“Posh Frock and dirty underwear”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #67 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Posh Frock and dirty underwear”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Mercure have done a good job tarting the old place up the Public areas, reception, bar and dining area look great.

The staff were very friendly and through, very slow though.

The room looked fab too, big bed with nice covers but not a lot of floor room left.

Then the less good

The TV took about 6 button pushes to get to the BBC

The WiFi did not work for me either on the laptop in the room ... no way to enter the pass key. Nor on the iPhone in the bar .. so I used my 3G instead.

The toilets are conveniently situated on a different floor to the bar. - Do I take the stairs or the very slow lift?

Back in the room there is evidence that over the years people had forced the door several times. The area around the lock had been badly repaired several times leaving a brass striking plate that bridged an area of missing wood work. - Could it be a result of being kicked open after taking the lift option for the toilet, going to the room and the door cards failing to open the door.

In the bath room the shower set at a height of about 5 foot was too low to get under so hair washing was fun. The sealant between the bath and door frame is embedded with thumb prints and going nice bright orange.

If being in the very center of Manchester is what you want and you don't intend doing more than sleeping and having breakfast ... maybe a 4*
Relaxing in luxury surroundings with a hint of romance .... might get 1*
Business stay ... the bar is very expensive as is the restaurant .... 2*

Room Tip: Little boxes some of which look over the square an interesting people watch
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed review. Guest feedback is indeed extremely important to us. Although I see we did not meet your expectations to the full, I do hope sometime in the future we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back and providing you with an overall positive experience.

David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Friendly staff, comfy bed and nice food but the walls have no sound proofing so you can hear everything that goes on next door - other tv, people having sex, arguments/talking etc.
Really not impressed.

Rooms are basic
Waiting 20 minutes to check in - staff were a bit too relaxed at the front desk.
Then another 10 minutes waiting to get my room key fixed as the first one didn't work.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. It disappoints me greatly to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us, please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered. The team will be given visiibility of your feedback. Although I do appreciate that there are now many hotels in Manchester to choose from, I would hope that sometime in the future, we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an overall positive experience.

David Daly

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Good hotel with all you would expect a four star to have. Comfy bed, fluffy towels, etc. Great breakfast with good selection, and chef was willing to rustle up anything else, such as omelette, eggs Benedict etc. Staff friendly.

Room Tip: The higher floors are not only less noisy, but offer great views. Our room overlooked the Mancheste...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post your experience of our Hotel following your stay with us. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and hope that it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Hersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Unfortunately I was unable to take up a preferential rate £76 for a room which was prepaid. I broke my collar bone and was unable to travel. It is very clear on the site that this booking could not be cancelled and the payment could not be refunded. Fair enough.
However I had also for sake of convenience booked breakfast £10. This was not at a preferential rate. It is not made clear anywhere that this cannot be cancelled. Do not prepay for such extras as you will not be refunded. Their systems are too inflexible. I recommend the hotel is avoided and will seek accommodation elsewhere when I return to Manchester. I am left with the after taste of being robbed in a civilized corporate way - but it feels like robbery just the same.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Brenda S

I was disappointed to read your review following the cancellation of your booking. I would ask that you please contact my Customer Services Manager, Jane Shaw, on jane.shaw@jupiterhotels.co.uk, who will address the matter of your breakfast add-on for you. In the meantime, my apologies for the initial annoyance and inconvenience this matter has caused you.

Nottingham
Reviewed 31 March 2014

City centre hotel which we used for an overnight stay prior to a workshop in one of the hotels conference rooms. The room, on the 11th floor was disappointing. Small double bed -not king size, mould on bathroom grouting and grotty painted and mouldy concrete in the gap between the double glazing. Room decor was OK, but the desk and chairs were tired. The windows were heavy with condensation when I awoke in the morning - guess that's the reason for the mouldy window surround!

However, our evening meal for 9 people was superb. All 3 courses, for all 9 people were delicious and served very efficiently and politely, and that despite the hotel having a major presentation event for about 150people running concurrently. Breakfast was very good too, as was a bar snack.

So really mixed feelings about this place!

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to hear of the issues you encountered with your room. I will address your feedback with both our Property Manager and Head Housekeeper who will do the necessary to ensure our bedrooms are presenting at their best.

I was extremely pleased to read your feedback regarding your dining experiences with us. It will give me great pleasure to share your comments with our Head Chef and his brigade, who I know will be equally as pleased as I was to receive them.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel during a work course, room was well appointed and although was a regular room the layout made it feel more like a suit. Sadly due to oversleeping I didn't get the chance to sample breakfast, but we did eat dinner in the restaurant and the staff were very friendly and the food delicious. If you're visiting Manchester, give it a try, you can't be more central

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us. I was pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us. On a future visit to the City, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

england
Reviewed 29 March 2014

we arrived early ,our rooms werent ready but reception checked to see if any other rooms were ready and promptly checked us into them, no hanging around and we had express checkout because we had payed up front.great location,breakie was good ,would deffo book again .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following you stay with us, it really is appreciated that you have taken the time to do so.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

David Daly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
ABode Manchester
ABode Manchester
#22 of 118 in Manchester

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!