“Handy location but hard to find!”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #75 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We were going to see Coldplay at the Etihad Stadium, less than 3 miles away so location wise it was great. Plenty of shops and bars in the vacinity too. Nice clean modern room, very comfy beds, although had booked a double (as orginaly going with boyfriend)got what they call a twin which is like two singles pushed together.(worked out better for us)
Satnav could not find this hotel, i think due to all the one way streets, took us over an hour to finally get to it and then the car park was almost full, i think we got the last space. But i think there maybe further parking at the shopping centre but you would need to check. The hotel say they have clear directions on the website and on the phone line, i didnt try these as didnt realise sat nav would struggle.

Room was small and walls paper thin, luckily we had good neighbours but you could hear their conversation. Hotel was fully booked and at reception was a notice to say check out would be at 11am not 12. Bit cheeky when youve paid £120+

Beakfast was good and the staff were helpful and friendly

Overall i did us well but over priced for what you get i would say

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 21 June 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us. I was pleased to hear that on the whole you were satisfied with your stay, you enjoyed your breakfast experience and found the team helpful and friendly.

I was sorry to hear that your struggled to find us. I can fully appreciate when driving in an unfamiliar City, how daunting it can be trying to find your destination, particularly when one way systems are involved too. We therefore do our utmost to try to communicate clear and informative directions to our guests to aid them in their journey. These do include directions that can be obtained from our website, a specific sat nav postcode to follow to gain access to our car park on York Street, as well as a recorded message on our main hotel telephone number.

Many thanks once again for your feedback and I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

David Daly

Write a ReviewReviews (3,179)

Reviewed 20 June 2012 via mobile

In the past I have stayed at this hotel when it was the Ramada for 3 days month over an 18 moth period. Unfortunatley the hotel and staff seemed to lack care and attention and standards went downhill and eventually i decided to stay elsewhere.

Having been unbale to book a reservation at my usuall hotel I decided to give the mercure a go seeing as in the past the hotel had been ideal and it now had new managment.

Upon arival I was met by a very friendly receptionist who was more than welcoming and who was more than happy to help.

The room I found to be the same standard as when it was the Ramada, clean comfy and large enough for me. The hotel in general still has the Ramada vibe and nothing had really changed since my last stay, apart from the attitude of the staff who now seem to have a spring in their step and are really keen to make your stay enjoyable. Obviously this is due to the new managment of the hotel as the Ramada in both Leeds and Salford have surley staff.

My only dissapointment is that I hoped Mercure would have put their stamp on the place as it still seemed same old same old to me; however, this isnt a bad thing as i felt like i had never stayed anywhere else during my visits to Manchester. But I would have liked to have seen some noticeable changes

I am now considering staying here again each month, but just need to consider the financial implication of this. Whilst the hotel is affordable, there are other hotels which are more cost effective.

All in all I would reccomed the Mercure if you want a comfortable and pleasant stay in Manchester. The food is also very good which is saying something coming from an ex hotel head chef!

Will be returning again if not for business then for pleasure :-)

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 21 June 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your review following your stay with us. I was so pleased to hear that you ‘made the right choice’ and that we had the opportunity to welcome you back following our rebranding to Mercure.

It was pleasing to hear that you had a comfortable and pleasant stay and I sincerely hope that we will be your preferred hotel choice on future visits to Manchester. If I can be of any assistance with your future accommodation requirements, then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

we went for our wedding anniversary and it was lovely we really enjoyed are selfs the hotel was fantastic no complaints at all only thing is that i think the hotel shud put a complimentry bottle of wine or sumthing

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear Guest

I was pleased to hear that you had a lovely break with us to celebrate your wedding anniversary. If guests inform us prior to arrival that they are celebrating a special occasion, we would always look to offer some form of gesture. I’m only too sorry that we didn’t have the opportunity to acknowledge your anniversary on this occasion.

Many thanks again for your feedback and do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

I first stayed at this hotel in the 1960's wwhen it was new. The general feel of the hotel is still the same. The room was quite small and so was the bed, but it was a standard double. The facilities were adequate and as it was just for one night did not matter too much. The staff were kind and helpful. I was disappointed in the restaurant for dinner, but breakfast was excellent and very plentiful. Would I stay there again, probably not, but, if you were looking for a central hotel with parking I would say give it a go.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us.

As you say, the Hotel began it's life back in the 1960's and albeit the exterior look of the Hotel has changed very little, over the years internally it has seen quite a number of changes, and only just a few years ago the whole Hotel underwent an £18million refurbishment. It was pleasing to hear, however, that during your time with us, you found the team kind and helpful and that you enjoyed your breakfast experience. I was sorry to hear though that you were disappointed with dinner.

It is a shame to hear that on a future visit to Manchester you may not consider staying with us again. If you do, however, have a change of mind, please do contact me personally as I would be delighted to assist with your accommodation requirements.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel last night for 1 night. It was a pleasurable 5 minute walk away from Manchester Piccadilly train station and the hotel is right in the centre of Manchester. We were welcomed by Joanne on reception - such a friendly lady and couldn't do more for us. Our room was on the 5th floor and the lift was brilliant - floor 5 came before we even realised we had set off. Our room was lovely - a perfect welcome. All the home comforts such as TV tea/coffee making facilities and very clean. The bathroom was lovely - great soak in the bath before the nights festivities. We attended a function actually in the hotel. The pre- dinner drinks and canapes were served by extremely friendly staff and the food was to die for. Having a bad back I like a nice firm bed which it was - had a great nights sleep.
At breakfast we were warmly greeted by Isobelle - what a lovely woman. Again nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was fabulous - after a night on the booze it was great to soak it up with cereal then a full english. I am used to having yucky sausages in hotels when we go away but these were lovely along with the bacon etc etc.... needless to say I wasn't up to much after eating all that!!!!
Prior to leaving I had a showround of the conference facilities as I work in the conference industry. Again, the member of staff that showed me round was brilliant - well done Paul!! I was very pleasantly suprised by the range of conference rooms on offer even getting a history of acts such as Shirley Bassey having performed in the hotel. Tip for anyone interested - Joe Longthorne is due to appear here soon - I bet that will be brilliant.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a great hotel in a central location in Manchester - not forgetting the wonderful staff who go out of their way to make a pleasurable stay for everyone. Well done to you all.
Linda & Garry (York)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Linda and Garry

I was absolutely delighted to read your tremendous feedback following your stay with us and I thank you for taking the time to share your whole experience of the Hotel with Tripadvisor.

It will certainly give me great pleasure to share your feedback with my whole team, giving particular mention to Joanne, Isabel and Paul.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

The hotel is located overlooking Piccadilly Gardens in the centre of Manchester. Easy walking distance from Piccadilly railway station and near metro link tram stops. The northern quarter, china town, gay village are within very easy walking distance as is the Arnedale shopping centre. When you enter the hotel from street level you need to get into the lift for reception. Our room had views across Piccadilly Gardens.

We booked a standard room through a Hotels.com hot deal so the price we paid was great and offered great value for money. The rooms are basic, the hotel was clean and the staff were fine. The only downside was we could hear virtually everything said next door through the window frame for some reason. But for a 1 night stay in the centre of Manchester we got value for money.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor following your stay.

As you say our central location couldn't be any better for easily accessing all that Manchester has to offer. We are aware that sound proofing can be an issue with some of our bedrooms and we currently working on solutions on how we can improve this. My apologies for the disturbance you encountered on this occasion.

Thanks again and sometime in the future I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Great location, large clean comfortable room, helpful staff nothing to much trouble for them.
Great food

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your valued value. I was delighted to read your positive feedback and hope that sometime in the future we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.