“Okay ... good location, but generally mixed feelings”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #64 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
UK
“Okay ... good location, but generally mixed feelings”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed one night in Feb 2014 for a conference. I had to upgrade to a privilege room because the hotel was so full. There were good bits and not-so-good bits.

The room itself was a good size, nice to have the Nespresso coffee machine (just like home!). The bed was massive and comfy. However, the whole floor (14) smelled of fried food - like the output of an extractor fan - and consequently, the room smelled too. Not particularly pleasant.

The hotel is in a good central location. It was nice to be able to stroll round the corner to Chinatown for dinner.

The public areas of the hotel were good - nice bar. Breakfast was excellent, with lots of choice and everything was decent quality.

I was, however, really annoyed to be charged up front for my room on checking in and to be "not allowed" to open a tab. As a business traveller, this was inconvenient. No explanation was given.

To be honest, I wouldn't stay again. There's plenty of choice in the area and so next time I'll shop around!

Room Tip: avoid floor 14
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mazzaroon
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us for an in-house conference.

Your comment regarding not being able to open a credit account on this occasion has been duly noted and will be addressed with my Front Office Manager, as guests who are part of a in-house group booking, should receive a welcome letter on arrival informing them that if they wish to open an extras account to charge items to their room, to just to provide a credit card guarantee at Reception. My apologies if this offer was not afforded to you and for the inconvenience caused.

Whilst I appreciate that Manchester does have a large number of hotels to choose from, I would hope that sometime in the future you will choose to stay with us again.

David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Mercure on Valentine's Day with my girlfriend, we stayed in the Dalton suite on the 14th (top) floor. The room was fantastic, didn't expect there to be a separate lounge area which was a nice touch. I have stayed in quite a few hotels around the country and this one has to be the nicest. The only complaint would be the general noise of Manchester (obviously not the hotels fault) but the sound of trams/sirens went on through the night - something to consider when booking a hotel in this part of Manchester. The staff were very helpful and friendly, I requested a room overlooking the piccadilly gardens and the view was brilliant, I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us on Valentine's Day. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Indeed our suites on the 14th floor do have stunning views across the City. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Very nice hotel but I left my watch in the room which was very expensive, I left it under the pillow. 2 hours after check out I rang to ask if they had found it. SHOCK they didn't and customer service on the phone was awful they were too vague and wernt helpful at all.

• Stayed February 2014
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to hear when you called the hotel to ask about your watch, the response was less than helpful. Due to the large amount of lost/found property that the hotel regularly deals with, our Housekeeping Department takes control of this area, as the majority of items are indeed normally found in our guest bedrooms. As such, if you wish to pursue this matter further, I would ask that you contact our Head Houskeeper, who I'm sure will investigate further, as there could be a possibility too, that your watch may have got caught up with the laundry.

London Uk
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed overnight for business in February. The room was large, clean and with a great view but a bit chilly. The battery from my phone was flat and the staff were very helpful and rescued this by lending me a charger. The hotel is in a really central location with all transport links on the doorstep.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay with us for business. I was pleased to hear that we were able to assist you in your hour of need in terms being able to loan you a phone charger. Indeed, our central location and with transport links on our doorstep, are of great benefit to our guests. On a future trip to Manchester, I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My partner and i went to this 'posh' hotel for a short break after loosing our baby at 39weeks pregnant.
I booked a superior room because i thought we deserved it, i was under the impression this had a four poster bed from what the photos showed me, which it didnt. I expected a suite to have a big luxury bath which it didnt, it actually had the same one as i have myself.. Disappointing.
Breakfast was also disappointing, it cost £25 for 2 people, i believe this was a discounted rate which i thought was far too expensive for the quality that we got, everything was very basic and we recieved dry toast with no butter!
The room was very cold aswell we had a right draft from the windows. All this would have been Abit more acceptable if we had booked a basic room, but we booked what should have been the best! Therefore I wont be stayin at this hotel again, although location was good. We also enjoyed the comfort of the hotel bar it was a nice atmosphere with comfy sofas!

1 Thank Keeley2410
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to hear that we did not fully meet your expectations. We do have several superior rooms at the hotel, some of which do indeed have four poster beds. For those guests wishing for this particular bed type, we would recommend that they highlight their specific request at booking stage.

I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your breakfast experience, particularly as we offer our guests a full English offering, along with cereals, fruit, yoghurts, crossiants etc. We also operate a menu that is displayed on our breakfast tables which gives guests the opportunity to order such items as porridge, Eggs Benedict, poached eggs etc. We also have a Chef in situ at the hot buffet station, who will cook omlettes to order. Our full English breakfast offering is priced at £13.95 and this is the price that a guest on a room only basis will pay if they arrive to take breakfast. However, if a guest prebooks breakfast at booking stage or indeed as they check-in the hotel, then a discounted rate can apply. Toast is delivered in a toast rack to guests, with butter supplied on the table.

It was however pleasing to hear that you found our location good and you enjoyed the comfort and atmosphere of the bar. Although I see you reluctance to stay with us again at this moment in time, I do hope sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back for an overall positive experience.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We paid months ago and was very good value for the price we paid. We stayed here to go to a Concert at 'The Appollo'. Took about 15 minutes brisk walking.Well lit, busy road, and plenty of people about, both ways.
We returned to the Hotel about 11.30pm and only food the Hotel does at that time is, Room Service. 'Fair enough' but the Bar did not have crisps etc. Not such a problem as there is a 'Burger King' not far from the Hotel, opened 24 hours. One of the Restaurants in nearby 'China Town' was also opened to Midnight. We were there in the week so maybe more places opened later at weekends?

Our room was clean and all the amenities you needed. Great view from the window!
Both the Lady receptionists we met were smiley and friendly.
The Breakfast Staff were friendly and efficient. Tea in a large china pot!
Good selection of food and Vegetarian sausuages to order!

Well worth the amount we paid and would consider this Hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Herinhere
Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and therefore I thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience of our hotel. I do hope on a future visit to the City, we will have opportunity to look after you again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

had to stay due to massive problems on trains. reception friendly and efficient. room ok nothing fancy. room service efficient food fine. tv would not work but that was due to weather conditions. was slightly annoyed no offer to sort breakfast before 7am and would not take it off my bill also my room was across from the lifts so noisy was woke at 3am and could not get back to sleep. would use again but would want better room.

Dear Guest

I was pleased to hear that we were able to look after you as a result of the horrendous weather conditions that caused havoc, leaving guests stranded in the City. Indeed these condition did knock out our TV aerials leaving guest bedrooms with no signal! I do hope on a future occasion that you may need accommodation in Manchester, that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and with this in mind, please do feel free to let me know when I'd pleased to arrange a room away from the lifts.