me any emails as they promised I am stuck without any paper work.

This is just to let other potential clients of Hatters Hilton Chambers know that you must get written confirmation of any offers they promise you because this was a nightmare and it is a great abuse of their position to have taken out the £17 without my permission!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LalGatt
Hatters111, Manager at Hatters Hilton Chambers, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
After having read this review, I would like to first off express my deepest apologies and also my empathy for the exasperating situation in which you found yourself at our hostel. I have tracked down your booking and been through our records of charges and payments etc., and I would like to offer you some explanation as to what happened.

It seems first of all that there was some misunderstanding with rates/down payments, as the total of your accommodation stay excluding the discount was £153.50 (£19.50 for the weekdays, £28 for the weekends), and NO deposit was taken (we only take advance payments for bookings over 7 people). Upon booking, a discount of £19.50 was applied, taking the total down to £134.

The girl who then checked you in is our newest member of staff, the date of your arrival being her second day on shift. After going through your booking history, I noticed a further discount of £19.50, understanding that she had seen the ‘3 for 2 offer’ note and was under the impression that she was to apply the discount herself. The outstanding balance on the system was now £114.50, however of course only £97.50 was taken.

As you and our member of staff were satisfied that the correct amount had been paid, there would have been no warning signs to suggest any need to look further into your booking. However (without frustrating you further with explanations of system logistics), I need to add that while we can add charges and discounts to an account balance, a discrepancy between a paid amount and an outstanding amount is not visible until we try to check guests out – and are unable to.

I hope by now I have not lost your interest with the abundance of numbers and calculations. On the 4th August, the staff member who tried to check you out will have been presented with the payment of £97.50, and the actual bill - standing at £114.50. This was the reason for the seemingly random charge of £17.

I would like to stress my awareness that this is a situation inexcusable by system flaws or new staff members - I explain this only for you to understand better what happened. Please get in touch if you would like us to send any copies of receipts, or if you feel that my calculations are incorrect. As a final note, I would like to sincerely apologise for any customer service that you did not feel was 100%.
Tasmania, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

The hostel is easily navigable from Manchester city centre and shopping district. When booking in at 5pm, the check-in clerk was eating behind the desk. Check in though was easy, and the 'public' areas of the hostel were well managed and quite spacey.

I paid £2 for towel hire. I thought this was quite expensive. The shower was just a dribble.

I stayed in a female dorm with 3-4 others, and surprisingly there was no fight for the one bathroom. The bed... was very hard. I was assigned the top bunk even though 3 of my fellow room mates were walk-ins and I had booked in advance. The pillow was a thin strip of cotton that when folded in 3 was still not adequate. There was a LOT of noise from the street until 4am, on a Wednesday night. The lorries and traffic then started at 7am.

I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Elle W
We're so sorry to hear about your bad sleeping experience, PLEASE just come to the desk and ask us if you have any issues! While we can't stop the Mancunians from partying, we always have time to get you another pillow, a pair of earplugs or even a room change if you think it would help!