“This hotel does not deserve 4 stars”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #72 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I booked this hotel via travel agency and they declared that this is a 4 star hotel and good. I searched via Tripadvisor and read positive and negative views and decided to stay. That was a big mistake. I arrived the hotel late afternoon and went to my room. I realized that if you are a bit bigger than the average human size, it will not be possible to sit on the toilet since the width of the corridor was equal to the width of the closet, there was no minibar than you can have water, no place to open and locate you suitcase, the room is also tiny and dirty. I went to outside to have a dinner and the real tragedy started. When I came back, the room was full of smell of burnt vegetable oil. No possibility to open a window and I was so tired, tried to sleep...... It was not possible. The other morning I informed the front desk on the phone before going out the person said "OK, we will give you a good room!". Meanwhile the cleaners told me that this room is famous with its smell. We I came back from my meeting at noon time to change my room, the front desk man told me that "who promised you about changing the room?" That was a surprise. He tried to find explanations that the smell is temporary. I insisted for change, he said OK will will give you a good, nice room, I think this is their slogan. I left my suitcase to the other room and rushed to my meeting. As a result no difference between the rooms in terms of low quality except the smell.

In this hotel, for my opinion, there is no clue about refurbishment, no cleanliness (the pill from previous client was staying at the same place when I left the room after 4 days), nothing related to 4 stars. No minibar, smell of damp in the bathroom, smell of vegetable oil in the room. This is a city center hotel but there are many around the city center.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nesrin C
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. It disappoints me greatly to hear that you did not have an pleasant and enjoyable stay with us, please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered. The team will be given visiibility of your feedback. Although I do appreciate that there are now many hotels in Manchester to choose from, I would hope that sometime in the future, we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an overall positive experience.

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I would like to think of myself as a 'glass half full' type of person, which is why I have been generous with my marking. A 3.5 would have been closer to the mark.

I stayed on the 12th floor and the room was basic, but reasonably well appointed. The beauty of a 'high' room are the views over Manchester and the elevation from the main city square, which is busy well into the night.

All of the staff I encountered were courteous and understatedly attentive.

All I would say is that there are some areas of the hotel that need freshening up, such as the mezzanine level, which looks a bit dated?

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I therefore thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay with us. Indeed the higher you go in the hotel, the views from our bedroom windows, particularly on a clear day, are fantastic.

On a future visit to the City, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I was visiting Manchester for one night, so looked for a hotel that would be close to where I was planning on visiting, as I had never visited Manchester before. I was looking for value for money, as well as a relatively high standard of service. After looking at several options, I decided on this hotel. I am glad I did. It was relatively close to the Piccadilly train station, and easy to find (after double checking directions I had on me with a few of the locals). Once I arrived, I was greeted warmly by the reception staff, and was checked in within minutes. The room was clean and adequate for my needs (I was only sleeping there, not holding a party!). The bed was comfortable, even though I tossed and turned a bit, as I don't like sleeping in beds that aren't mine. I ordered room service, which was delivered by a member of staff with a smile. The food was excellent and I really enjoyed it. The breakfast in the morning was most filling and delicious. Checking out was just as painless as checking in, and if I do decide to visit Manchester again, I will definitely consider staying at this hotel again.

If you are looking for a place to stay whilst on business or pleasure, then I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for taking the time and trouble to share your experience of the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel following your one-night stay with us. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I thank you too for your recommendation. I hope that it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Jane

Reviewed 21 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I arrived there when the refurbishment was still underway. That is: half of the hotel was in the 60s and the other half not. Of course they try to book you in first where it is bad. So thank you indeed, unknown foreign employee with a bad English, who helped me to get a proper room there :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I was sorry to hear that you were not wowed with the first bedroom allocated to you. I was however pleased to hear after voicing your disappointment that the team reacted and allocated you an alternative room to your satisfaction.

On a future visit to Manchester, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

From a business travel point of view, a bit of a disappointment but common to a number of UK standard hotels, totally inadequate free internet. You do of course have the option of purchasing additional coverage but why, surely in this day and age, a decent free coverage should be standard.

Notwithstanding, while the Service from reception to breakfast staff was friendly and efficient, rooms, while not spectacular, adequate and comfortable. A bit if a stale smell in the bathrooms (something I found in the Tel Aviv branch as well)

A bit pricey if you purchase direct but you can get a more reasonable price if you search online

Not a bad experience but other than the friendly and helpful trainee and others at reception, not memorable and although I would stay there again, I may well look elsewhere on my next trip, for variety sake.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us, the content of which has been duly noted.

We are pleased to be able to offer our guests free standard WIFI in all areas within the hotel, as well as guest bedrooms. We are transparent with our charge if guests wish to upgrade to a higher speed.

I was pleased to hear that you found the team from reception through to breakfast very friendly and efficient.

Although I do appreciate that there are many hotels now to choose from in Manchester, I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an overall positive experience.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Very good location and clean modern rooms.
We stayed for one Saturday night and it was busy in manchester but still competitive price.
Nice breakfast.
Helpful staff.
Would go again and recommend
Parking is expensive, but that is the same anywhere.

Room Tip: Over looking Piccadilly gardens