“Says what it is on the tin”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #75 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stayed here on business and it was OK.. There was nothing outstanding about the place as such, but it was nicely decorated, very clean and has everything you want from a hotel when staying on business. It's in an excellent location, very close to train station and shops and would happily stay again.. Strange that reception is on the 2nd floor though.. Wouldn't be my ideal place to stay on a romantic getaway - but like I said did the job for a business getaway..

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Dear Guest

I was pleased to hear that your stay with us met your needs whilst you were in Manchester on business. On a future visit to the City, I do hope that you will consider staying with us again.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

David Daly

Write a ReviewReviews (3,181)

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I've just got back from a two night stay with the other half at the Mercure for the Michael McIntyre tour. We stopped in the Superior room which, though not detailed during booking, does include all internet and on demand movies at no extra charge. However, the superior rooms are, peculiarly, on the lower floor (fifth) when one would expect better views. The location could not have been better, around 400 yards from the high street shops and 300 from the nearest Yates's bar. The bed was comfy and the hotel was quiet and cosy. The lifts were busy at times but that is to be expected with 12 floors but they are particularly fast. I would recommend most highly. Please do note to look up the car park on Google street view first because SatNav will take you to the front door of the hotel which will make it difficult to get to the car park via the one way system. Secondly there are two levels of window within the room so you have a home made refrigerator.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for posting your review of our Hotel following your two night stay with us; it really is appreciated.

Following your experience, I was pleased to hear that you would happily return and with this in mind, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

Lovely modern hotel right in the heart of Manchester.Check-in and out were quick and easy, staff were lovely and friendly and security was excellent on the door late at night.

We stayed on the 8th floor, room and bathroom really modern and clean and remarkably quiet. Best thing was the breakfast, a delicious selection of full english delights, cereal fruit and sweets.

Trams and buses are right outside if you need them, its about 8 mins walk to Manchester Piccadilly and about 10 minutes up to the Northern Quarter.

Whole stay was great, highly recommended.

Room Tip: We were quite high up, but 8th floor was really quiet

Dear Guest

I was delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and I thank you for taking time out of your schedule to post such a positive review.

Thank you too for your recommendation and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I have stayed in several Mercure hotels in the UK and in France and have rated them quite highly.
This was an exception. The room was tiny and the furnishings drab, and in need of replacement.
It was probably clean but the carpet was so dingy I really didn't want to walk on it barefoot. Throughout the hotel, in public areas and corridors, there was a vile selection of similarly dingy, bad taste carpets. Who designs these? and why would anyone buy them?
The bathroom was grim. The bath was chipped and scratched and consequently didn't look very clean.
The windows were in a funny position and I had to stand on a chair to see out. Even then it was difficult as they were streaming with condensation. I really couldn't bear to stay here again.

One good point. The staff on reception were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Firstly, I was pleased to hear that you found the Reception team friendly and helpful but was sorry to hear that the furnishings of the hotel in terms of design and decor was not to your liking. As a Company, we are committed to investing in our property to ensure that we are always looking our best. I am only too sorry that we did not impress you on this occasion.

Thank you for your review and I do hope sometime in the future you may return and allow us to provide you with a more positive experience.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

The Mercure is clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have found. The room (12th floor) was adequate but there was street noise all night.
Staff were all friendly and helpful but it was WAIT for check-in at reception, long WAIT for lifts every time we needed to go up or down. Very long WAIT to get a table at breakfast, followed by ridiculously long WAIT queueing for the breakfast buffet.
Dinner service in the brasserie was slow (although there appeared to plenty of staff wandering around) but the meal was well worth waiting for.
Overall, it was acceptable for a short stay and I got a good price-deal. If I had paid full price I would not be so forgiving.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback. My apologies for the wait times you encountered. Please be assured that this is not the ordinarily high levels of service that the hotel wishes to prevail. I will ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

Many thanks again for your candid feedback and do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

this is a good hotel and value for money, but in the standard rooms, you can do better (I liked the Days Inn). This trip the location worked for us as my friend was arriving on a local bus and I was arriving from Piccadilly Station. Otherwise, the location is a bit dodgy, especially on a Friday night, and there were sirens going all night and people screaming on the streets.

I don't know why they consider 2 twin beds separated by an inch, to be a twin room. If I wanted to sleep that close to my travelling companion, I'd book a king bed. We managed to change the room around to suite our needs, with some trepedition as there is an old and possibly not too clean carpet on the floor.

Either configuration, the room was small, and the walls, as others have mentioned, are very thin. Booking.com gives this a hotel an 8.4 rating. I wonder if they got it wrong and it should have been 4.8?

Room Tip: This is the first time I have not agreed within a few points with booking.com. I stayed because I g...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are fortunate to be in a prime location in the City, however, Manchester is indeed a vibrant City and as such, you do find, particularly at weekends, lots of people out and about in the early hours and the hustle and bustle outside the Hotel, can sometimes be of disturbance to some guests who may not be used to such an environment.

I was sorry to hear that the first room allocated to you was not to your satisfaction. We do have varying room types at the hotel and I can see that the team did offer you an alternative room to suit your needs.

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and as such, we monitor all feedback avenues, such as the one you have mentioned. Such sites allow guests to leave a true and informed review of our Hotel and I am pleased to say that many of the reviews on this site are extremely positive.

Although I can see you have a preferred Hotel choice, I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to a Mercure Hotel.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Have stayed in the mercure loads of times, and never had an issue or problem....but how quickly things can change.

Went down for sunday morning breakfast on the 28th (oct 12), and walked into mahem. Que'd for 20 minutes to get seated, at this point i knew this would be interesting, as i noted a distinct lack of staff on the floor. The seating area to the rhs of the Q for breakfast had all the tables littered with dirty plates- which seemed to have been there for a considerable time. The lady who was seating everyone was very appologetic, and quite flustered.

Went over the chief and asked for poached eggs and kippers..and was told NO- im to busy!! I couldnt believe my ears, as he promptly walked off. He was obviously under pressure, as lots of people were commenting on the lack of cooked breakfast items. Managed to get some tomatoes/sausages- as there was nothing else. Had to go and request tea/coffee/toast as i got the feeling no one was going to bring it, as we had already waited 10 mins.

On way out,i noticed the bar area was packed with dirty plates waiting to be cleared...all i can say is- i wish i had my phone with me, to show TA readers how quickly a hotel, which i rated as good- can very quickly unravel its self!

Overall "as expected" hotel stay which was marred by a terrible breakfast experience, rude chef, and lack of staff.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank DucatiBiker

Dear Guest

My sincere apologies that your breakfast experience on Sunday morning marred your stay with us on this occasion.

Operationally, breakfast on Sunday morning did not deliver to the normal high standards that you have come to expect over the many times you have stayed with us. We know exactly what went wrong and we are confident going forward that what you encountered will not be repeated. I am only too sorry for the shortcomings you faced on this occasion.

Although I do appreciate your disappointment, I do hope that your experience on this occasion has not totally marred your opinion of us and that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and deliver to you the breakfast service you have always previously enjoyed.