“Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #64 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel is in the middle of Manchester. A great location. The room was clean and good. It was a weekend the rate for the breakfast was £7.50. We found the breakfast very good. We would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor. We asked and got an executive room, but without the frills, ie rope slippers...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and in particular, you had the opportunity to experience one of our new privilege rooms.

Many thanks for your recommendation too and I hope that it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wales
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The location of this hotel was great, in central Manchester and close to most things. I was surprised at the low standard of this hotel as I was of the opinion that the Mercure brand was of a higher standard than Novotel. Rooms were okay for 1 person (which appeared to be the majority of the clientele who seemed to be on business) but pretty woeful for 2 people - bed was standard double and more like a trampoline than a bed, not exactly conducive to a good night's sleep!!

The bar was nice and staff were friendly. Breakfast was below average although the staff were very pleasant and helpful. We were asked on arrival if we required breakfast at £9.50 per head, we weren't sure but were told we could decide in the morning - HOWEVER, the Receptionist failed to mention that buying on the day incurred an additional £4 per head, £13.50 each for a less than average fry up!! We argued at Reception on check-out but the bill was not amended.

Okay for a cheap stay as long as its short and there is only one of you!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to hear that you found our location spot on in terms of getting out and about in Manchester and you found the team friendly and helpful. It was however disappointing to hear that the accommodation element of your stay did not meet your expectations fully and that the conditions with regard to purchasing our promotional breakfast offering was not clearly communicated to you, for which I apologise.

It is appreciated that you have taken the time to share you experience with me and I do hope that sometime in the future you may give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We stayed here on a city break to Manchester and it was chosen due to the location. A major bus/tram interchange is literally on its doorstep.

The room was located on a high floor and it was not large, a double bed was provided and the room and hotel was kept clean. We had an included breakfast, went early on both days as it was a weekend stay, service was friendly and efficient.

Great value for money and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your review following your City break to Manchester; it really is appreciated.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope that it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I stayed in the Mercure Hotel for a business conference from the 8th to the 10th of March, I loved it. First off - it was in an epic location - near the train station - ideal!

Secondly, I cannot say enough good things about the staff. The lovely lady who helped us at reception was kind, funny and gave us such a warm welcome we even called her Princess, I really, really wish I could remember her name - top class.

The rooms were comfortable, and extremely snazzy, the bedding was uber comfortable (though I didn't sleep much, haha).

I also have to give a big shout out to Alex - the bartender who works on the third floor - he was by far my favourite staff person at the hotel. Always smiling, always having a kind word to say, joked with the people at the bar. Really, really amazing service. You guys should give that kid a raise! :) He handled our bunch of rowdy marketers with the best quality service you can imagine.

We ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel every day, was beautiful and delicious.

Over all - I'd definitely, happily stay there again!

Good work guys!

Room Tip: We had a room on the sixth floor - room 606 - was ultra big and cosy! Top class!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jovana_Sumar
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your most positive review of the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel following your stay with us back in March for a business conference.

I am delighted that you had a great stay and that you found our facilities, service and team members, in particular one of our Receptionists and Alex in Bar on 3, to be excellent. It will certainly give me great pleasure to share your kind feedback with the team.

Many thanks once again and I hope that it won't be too long before you are able to return and stay with us again.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 April 2013

The hotel is ok for an overnight business stop in Manchester since it has a great central location. But very functional. Had to ask for a room change since the cleaners had left dirty cups and old newspapers in the room. To be fair it was dealt with quickly and I was upgraded to a suite so full marks for rectifying things but shame it happened at all. Would have no issue with going back but would not choose it for a city break with my wife since there are more attractive hotels in the centre with a bit of character.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us.

I was extremely disappointed to hear that on arrival you were checked into a dirty room, please accept my apologies. Although I was pleased to hear that this matter was resolved quickly and to your complete satisfaction, as you say, it should not have happened in the first place and you have my assurance that this matter will be addressed accordingly.

It was pleasing to hear that you would have no issue returning but perhaps if you were visiting Manchester leisurely with your wife, your preference at the moment would be to perhaps stay at an alternative hotel. It goes without saying that it would give us great pleasure to welcome yourself and your wife to our Hotel and if I can be of any assistance, then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel with a group of friends for a weekend break. It is a perfect location, with buses, shops, restaurants and bars right outside. The rooms were compact but very clean and quite modern with everything supplied, coffee making, iron, hairdryer etc. The beds were comfy and we slept really well. The staff were friendly too. We paid for breakfast at reception which meant we got it at half price rather than at the restaurant the next morning. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms are fine
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for sharing your experience of the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel following your visit to the City with friends; it really is appreciated.

I was delighted to hear that you had a great stay and on a future visit to Manchester, we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Overall I was very pleased with this hotel. The location is great if you are planning a night out in nearby clubs or a shopping trip, and its just a short walk from Picaddilly station. The hotel is beginning to show its age, and there are signs of this in the rooms, for example the tiled floor in the bathroom, although the rooms have been updated and there is certainly nothing badly wrong with them. The room was a good size, with great views over Manchester. The bed was comfortable, the aircon was quiet and there was very little noise, although I was at the end of a corridor. My bathroom was not spotless, but it was OK. In the morning I did note a supervisor issuing very clear and specific instructions to staff about how to clean, so perhaps there was a newbie or two cleaning my floor; it certainly indicates a positive approach by management. The breakfast was fairly standard in terms of choice, but the quality of the food, including the cooked breakfast, was very good and I enjoyed it. Coffee came in a cafetiere, which was nice (not some overcooked stuff sitting on a hotplate for ages). The restaurant has a great view over Piccdilly Gardens. Prices are a bit variable for this hotel - at the cheapest it represents outstanding value, but on the whole, I'd say it was very good value for central Manchester. I would definitely stay there again. My only significant grouch is that the bathroom was not terribly well lit - but then it would certainly not be the first time I've had this problem in a hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your constructive review following your stay with us. Guest feedback is extremely important as allows me to monitor performance and make changes where necessary. It also aids my requests for capital expenditure to invest in the property to ensure it is always presenting at its best.

Overall I was pleased to hear that you were happy with your stay and trust that it won't be too long before we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.