“Great Short Break At The Mercure Piccadilly”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Short Break At The Mercure Piccadilly”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Just arrived home after a fabulous couple of days in the Mercure hotel Manchester Piccadilly,
Always a pleasure to arrive and be welcomed by Paul Costello. We have always found him to be
very pleasant and waiting to assist us during our stay . Also thanks to Beth, Zuzanna, Meshy,
David, Andrew, Claire and Gabi in Restaurant (All Great Staff).
Bedroom was very clean with a Gardens view (room 1127).Breakfast as always was excellent,
Hotel is very central .We will definitely be staying in this Hotel again.Once again thanks to all the
staff.
regards from the Dublin Girls

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Dublin Girls

Many thanks indeed for posting your review following your short break with us; it really is appreciated that you have taken the time to do so.

It will certainly give me great pleasure to share your feedback with the team, paying particular attention to the team members that you have highlighted.

We look forward to having the pleasure of looking after you again as and when your travels next bring you back to Manchester.

David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Check in was fast and friendly--all my encounters with staff were marked by friendliness, which made my stay more pleasant. My room 626 was small, yet perfectly clean with everything I needed. The area around the door's lock looked like some of the wood might have broken away, yet fortunately it still felt secure. The bed was ideally comfortable, and the wifi worked well. I had no trouble with noise and slept well.

I bought a drink in the hotel bar to bring back to my room late in the evening, and I found the atmosphere relaxed, the wine selection fairly good, and the service professional.

The breakfast buffet was generally good, especially the coffee and breakfast potatoes (a treat not to have deep-fried hash browns), but the scrambled eggs and sausages didn't have much flavour and the fruit salad seemed over-dominated by apple so I passed on it. I loved sitting at the window and looking on Piccadilly Gardens awash in morning sunshine.

All in all, a very good stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I therefore thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review following your stay with us. I was pleased to hear that all in all you had a good stay and hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back once again.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Great location, very close to everything I needed. Unfortunately I also needed my sleep and despite asking for a quiet room when I booked, having been warned by other reviews to the thin walls, there is a noise which sounds like a passing aeroplane crossed with a rumbling noise constantly. This is coupled with the noise outside which isn't surprising considering the single glass paned windows. Considering this is central to trams and other road traffic, it is ridiculous not to have double glazing. I was wearing earplugs overnight and I could still hear a level of noise that was frankly unacceptable. It's like sleeping on a hotel balcony.

The room is clean and fairly small but does have a desk and an ironing board and iron which I was impressed by. The room also has a bath rather than just a shower. There is a TV which is a good size and some modern art which is a good effort at adding something interesting to the room.

The bed was possibly the firmest I have ever slept on. The pillows are rather hard too. I usually don't mind if the bed is hard or soft but this was like sleeping on a slightly comfortable table. More odd than uncomfortable.

Again, the noise. You could join in conversations in any room where your walls meet. I must advise my neighbours were not talking in loud voices at all but I could hear every word.

It seems the hotel was built by a complete fool who knows nothing about soundproofing. I don't know how they could fit any soundproofing between rooms and still have room for the beds. But double glazing is an absolute must if this hotel is to be a place for sleeping.

Room Tip: I can't say for the other floors but floor 12 is loud and to be avoided.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Adventurer1983
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

I was sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise during your time with us and that you didn't have a particularly good sleep due to the firmness of our beds and pillows. We have actually just completed the roll out of new beds, pillows and duvets across the whole property. As we appreciate that bed type is very much down to personal preference, our aim at the time of sourcing was to purchase a 'middle of the road' type mattress, which we hoped would suit our guests. We have been receiving positive feedback on the quality and comfort of these beds and I am only too sorry that they did not suit you on this occasion.

