“A very pleasant and pleasurable experience, friendly staff especially staff on reception”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #64 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Greeted by Joanna and zuzanna at reception could not have asked for staff more nicer after a long journey from London. Food was exceptional which completed a fantastic stay. Will certainly be returning.

• Stayed April 2013
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that you had a fantastic stay when you visited us recently. The welcome you received from Joanna and Zuzanna was also a delight to read and it will certainly give me great pleasure to share your feedback not only with these two young ladies, but with the whole team too.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Stayed here in December to visit the Christmas markets and the imax cinema. Very central hotel, excellent location just next door to Primark/Debenhams and other shops. very friendly staff, warm welcome. nice clean modern rooms with flat screen television, dressing table and mirrors. Lovely modern bathroom. Nice stay overall, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your review following your stay with us back in December. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and found our central location excellent for getting out and about. I was pleased to hear too that you would definitely come and stay with us again and with this in mind, I hope that it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

We stayed at the Mercure Piccadilly just for one night and would definitely use this hotel again whenever I'm stopping in Manchester. Great value, very clean, spacious room, really helpful staff, excellent breakfast. Overall excellent.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us, so I thank you for taking the time to post your experience of our Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to hear that overall you had an excellent stay and on a future visit to Manchester, you would definitely stay with us again. We look forward to welcoming you back again on that occasion.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I called to book a table for afternoon tea for myself and a friend and my 5 year old daughter. when i spoke to man on the phone i did advise that it was for 2 adults and a 5 year old.
THEN, we arrived to the brasserie on the 3rd floor, we were seated near the window which was lovely, we ordered a glass of wine and some juice for my daughter, then i asked we could have 2 afternoon tea's and just a ham sandwich for my daughter (she could eat some of my cakes), he then told me that it was OK as it was all in hand.
he then brought the afternoon tea stand for 3 people, i wasnt very happy about this as i hadnt called to pre order my food, i had called to book a table.
i thought it was a bit sneaky to make it for 3 adults. anyway i didnt want to take the shine off the day out so i took it on the chin.

the waiter then disappeared without bringing our tea (it was afternoon tea after all)
my friend got up to look for him as it had been approx 15/20 mins, and we wanted our tea before eating our cake.

eventually another waiter appeared, when we asked where our tea was he abruptly replied "its on its way". they didnt however ask us which tea we wanted and so my fiend went back to tell him we wanted english breakfast. eventually it came.

when we were done, we asked if we could take the left over cakes home (the couple on the table next to ours also did so, and were given a clear plastic cake box)

we however got them wrapped up in tin foil, which we were not happy about. i felt the waiter had sensed we were not pleased about the tea (not that we complained or were rude or unpleasant)

as for the afternoon tea itself, it was positively average. the cucumber sandwiches were very soggy, probably because they had been made in advance and left to sit there, not sure.
there was a custard and fruit tart, which was ok, but the custard was extremely runny. merangue nests i though were a bit of a cop out and a frangipan/bakewell slice, which had an overwhelmingly strong almond essence flavour.

the idea of afternoon tea is the whole ceremony of it all, why else would you pay between £12-£25 for a sandwhich and a bit of cake, which is why this was so disappointing.
i didnt expect 5 star food, but i did expect good service, however we got neither.

next time i will stick with harvey nicks or opus one.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Dear Guest

It goes without saying that I was extremely disappointed to hear that you did not enjoyed your Afternoon Tea experience when you visited us recently with your friend and young daughter.

We have been operating Afternoon Tea in The Brasserie now for quite some time and always receive positive feedback regarding the high quality and level of service offered. I am only too sorry if you believe this was not the case on this occasion. Your feedback will be shared with both my Head Chef and Restaurant Manager, who I know will be equally as disappointed to receive your feedback as I was.

Although I can see you do have alternative venue preferences for Afternoon Tea, I know that they would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in us. With this in mind, I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity again sometime in the future and that we can provide you with a more positive experience.

Thank you for your feedback on this occasion.

David Daly

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This is my first review, the reason being that I have never been angry enough to write a review before.

My boyfriend and I were booked in for one night over a weekend. When we arrived there was a big group checking in at reception. After 10 minute wait (during which no extra staff joined to help with the group) we were checked in. We soon realised that we had been put on the same floor as the large group booking with their rooms either side of us and across the corridor. We also realised immediately that there was absolutely no sound proofing in the room in which we were staying and we could hear, word for word, all of the conversation in the rooms next to us.

Whilst I completely understand that you can expect large groups staying with you in a central hotel in a city I think you could at least expect, as a couple, to be placed away from them on a quieter floor.

We got absolutely no sleep due to people wandering around the corridors, shouting and slamming doors throughout the entire night.

Great location but this hotel needs a serious revamp, during which sound proofing desperately needs to be investigated.

