“Hotel OK but vegetarian " choice" non-existent.”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #70 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The hotel was fine. The room was very ordinary. I tend not to focus on the little things but I was a bit put out that although my laptop fitted into the safe, it would not lock with it in. The locking mechanism must have been just a couple of millimetres too close. The phone didn't work, and also I hate hotels that only offer a premium rate number for calls...but my main problem is with hotels that do not cater for vegetarians. The special menu had nothing vegetarian and there was only a single dish on the main menu that I could choose. I asked the waiter if there were any alternatives and he told me that they could do the Salmon and Pea tagliatelle dish without the salmon...... I asked if he was offering me Pea tagliatelle which he obviously didn't think was a bad idea. He then asked me what I would like so we spent 5 minutes going through options which he confirmed they would not be able to do. I asked if he was really telling me that a chain the size of Mercure were not able to offer at least a choice for vegetarians - a single item is hardly a choice! He told me that they were restricted by the menu which comes from their Head Office I.e. they have no control over this but the man at the next table overheard this comment and joined in the discussion with his experience which was that he had stayed at many Mercure hotels and this had the poorest menu by far. I thought the days of having to accept an omelette as the only reasonable choice were long behind me!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive review following your stay with us.

Your feedback regarding vegetarian options has been duly noted and will be shared with our central Food & Beverage Development team, who take into consideration guest feedback prior to introducing and rolling out a new Brasserie menu across our Group of Hotels. In the meantime, I have shared your feedback with our Head Chef, who controls our offering on our daily Table D'hote menu.

I am sorry that our dinner offering marred what would otherwise appears to have been a good visit but do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back for an overall positive experience.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Had been pre-booked by colleagues into a room adapted for physically disabled - very thoughtful since i'm on crutches right now. The room was comfortable enough though the adapted shower didn't have a soap dish and there was no toilet paper holder next to the loo for some reason. View out the window was pleasant enough, of the ferris wheel in the marketplace below. Breakfast was fine. The property is a bit tired but the staff seemed generally kind. Wouldn't rush back as the place made me feel a bit world weary for some reason - think it was the general vibe of the decor etc.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

With regard to our adapted rooms, I can confirm that our Maintenance Team have just undertaken specific works in these bathrooms, which includes the items you have highlighted.

I do hope sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Mercure have done a good job tarting the old place up the Public areas, reception, bar and dining area look great.

The staff were very friendly and through, very slow though.

The room looked fab too, big bed with nice covers but not a lot of floor room left.

Then the less good

The TV took about 6 button pushes to get to the BBC

The WiFi did not work for me either on the laptop in the room ... no way to enter the pass key. Nor on the iPhone in the bar .. so I used my 3G instead.

The toilets are conveniently situated on a different floor to the bar. - Do I take the stairs or the very slow lift?

Back in the room there is evidence that over the years people had forced the door several times. The area around the lock had been badly repaired several times leaving a brass striking plate that bridged an area of missing wood work. - Could it be a result of being kicked open after taking the lift option for the toilet, going to the room and the door cards failing to open the door.

In the bath room the shower set at a height of about 5 foot was too low to get under so hair washing was fun. The sealant between the bath and door frame is embedded with thumb prints and going nice bright orange.

If being in the very center of Manchester is what you want and you don't intend doing more than sleeping and having breakfast ... maybe a 4*
Relaxing in luxury surroundings with a hint of romance .... might get 1*
Business stay ... the bar is very expensive as is the restaurant .... 2*

Room Tip: Little boxes some of which look over the square an interesting people watch
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed review. Guest feedback is indeed extremely important to us. Although I see we did not meet your expectations to the full, I do hope sometime in the future we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back and providing you with an overall positive experience.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Friendly staff, comfy bed and nice food but the walls have no sound proofing so you can hear everything that goes on next door - other tv, people having sex, arguments/talking etc.
Really not impressed.

Rooms are basic
Waiting 20 minutes to check in - staff were a bit too relaxed at the front desk.
Then another 10 minutes waiting to get my room key fixed as the first one didn't work.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. It disappoints me greatly to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us, please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered. The team will be given visiibility of your feedback. Although I do appreciate that there are now many hotels in Manchester to choose from, I would hope that sometime in the future, we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an overall positive experience.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Good hotel with all you would expect a four star to have. Comfy bed, fluffy towels, etc. Great breakfast with good selection, and chef was willing to rustle up anything else, such as omelette, eggs Benedict etc. Staff friendly.

Room Tip: The higher floors are not only less noisy, but offer great views. Our room overlooked the Mancheste...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post your experience of our Hotel following your stay with us. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and hope that it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Unfortunately I was unable to take up a preferential rate £76 for a room which was prepaid. I broke my collar bone and was unable to travel. It is very clear on the site that this booking could not be cancelled and the payment could not be refunded. Fair enough.
However I had also for sake of convenience booked breakfast £10. This was not at a preferential rate. It is not made clear anywhere that this cannot be cancelled. Do not prepay for such extras as you will not be refunded. Their systems are too inflexible. I recommend the hotel is avoided and will seek accommodation elsewhere when I return to Manchester. I am left with the after taste of being robbed in a civilized corporate way - but it feels like robbery just the same.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Brenda S

I was disappointed to read your review following the cancellation of your booking. I would ask that you please contact my Customer Services Manager, Jane Shaw, on jane.shaw@jupiterhotels.co.uk, who will address the matter of your breakfast add-on for you. In the meantime, my apologies for the initial annoyance and inconvenience this matter has caused you.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

City centre hotel which we used for an overnight stay prior to a workshop in one of the hotels conference rooms. The room, on the 11th floor was disappointing. Small double bed -not king size, mould on bathroom grouting and grotty painted and mouldy concrete in the gap between the double glazing. Room decor was OK, but the desk and chairs were tired. The windows were heavy with condensation when I awoke in the morning - guess that's the reason for the mouldy window surround!

However, our evening meal for 9 people was superb. All 3 courses, for all 9 people were delicious and served very efficiently and politely, and that despite the hotel having a major presentation event for about 150people running concurrently. Breakfast was very good too, as was a bar snack.

So really mixed feelings about this place!

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to hear of the issues you encountered with your room. I will address your feedback with both our Property Manager and Head Housekeeper who will do the necessary to ensure our bedrooms are presenting at their best.

I was extremely pleased to read your feedback regarding your dining experiences with us. It will give me great pleasure to share your comments with our Head Chef and his brigade, who I know will be equally as pleased as I was to receive them.

On a future visit to the City, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

David Daly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
ABode Manchester
ABode Manchester
#21 of 120 in Manchester

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!