Many thanks once again for your review and I hope that sometime in the future you may give us the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Davd Daly
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed with a friend for park life festival weekend on the 11th floor. Even though it is very central right by the bus and tram station and shopping area sleeping wasn't a issue it was quiet and beds were comfy. Rooms were neatend up daily with fresh towels every morning. The twin room we stayed in wasn't the largest but it had a good sized bathroom (which was very clean and the shower was great)
Breakfast was perfect with every possible option covered and would give it a 10! I will most definatly return

• Stayed June 2014
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us for the Parklife Festival. Our prime city centre location is indeed extremely popular with our guests and I'm pleased that we formed a convenient base for your time with us too. Many thanks once again and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed in the hotel saturday night and Sunday night.
First night spent in room 625 worst nights sleep ever this room is above the generators for the hotel so had noise all night.
Requested a move which appeared to come of no surprise to the receptionist. Got moved to 504 which was a different angle to the hotel could still hear the generators but definitely not as loud.
Hotel rooms were different including some of the bathroom items provided by the hotel. For example second room had flannels provided where the first room didn't lilt things like that. The bed was also two singles put together where in the first room the bed was a small double.
The baths in both bathrooms are quiet small and the shower is low my other half who is 6ft tall struggled with the height of the shower made it uncomfortable for him.
General noise in the hotel is was ok even though I seemed to have neighbours obsessed with slamming the doors several times a night! Doors are very loud to close
In ringing reception for a taxi with the internal phone dialling the normal 0 there was no answer several times. Decided to ring the hotel on the number available on the internet and charged at the higher rate 0844 the phone was answered straight away.

Good points friendly receptionists when you do get hold of them, great location for tram and access to restaurants and bars.

Would only consider returning if staying for one night would definitely pay more for a better hotel if staying longer as I do like my sleep

Breakfast is served till 12 so that's good for me as I sleep in late! But cooked breakfast was a little dried out ..this maybe only because we were the last ones to sit down at 12! Coffee and tea and toast is made by the waitresses that seemed to huddle around the kitchen area and weren't prompt in taking the orders without being called over. For fruit juices, dried breakfasts and pastries there is a large selection so that's great

Oh and The cleaning of the room was excellent

Room Tip: Avoid odd numbers sixth floor!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I was sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise on this occasion from generators outside. On reporting this, I was pleased to hear that we were able to move you to a bedroom at the back of the hotel, which guests do normally find much quieter, as they are away from the hustle and bustle of Piccadilly Gardens and the Bus/Metro Station too.

We do indeed have varying rooms types at the hotel from classic (standard) double and twin rooms, as well as zip and link bedrooms, which we can utilise as either a twin or double, dependant on room type requirements in line with business needs. We also have upgraded rooms too, which carry either privilege or superior status and these can vary in size and enhancements too.

On a positive note, I was pleased to hear that you found the Reception team very friendly and cleanliness of the hotel excellent.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I do hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back. With this in mind, if you do ever decide to head our way again, at booking stage, if you post a request to be placed on a much higher floor and perhaps at the back of the hotel too, we will always do our utmost to accommodate.

Gloucester
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed here for a 2 night weekend break. Found the hotel to be in a fantastic location, a short distance from the railway station and right by the buses and trams to get around. Couldn't fault the room, it was very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent, loads of choices. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Will hopefully be back sometime.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks indeed for sharing your experience of your two night weekend break with us; it really is appreciated that you have taken the time to do so.

I was delighted to hear that you had a great stay and it will certainly give me great pleasure to share your feedback with the team.

As and when your travels bring you back to Manchester, I do hope that we will have the pleasure of looking after you once again.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed here in May this year , found the staff very helpful and friendly, rooms very clean, just 5 minutes from Piccadilly train station, as you leave the station walk along a little bridge to the next street, you will see above the building up in front of you, which we found out is the thistle hotel, the top of a big wheel walk towards that and you come across the hotel mercure, looks nothing on the outside, you go into a long corridor and up towards the lifts , which take you upstairs to reception , which is most unusual but different, on arrival , we though early we're shown our room, , which was cosy for me and my husband , we were lucky could see the wheel from our room and all around, shops are to the left of the hotel, I'm sure there's many more, but we were only in Manchester for a short time, to meet up with family, to the right of the hotel is china town, where we ate, very nice, .. Breakfast at the hotel was lovely , we will definaitly return , many thanks to the staff for a lovely break

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for posting your review following your stay with us. I was pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and do hope that it won’t be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

David Daly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
ABode Manchester
ABode Manchester
#21 of 116 in Manchester

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!