“A Truely "Superior Room"”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #67 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Chester
“A Truely "Superior Room"”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My fiancée and I stayed here Thursday evening so that we could get all of our Christmas shopping done over Thursday and Friday and visit the Christmas markets. We managed to book a superior room on a deal with breakfast included. I had stayed at the Mercure in Bristol in October which was excellent and we wanted a similar experience. We were not disappointed. We parked in the hotel car park on arrival on Thursday morning until we left at 4pm on Friday and we only paid £25 for this which is the cheapest parking charge for this period we've found in central Manchester and certainly cheaper than return train tickets. The location of the hotel is absolutely brilliant. We are fortunate enough to know Manchester very well, but as a visitor, you can rest assured that you are right next to the main shopping area, Arndale Centre and a stones throw away from the Printworks. The hotel staff were very friendly and more than happy to check us in early. The room was lovely. We had a very comfortable super kingsize bed with a two seat sofa, coffee table and flatscreen television with on demand movies included of which there was a great choice. The good sized dressing table also housed a Nespresso machine which was a big bonus and we could access the higher speed Wi-Fi at no extra cost. Although the bathroom was small, it was very clean and the bath was very comfortable and the hot water plentiful. We ate in the restaurant on Thursday evening which was excellent. The food was awesome (as I had also experienced in Bristol) and the view rom the restaurant is over Piccadilly gardens which is lovely with all the Christmas lights on at night. Breakfast again was very good and the staff friendly and helpful. We had a great stay and we wont hesitate to return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eagertoseetheworld
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that you had a great stay with us and I thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience of your stay with us with your fellow Tripadviser viewers.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cork
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend. The only thing this hotel has going for it is its location. The rooms are small, cold with draughty windows, noisy both from the streets outside and the adjacent rooms. The beds are too soft and the mattress had a dip in it from over use - could have done with being turned regularly. Even though there were 2 of us we only got enough toiletries for 1 person. The bar is okay but the toilets are not on the same floor, you have to take a lift or the stairs down to the Mezzanine floor to 'spend a penny'. Would not stay here again even though it is well placed for city centre shopping.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your weekend stay with us. Apart from our location, I was sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations to the full, please accept my apologies.

It is a shame to read that at this moment in time you wouldn't stay with us again but would hope sometime in the future you may have a change of heart and that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Durham England
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Stopped two nights for business, very nice, clean and the parking was spot on and cheap at £15 per night against the NCP that was £25!!!

The room was nice and clean and the bed really soft and clean.

The food was nice and the breakfast really nice and plenty of choice

I am stopping again in two weeks and would recommend anyone to stay

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank R0d_Lisa
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for taking the time and trouble to post your review following your two night stay with us whilst on business; it really is appreciated. I'm delighted to hear that you are due to return again in two weeks and with this in mind, we look forward to welcoming you back then.

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, staff very pleasant and friendly. In house restaurant served some really good food. Free wifi all be it slow and intermittent but compared to other places this is a bonus. Only thing letting it down is the outdated decor in the rooms and bathroom. Would happily stay again

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor following your stay with us. I was pleased to hear that you found the staff pleasant and friendly and enjoyed your experience in the Restaurant too. Great to hear that you would happily stay with us again and with this in mind, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed here for just one night 18th - 19th November. The location is perfect, and the onsite car parking was secure and good value for money. Greeted on arrival by friendly & efficient reception staff. My upgraded room was of the highest quality with excellent facilites. I suffer from back problems, but had a very good nights sleep. Breakfast was very enjoyable. I managed to secure a window seat which gave terrific views over Piccadilly Gardens on a beautiful crisp November Day. The bar & Restaurant staff were pleasant and the Customer Sevice Manager - Jane, was extremely professional and helpful. I would be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone, whether visiting for business or pleasure. I will definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: I was on 14th floor. Great views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank nick s
Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I therefore thank you for sharing your experience of your stay with us earlier this month. I was delighted to hear that you had an outstanding stay and your feedback will be shared with the whole team, who I know will be as equally pleased as I was to read your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

UK
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Overall if you book here it will be fine but I found a few problems. The hotel is in a perfect position and clean. Breakfast was good but I would have liked to be able to help myself to the tea and coffee and not had it brought to the table. We arrived around noon and were told you are not allowed to check in until 2pm and she never even checked to see if there were available rooms. If you use the Premier Inn chain they go out of there way to get you in early. When we went back at 14.30 there was of course a large slow moving queue as everyone must have been told the same. When we did finally get into the room the first thing that greeted us was someone's sock that had been left on the floor and missed by the cleaner. Apart from that the room was fine and clean and when tried a very good shower. The next morning we were woke at 8.20 by the sound of knocking on the door just before the maid came into the room!! If they are that keen why are there not rooms to book in early. If it was on offer I would stay again but for me there are a few hotels I would book before this one when next in Manchester.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us. Although we do specify a check in time from 2:00pm, if guests do arrive prior to this time and their specific room type is available, then we will check them into the hotel, as this will not only please our guests but also alleviate pressure on the reception desk later in the day, thus aiming to avoid queues. I am sorry that when you arrived at 12 Noon, your specific room type was not available.

My apologies for the initial issue you encountered in your room, along with the Room Attendant knocking early on your door the following day. Your feedback has been shared accordingly with my Head Housekeeper.

Although I do appreciate there are lots of hotels to choose from in Manchester, I do hope that on a future trip, you may consider staying with us again.

David Daly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
ABode Manchester
ABode Manchester
#22 of 118 in Manchester

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!