“Excellent”

Ranked #64 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Grimsby, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stayed in this hotel for my husbands 45 birthday in a superia suit it had a bathroom bedroom and livingroom the standard was excellent breakfast was very Gud wiv plenty of choice we would deffo stay again everything on the door step

• Stayed November 2012
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that you had an excellent stay whilst celebrating your husband’s birthday and I thank you for posting such a positive review.

On a future visit to Manchester, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

Great city location, especially for bars and restaurants in the Northern Quarter.

Rooms were clean and comfy, I had a problem with my first room but I was able to change it without any problems.

I didn't have breakfast in the hotel but the bar was great with a good view of the city and the staff were really lovely.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us.

I was sorry to hear that you initially had problems with the first room allocated to you but was pleased to hear that the team reacted accordingly and room moved you without any problem.

Our Restaurant and Bar on the third floor of the hotel does indeed offer great views of the City and many guests do spend relaxing time in this area watching the hustle and bustle of the City below.

Many thanks once again for your review and I do hope that sometime in the future, we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

Excellent hotel, in a really convenient place, just minutes away from Piccadilly railway station by foot. I was there for a course, and the training centre was just across the road, with a decent pub next door. The place was clean, and the staff attentive ... maybe sometimes a little too attentive, you tend to get asked if you want tea or coffee about four times while you're having breakfast when all you want to do is stare out of the window :-) Talking of breakfasts - also excellent if you have them in your deal. I lived all day on the strength of the breakfasts.

And that's the downside. £12.50 for fish & chips to the room. The TV had terrestrial channels only for free, with a "special offer" of £20 a day to get the rest of the channels. A film was £6 - £15 a shot, which I thought was extortionate. I didn't even ask about getting the internet enabled.

Room Tip: Try to avoid getting a room next to the lifts and cleaner's rooms ...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for posting your review following your stay at the Hotel whilst attending a course.

I was pleased to hear you found the hotel to be excellent and in particular you enjoyed our breakfast offering.

We do regularly monitor our food & beverages charges and our prices do fall in line with what other City Centre Hotels charge.

Our TV system has just been upgraded and this system does offer guests an informed choice of either purchasing individual channels or purchasing the full communications package, which does includes unlimited movies, music and internet and this does work out more cost effective if a guests wishes to regularly use these services.

Thank you once again for your review and on a future visit to Manchester, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again.

Bergen, Norge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

The hotel is situated very central in Manchester, and gives you a perfect start for exploring the city. You'll find the reception on the second floor, just take the elevator up. My impression of the staff is very good. They are helpful and smiling. I would highly recommend this hotel. I'm not really aware of the price, bacause the hotel was included in package price for a football trip. We lived on the ninth floor and had a great view! Try to get as high as possible. The breakfast had a great variation, with both english and continental choices.

Room Tip: Choose a floor high up to get a great view.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Dear Guest

It really is appreciated that you have taken the time to post your review of our Hotel following your visit to Manchester to watch football.

I do hope on a future trip to the City, that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

This is an excellent example of a Mercure hotel, in a stunning location.

From the outside the building is hard to love with the grey concrete tower block looming over Manchester's Piccadilly Gardens, but once you are inside you wouldn't know how ugly the outside of the building is.

I had a room on the 6th floor which was very comfortable, if a little small, but with stunning views over the city centre.

The bed was very comfortable, the room and bathroom spotlessly clean and the shower refreshingly powerful.

The lounge bar on the third floor offers amazing views over Piccadilly Gardens.

Staff were all friendly and helpful.

Positives:
Excellent location (very close to the tram stop and only a couple of minutes walk from Piccadilly station)
Comfortable rooms
Friendly staff
Excellent breakfasts

Negatives
From the outside the building is not one you could ever fall in love with (ok I am being really picky here to find negatives!)

• Stayed November 2012
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your review following your stay with us. Many guests do indeed comment that our central location is of great benefit and couldn't be better in terms of getting out and about to explore all that Manchester has to offer. It was pleasing to hear also that you enjoyed your breakfast experiences during your time with us and you found the team friendly and helpful.

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post your experience on Tripadvisor and I do hope on a future visit to the City, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Coventry
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here last week whilst working in Manchester
The rooms are clean and tidy although the ceilings are low, so limited space when using the shower
The reason for only rating it as poor is the attitude of the staff, at best they just do their job, at worst they appear to be almost rude.
Each night on return to the hotel my key card failed to work, so it was necessary to go back to the 2nd floor to obtain a new one, this was issued after comments about keeping the card near mobile phones, it wasn't or some other things that were my fault! Not once did anyone actually apologise or even suggest that the problem was not caused by me!
On checking out yesterday morning at 7 a.m. there appeared to be some problems with computers and printers and the whole process was carried out without any interaction between me and the member of staff, other than to ask how I was paying.
The issue with staff attitude seems to be throughout the hotel, the bar staff are slow, look the other way, and generally do not seem interested.
The location of the hotel is good, but the attitude of the staff would encourage me to consider other option next time I am in manchester

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

Firstly, may I offer you my apologies for the issues that you encountered during your stay.

It goes without saying, that I was extremely disappointed to hear your feedback regarding staff attitude during your time with us. As you can see from many reviews that have been posted previously, the team at the hotel are frequently recognised and praised for their friendliness and helpfulness. I am only too sorry that on this occasion you did you feel that this was the case. As a Company, we regularly run 'passion for service' customer care training sessions with the team and as such, I will share your comments with my HR Manager who can use your feedback as an example of how easily a guest can receive such a poor impression by the manner in which certain situations are dealt with.

I can see from your feedback that whilst working in Manchester you like our central location and although I can see your reluctance at the moment to return, I do sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and to be able to show you the high level of customer care and attention that is normally delivered at the hotel.

David Daly

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

We stayed for one night for a concert at the Arena. Hotel is situated in town just minutes from the shops, train station and the local trams. Its also only a 10min walk from the Arena. Reception staff were very helpful. Hotel was clean and tidy and the rooms were decent, the beds were very comfortable. The best thing for us was you didn't have to checkout till 12pm next day. Overall a pleasant experience.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
Dear Guest

I was delighted to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay with us and I thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay with your fellow Tripadvisor readers.

On a future visit to the City, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.