“A lovely stay”

Ranked #67 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
England
“A lovely stay”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on business for 3 nights. The room was very clean and spacious with all the amenteties. The breakfast, lunch and dinner were also very nice with a good number of options. The staff were very helpfull. The conference rooms were great with water, pens, note pads, tea/coffee machines, biscuits and all the equipment needed. The hotel is a 2minute wall from Picadilly rail station and with great views of the wheel. The only minus is that the walls are very thin and you can hear every conversation from the next room and also despite having 3 lifts sometimes you are waiting for them for ages.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear Guest

I was delighted to hear that you had a lovely stay when you visited with us recently on business and I thank you for sharing your experience.

On a future visit to Manchester, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of looking after you once again.

David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We booked in for a two night short break. The hotel staff couldn't be more helpful and the breakfast was excellent. The room, on the eleventh floor, was really nice and the view over Picadilly Gardens was superb. The hotel is situated in a great location whereby you are within walking distance of a lot of attractions. We went to see Dancing on Ice at the Phones4u Arena which was around 7 minutes walk away. Great to park the car up and forget about it! We would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I therefore thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience following your stay with us. Indeed our central location is extremely popular with our guests and having our own onsite car park too, is a major benefit for a City Centre Hotel.

We look forward to having the pleasure of looking after you again very soon.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here for a 2 night stay in Manchester, on arrival the woman at the helpdesk was very pleasant and helpful with giving us directions to a few attractions we were interested in. She asked what floor we would like and we chose the 14th. We got the lift up but our room card would not work. I went back down to reception where she apologised and scanned it again. Wehn I got up to the room again there was nothing when we inserted the card, a cleaner also tried but the door mechanism must have been broken (just one of these things). After apologising the receptionist put us into a room on the 12th floor. We had a nice view over piccadily gardens. The room itself was pretty basic with 2 single beds, window that could not be opened and a tv that was infuriating as when flicking through channels if you went too quickly the channel stuck resulting in you having to turn the tv off and on again, The shower was very good and the bath was massive. Our trip included breakfast and on the 1st day the breakfast area was pretty busy as there was a champions league football match on that night and Olympiakos fans were in town. We were quickly seated but because of hwo busy it was there was no milk for cereal, and because there was only half hour until breakfast ended there was not as much choice as what was likely to have been there when breakfast started. When checking out we were asked for £30 for parking, but we didn't have a car and when we told the receptionist it was quickly amended with no fuss. They were happy to store our bags so we could do a bit shopping before getting our connecting train. The hotel is in a very central and ideal location, the rooms were tidy, beds maybe not the comfiest but for the location alone I would have no problem staying here if visiting Manchester in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your two night stay with us. I was sorry to hear that during your time with us you encountered a number of issues that troubled you; please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused. The respective members of my team will be given sight of your feedback. I was pleased to hear though you would have no problem staying with us again and with this in mind, I trust that it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here recently for the Corrie Tour that I had bought as a gift for Mother's Day. Upon learning this, Mercure decided to make this stay more special.

Check in was fast and Beth on the desk was friendly. As we got to the room, it appeared to be very big, it was only once noticing the bathrobes/slippers/Nespresso machine/biscuits/sofa, that I was positive we had been upgraded. To top it all, a personal touch from Customer Services Manager, Jane, a lovely welcome card and shortbread. This was greatly appreciated. I work in a 4 star hotel so you could say I have a bad habit of looking out for similarities/differences and I'll be honest, it was a great to experience to see how it feels as the guest when staff do make the effort to go the extra mile.

The shower in the room was great, although if you're tall, I can imagine it being slightly tricky as the ceiling is a bit low. One thing we noticed was the lift system was a bit crazy at times. We were on level 5 and would have been happy to take the stairs however, we could not see any signage for stairs. I have no doubt about them being there but any door we poked our head through looked a bit, no entry/staff only type area. So we stuck to the lift but maybe those who have a fear of lifts would appreciate a bit more signage? Just a thought!

We booked breakfast, which was adequate, staff were also friendly and efficient at clearing up also.

