“ask for a better room”

Ranked #64 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“ask for a better room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I arrived there when the refurbishment was still underway. That is: half of the hotel was in the 60s and the other half not. Of course they try to book you in first where it is bad. So thank you indeed, unknown foreign employee with a bad English, who helped me to get a proper room there :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I was sorry to hear that you were not wowed with the first bedroom allocated to you. I was however pleased to hear after voicing your disappointment that the team reacted and allocated you an alternative room to your satisfaction.

On a future visit to Manchester, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
La Linea de la Concepcion, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

From a business travel point of view, a bit of a disappointment but common to a number of UK standard hotels, totally inadequate free internet. You do of course have the option of purchasing additional coverage but why, surely in this day and age, a decent free coverage should be standard.

Notwithstanding, while the Service from reception to breakfast staff was friendly and efficient, rooms, while not spectacular, adequate and comfortable. A bit if a stale smell in the bathrooms (something I found in the Tel Aviv branch as well)

A bit pricey if you purchase direct but you can get a more reasonable price if you search online

Not a bad experience but other than the friendly and helpful trainee and others at reception, not memorable and although I would stay there again, I may well look elsewhere on my next trip, for variety sake.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us, the content of which has been duly noted.

We are pleased to be able to offer our guests free standard WIFI in all areas within the hotel, as well as guest bedrooms. We are transparent with our charge if guests wish to upgrade to a higher speed.

I was pleased to hear that you found the team from reception through to breakfast very friendly and efficient.

Although I do appreciate that there are many hotels now to choose from in Manchester, I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an overall positive experience.

Wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Very good location and clean modern rooms.
We stayed for one Saturday night and it was busy in manchester but still competitive price.
Nice breakfast.
Helpful staff.
Would go again and recommend
Parking is expensive, but that is the same anywhere.

Room Tip: Over looking Piccadilly gardens
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us; it really is appreciated.

Thank you too for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back again too very soon.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

The hotel is situated right next to Piccadilly Gardens where the local bus services can be found and the tram. The hotel is only a short walk from Manchester Piccadilly Train Station.

To get to all the floors you have to use the lift. Stairs are available but since I was on the 9th floor I didn't fancy the walk that much.

Check in was quick and the staff were friendly and helpful.

The room itself was small and was made even smaller by a rather big bed. The bathroom was tired and dated and could do with a revamp. The room had a safe which was handy. the ironing board was a tiny thing attached to the trouser press so it took some doing to iron a shirt. The walls in the room are paper thin. They were that thin I could hear an entire phone conversation in the room next door. If you have a room that overlooks Piccadilly the tram horns are annoying as the windows are not double glazed.

We tried to eat in the restaurant on the first night but were told there would be a wait of at least an hour and that the tables on the raised section weren't available as they didn't have the staff. So we went into the bar which is next to the restaurant ordered our food and was brought to us from the same kitchen as the main restaurant by the same staff that would serve us in the main restaurant so not entirely sure why they didn't have the staff to open the top section of tables.

There is a good selection of meals on the menu and they were very tasty and the food turned up quickly.

Overall the hotel is nice and comfortable and would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us. Guest feedback is indeed extremely important to us and I thank you for sharing your experience on this occasion. I was pleased to hear that overall you found the hotel comfortable and you would recommend to others. I do however hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again too.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here on Friday night in room 1026.

To clarify, I have no problems with the staff, the chap on reception was very welcoming when I told him it was my first stay there, offered me a choice of rooms which I thought was a nice touch.

He advised me that a higher floor may be quieter and I agreed saying it would have nice views as well, so he even picked me one overlooking Piccadilly Gardens.

The room was ok, nothing that stood out, however, as an I.T Engineer I do have to say that the TV system badly needs updating, there are hardly any free channels and news is via a text system?! The menus aren't very friendly either.

The lighting near the door is so dark that you can't see into the shelving that holds the safety deposit box and where you store your clothes, I had to check by feel that I hadn't left anything when departing.

The windows in this building are in a shocking state, when I walked in to the room I couldn't see out because of the condensation, I had to open the secondary glazing then use toilet roll to wipe the windows to be able to see out, there was also a strong very musty smell, which was to be because of this and the paint is coming off the plaster because of this. This is no doubt due to the concrete / alloy construction that was often used during 1960's / 70's construction and the secondary glazing doesn't really block out much sound as I found out when I was woken by the traffic at 6am.

Wen't down to the bar on 3, again, very nice chat behind the bar and later on another chap walking around asking people if they were ok.

Bed was very comfortable but a little high if you're under 6 foot tall and we could have done with more electrical sockets.

The walls are very thin as we found out by being kept awake until after 2am in the room next door and they weren't even shouting.

Again, none of this is the fault of the staff and before people start saying what do you expect for the price, well I do expect a good nights sleep and adequate lighting to be able to see properly in certain areas of the room.

Another thing that I found very strange is the fact that you can just walk in off the street and get in the lift to just about any floor, I would have thought that you would need your room card to send the lift any higher than the reception on level 2??

As a senior contributor on here you will see that I don't write negative reviews, so I'm not someone who moans for the sake of it, I hope my comments will be taken as constructive criticism that can be used for improvement.

Room Tip: One that doesn't face Piccadilly Gardens if you don't want to be waken by traffic noise
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anthony2312
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your constuctive review. Guest feedback is indeed extremely important to us and I do thank you for sharing your experience. I am only too sorry that we did not meet your expectations to the full on this occasion; please accept my apologies. You have my assurance that your feedback has been taken on board and respective members of the team will have visibility of your comments. Although I do appreciate your disappointment on this occasion, I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an overall positive experience.

North West England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I've completed my stay here yet, but very impressed so far.
A nod to Andrew, the very polite and helpful chap at the reception desk. I asked for a quiet room (yes, it is city centre Manchester!) but he managed this and I had a very peaceful sleep allowing me to catch-up from a couple of days of travelling.
Only negative: the free wireless is very slow. You can pay for higher speeds, but where ever I am in the world, when paying the sort of prices for this type of hotel, a better free wifi speed would be expected.
Overall, will definitely be back here on my next trip to Manchester.

Room Tip: higher is better
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Guet

Thank you for posting your review. I was delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and Andrew was helpful and accommodating in ensuring that a quiet room was allocated to you in order that you could catch up with your sleep from your days of travelling. I will be pleased to share your feedback with him. We are governed centrally on our WIFI offering, however, as guest feedback is important to us, feedback of this kind is always forwarded to them. We look forward to having the opportunity to look after you once again as and when your travels bring you back to Manchester.