If you want to stay out all night this hotel is great. If you want to sleep at any point do not bother.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KHodge1985
Dear Guest

I was sorry to hear that your stay with us was marred as a result of noise disturbance.

Room allocation is indeed important when we have large conference groups staying with us, or indeed when we are aware of larger parties coming to visit to celebrate perhaps a birthday, hen party etc. On these occasions, we do always aim to accommodate these guests on the same floor as much as we feasibly can, but we do have to bear in mind their room type requirements, and also work round guests who may already may be staying with us. I am only too story to hear that on this occasion you were disturbed by the noise created by a group. Unfortunately on occasions noise disturbances can be created by some guests but if such instances are reported to us, or the team come across a situation during their walk rounds of the building, they are trained and instructed to bring any situation to a satisfactory conclusion for all concerned.

With regard to noise transfer, we currently have a Company on site creating two sample rooms with works they believe will help reduce noise transfer. Once these works are complete, we will then make a decision on the best way forward.

I am sorry that the disturbance you encountered on this occasion has marred your opinion of us and do hope sometime in the future you may give us another try and that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I was going to be in Manchester for a long weekend, and decided to treat myself to a Superior Double room at the Mecure! Wow! I was not expecting a suite, which is exactly what I got on the 14th floor. I was very impressed. Had impressive views over the City and as a corner room there was alot to see.

The kingsize fourposter bed was as wide as I am tall, and not the most comfortable bed but was good enough. The sitting room also had a dining table which could accommodate four people if needed.

On the surface it was very clean, but I found cigarette ash on the window sill, which I complained about straight away, and this was dealt with very promptly by the Housekeeping Manager. The next day between the double glazing further along the window (they were big windows) I found cigarette ends in an empty milk carton, so I would say they are not that thorough with their cleaning. On Saturday afternoon I came back to the suite and the cleaner was still there, it did make me wonder, as she was putting the coffee cups in the bathroom sink - does this mean they are just rinsed or does she have washing up liquid and clean them properly?? Much as I was totally and utterly impressed, the bedding did smell musty (maybe put away damp), and I once I noticed it, I smelt it all weekend.

All the staff I spoke to were very pleasant, friendly and helpful.

I ordered room service on Friday night and told it would be 20 - 30 minutes but turned up getting on for 60 minutes later. The ice-cream still had ice chips in it, but overall the food was pleasant and value for money.

This hotel is very central for shopping and Picadilly Station (10 minute walk). And I would say about a 20 minute walk, depending which way you go, to the Eithad Stadium.

Be warned, they do try and change the rate you are charged, I was complaining about the change in rate when I was checking out (to what I thought I had booked online), as was another couple who were also checking out at the same time. Keep all your relevant documents regarding your booking on you, and you will have a wonderful stay at this hotel and I would use it again, and was really impressed with the suite, which was a fraction of the price of some other hotel rooms.

Even though it was central, there was very little noise to disturb you other than the occasional emergency service siren.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your review following your stay with us. I was pleased to read that you were impressed with the Suite that you were allocated. Indeed the views from our 14th floor bedrooms on a clear day in particular, are quite something. It was however concerning to hear of the housekeeping issues that you came across. Your feedback has been discussed with my Head Housekeeper who was in turn equally as disappointed as myself to read your comments, particularly as on the whole we do normally receive positive feedback from our guests regarding the high standard of cleanliness within our bedrooms. Nonetheless, she has asked for her apologies to be associated with mine, if we appear not to have lived up to this standard on this occasion.

I was pleased to hear that you found the team pleasant, friendly and helpful during your time with us.

My apologies for the delay that you encountered with your room service order. I will be investigating why this delay occurred with my Restaurant Manager & Head Chef, along with the point you have raised over the ice cream. It was pleasing to hear that when you did receive your room service meal, overall you enjoyed it.

Our central location is indeed commented on regularly by our guests as you can so easily get out and about to explore all that Manchester has to offer.

Please be assured that we would never attempt to change a guest's rate that has already been contracted in our system and I am sorry if this appeared to be the case on this occasion.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience of the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly and having read that you would visit us again, we therefore look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Just got back home after a nights stay at the Mercure. This hotel is in the city centre, a great location, minutes from Piccadilly Train station. We celebrated our wedding anniversary this weekend, so chose to stay overnight. Breakfast is brilliant, plenty to eat, even had fried bread this time. We stay at this hotel a few times a year, i have just booked to go back in July for my birthday. All staff are friendly and polite and seem to love doing their jobs. Would highly recommend this hotel, looking forward to going in the summer.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel following your stay with us over the weekend to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

I was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that you have booked to stay with us again later in the year for your birthday. With ths in mind, we look forward to welcoming you back again later in the year.