When we checked out, Beth the concierge spoke to us and let us store our luggage for the day.

Overall, we had a brilliant stay and the only downside was having to leave that room and go home! Thanks once again to everyone who went the extra mile to make the stay more special ! :)

Stayed April 2014
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post your review following your stay with your Mum. We were indeed delighted to be able to play a part in your Mother's Day treat and I trust you both had a great time at the Corrie Tour. It will give me great pleasure to share your feedback with the team, who I know will be equally as delighted as I was to receive it.

I do hope that sometime soon we will have the pleasure of looking after you once again.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed one night for business,
Pleasant enough room, nice sized bathroom if a little scruffy.. marks in the bath, tiles were old and paintwork needed attention

Found the room was above the kitchens, even tho it was 8 floors above the room smelled of food constantly. Near lift and was disturbed by late night guests chatting in the coridoor.

The meal my company had pre booked was a choice of two mains, starters and deserts.. very nice but was shocked when I checked out to discover the single glass of white wine I ordered cost me almost £8! not really good enough when I asked for house white... Breakfast was nice enough next day, a decent selection- appeared to offer omelettes but nobody there to cook one!
Have stayed at mercure hotels elsewhere but wont be returning to this one. It really doesnt meet the standards I am used to from the brand- would definitely not think this was a 4 star hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I was sorry that hear that we did not meet your expectations to the full. Although I see your disappointment on this occasion, I do sincerely hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an overall positive experience.

midlands, uk
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hotel was in a good location close to the train station and check in was quick. However as soon as we got into the room we could here the other guests in the next room even though they appeared to be talking in a normal volume.
The bed was massive which seemed strange given that the room itself is on the small side. The layout was also a bit odd as the hospitality tray was located on a shelf in the wardrobe with no plug so you end up moving this to the other end of the room so you can use the kettle.
We found the bathroom to be adequate although a bit dated.
The worse feature of the room was the windows which are horrible and where full of condensation throughout our stay and as a result it was impossible to see the view even from the 10th floor on a sunny day. The building seemed to be single glazed with an extra sliding glass panel added at a later date to reduce traffic noise? however the space between the outer window and the sliding panel was filthy with damp evident in the smell as well and the marks on the panels when opened.
Although I expected better from a 4 star hotel if you are not planning on spending much time in your room and just want to sleep at the end of a long day then this hotel is fine.
As I was travelling with my sister who is vegetarian and there was a distinct lake of choice on the menu for her I can't rate this hotel more than 2 out of 5 as we had to eat elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with your sister.

We are working through a programme of works within a number of our bedrooms that have suffered condensation through the winter months. I am sorry that this probelm was still evident in your bedroom during your time with us.

Your feedback regarding vegetarian options on our Brasserie Menu has been duly noted and will be fed back to our central Food & Beverage Development Team, who take into consideration guest feedback prior to introducing a new menu into our Restaurants across our group of hotels.

I am sorry that we failed to impress you on this occasion and do hope maybe sometime in the future, we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an overall positive experience.

David Daly

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed at the Mercure for two nights on a short break in Manchester. We chose it because of its central location, availability of parking, and, importantly for us, tea/coffee facilities in the room!

Our room on the 8th floor overlooked Piccadilly Gardens, the city centre's road transport hub, but we weren't unduly disturbed by buses or the trams hooting as they approached the station under our window. The room was small but functional, and as we only went there to change or sleep, it wasn't an issue. We found the staff friendly and helpful at all times. The bathroom was due a refurb, it looked a bit tired, but I guess this isn't rare in a busy city centre hotel. Again, it was functional and clean.

The deal we booked included buffet breakfast, and we found it excellent, apart from pretty indifferent tea and coffee. I always appreciate a little local culture in hotel breakfasts, and I gave the fried bread on the stand a hearty welcome!

Overall I would recommend the Mercure and shall stay again when we next visit Manchester.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ViolaMan2014
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us. Thank you too for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

David Daly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
ABode Manchester
ABode Manchester
#22 of 118 in Manchester

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!