“No A/C!”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I stay in IHG hotels every week in the UK & overseas and I have NEVER stayed in one that didn't have air conditioning in the bedrooms! Because if this I didn't have any reason to doubt this hotel would be different but it is! The room is stifling hot, open the anti suicide window which is pathetic and you'll be completely drowned out in traffic noise-constant droning. There is absolutely no way you can get a nights sleep in this heat & racket. I called reception it was explained that A/C is only in public areas. I was told on checking in by the deputy manager that he gave me one of the quiet rooms-I'd hate to have a noisy one!!!
DO NOT BOOK this hotel if you are expecting the normal HIX rooms with A/C.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Dp1033
Denise1922, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hi

Thank you for leaving a review of your stay, I can only apologise for the lack of air conditioning in the bedrooms, as we are a newly re-furbished hotel and did not have a/c before it was not part of the specifications to have it now. With feedback like yours to take to the management we now have a case to go forward and can apply for the funds to get this installed. This could take some time though as these things do but in the meantime we have been given the go ahead to purchase some fans to use on the rare occasion it is very hot in Manchester.

Thanks again for your feedback, without which we would not be able to move forward and improve our customer satisfaction.

Kind regards
Denise Jennings
Deputy Manager

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Of all the Holiday Inn Express hotels we have stayed in this has to be the hottest! Admittedly it was about 23-27 degrees outside but there is no air conditioning and the windows only open a small amount for safety reasons. The heat hits you when you get out of the lift to go to your room.. The hotel are trying to do something about this problem as other reviewers have said the same thing. It makes for an uncomfortable night!

Having said this the standard was the usual at Holiday Inn Express except the welcome we were given was not as good as usual. The receptionists were more interested in talking to each other. Over the period we stayed the other receptionists greeted us when we went in and smiled - very important!

The breakfast was very good and the lady on duty was excellent with helping people and clearing/tiding everything away, also replenishing things.

If you wish to do some sightseeing this hotel is handy for visiting Quarry Bank Mill, a National Trust property which is excellent and it is worth spending a day or more there. It is about 4/5 miles away and is signposted on the usual brown signs. It is currently featured in the Channel 4 programme The Mill and the walks/gardens are beautiful. There are also other lovely historical places to visit in this area although I don't think we saw any leaflets at the hotel and a lot of people staying there are of course going to catch a plane! A lovely area to stay.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and it was even though it was only on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bertie65
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

A convenient location for Manchester Airport. Good value for money as a full buffet breakfast was included with a nights stay.
Nice bar and restaurant area and the room was nice and quiet.
Would use again for trips to the airport.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 3 August 2014

On a recent business trip my colleague had booked accommodation at the nearby Marriott, but I was unable to book there so opted for HIExpress, being close by. The recently refurbished room was clean and of a good standard. As others have said, unfortunately there was no air conditioning, but thankfully it was not as warm as temperatures experienced of recent.

Breakfast was included in the price and was sufficient selection (cereal, yogurt, fruit, pastries and a small hot selection of egg, beans and sausage). I was told the Marriott were asking £15 for a continental breakfast and also charged extra for Parking.

The hotel has free Wifi (£6/hour at Marriott). The wifi is run by an external provider, which generates a key on request. There were a few difficulties with keys not working, but the staff were happy to help to try and resolve this.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We arrived in the morning after travelling 36 hours. Geoff and the staff made us very welcome and a room was made available although we were well ahead of a normal check in time. Staff in restaurant and bar were friendly.
It was very warm at night but the room was clean and tidy and the bed comfortable.
Free wifi

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed the night of July 10th - the Staff accommodated my checking in very early.
Geoff, Chris and Lisa did everything to make my stay a good experience. Room was great and breakfast and free wifi were fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank eledgerwood

Hi

Thanks for the great review, I will be sure to pass your comments on to the staff you have mentioned. Always nice to receive and give positive feedback :)

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again on a future visit.

Thank you again for using your own time to complete a review of the hotel.

Kind regards
Denise Jennings
Deputy Manager

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I arrived into Manchester Airport and used the (Holiday Inn Express) courtesy phone to phone the hotel. They said that they would send a taxi. After a wait of 55 mins I gave up waiting and just jumped into a taxi in the taxi rank. When I arrived, the reception area was totally packed and very chaotic. There was a queue of people waiting to check-in and another queue of people waiting to place drink or food orders at the bar (Which was just beside the reception desk). There were other people walking around looking for somewhere to sit (To eat or drink). Saying that the reception staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient.

I ate in their restaurant that evening and the food was very good.

The rooms were very nice and had everything I needed for an overnight stay. You have a choice of soft or firm pillows etc. The bathrooms were also very nicely finished.

The only down side to the room was that it was an extremely hot evening and there were no cooling facilities (air con) in the room.

I was in a hurry to catch a flight in the morning so I was down sharp at the breakfast start time of 6.30. The breakfast offering was very good valve, except on this occasion they had no milk!!! So this ruled out cereal and tea/coffee. I asked and they had sent someone out to buy milk. The milk arrived just as I left in a taxi.

Other than the milk issue the hotel was excellent value for money and I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business