“Great for Weekends and Business”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Brit on the Costa
“Great for Weekends and Business”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Have stayed here on at least 3 occasions for short breaks in the last couple of years and will be there again next weekend. I normally like to see what deals I can get when booking weekend trips but when travelling to Manchester, the Mercure is always top of my list and I see what deals are on offer there first. IT´s clean, has a very substantial and varied breakfast included and it is in a superb location in the centre of the town which is ideal for shopping, sightseeing, or for business travellers alike.

The deals available on this hotel are sometimes incredible for the standard of the hotel and not much more than you would pay for breakfast alone. Looking forward again to my next visit.

Room Tip: Higher floors have good views and are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RTWin080days
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear RTWin080days

I was delighted to hear that you have always chosen to stay at the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel on previous occasions that you have had cause to visit in the City and that we will continue to be your first choice hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Being a regular visitor to Manchester, I chose this hotel due to its location. The hotel is situated facing Picadilly Gardens with a 5minute walk to The Arndale centre. We were travelling this time for a birthday and were very excited having had great previous experiences of Manchester. Upon booking, I purchased a basic room not including breakfast. I contacted the hotel as we were flying out at 6am and would have been arriving at the hotel at 7.30am. I spoke to a girl named Alex who booked an early check in for me. I was pleased as we would have had no sleep and wanted to put our heads down until about 12 or 1pm. I also upgraded the room to a privilege room at a said cost of £50. We also arranged for a cake to be brought up to the room at 2pm at a cost of £10 in order to surprise my boyfriend. We were looking forward to this short 2 night break and I wanted to ensure that everything ran smoothly as our time was so short over there. After a long night travelling, we arrived at the Mercure at approx 7.30am as explained previously. Upon check in, our room was not ready. I had booked an early check in so I was not happy. We were tired and were told that we were been given a basic room until our room was ready. The receptionist asked for my credit card to authorise payments and I know this is formality but asked could I pay upon departure and requested that no funds be deducted from my bank account. I was told that this was ok. We brought our bags up to the basic room. It was TINY. 2single beds pushed together and there was literally no room for two people to get ready. The receptionist had told us it was be approx 9.10 am when our booked room was ready and we decided to get breakfast rather than being uprooted again if we fell asleep. The breakfast was average, and overpriced At 28£ for two of us. The staff at the restaurant were nice however. We arrived back at our room at 9.15, I called reception to enquire if our room was ready yet and was told they were just entering the room now to clean it. I was livid. Why advertise early check in if this is what happens? I would have booked a later flight if this was the case. About 10.30 the room was ready and we were finally delighted to put our heads down. The room (having stayed at many hotels) was an average room size. The only thing that the privilege room offered was a nespresso coffee machine. No fresh milk, stale biscuits. The room Also had unlimited blockbuster movies. I seen nothing blockbuster about the movies. The tv was small and confusing. It took 3 attempts calling reception to reset the pin code to get it working. In the middle of this there was a fire alarm (understandable). The layout of the room made it look more sleek. The couch was positioned at the end of the bed and that was really the only fashionable thing about the room the bed was double, nothing extra there. The bathroom was the same as the basic room we first had. The air con was temperamental and took some fiddling with before it worked. That night in the hotel bar the, having asked the barman about the advertised cocktail menu he said 'he had nothing to make them with'. I looked behind him at the extensive spirits range and wondered what he meant. The bar was cold, had air con on unnecessarily creating a cold and dreary atmosphere. The next morning I was checking my bank account online to see that the hotel had debited 40€ from my account. I was not happy as I wanted to pay upon exit with cash as previously confirmed. The only silver lining was the tasty breakfast and location of the hotel. It is lacking simple things that frustrated the hell out of me as knowing the standard that this hotel claimed to have was non existent. The cake arrived up with two very friendly staff, but I recognised this cake wasn't homemade. It was bought in a supermarket And they Had the neck to charge £10 for it! I did not find this hotel to be very relaxing and will be phoning the hotel regarding the £100 bill I paid which means £40 for early check in which didnt happen. Unimpressed and will not be returning. Positives:luggage storage at no cost, tasty breakfast even if dear, location, free wifi.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EmmaD090493
Dear EmmaD090493

Thank you for your review. Indeed it was disappointing to hear that we failed to fully meet your expectations on this occasion; please accept my apologies.

Your feedback has been noted and the team will be given visibility of your comments. I know that they will be equally as disappointed to receive it, as they were aware of your partner's birthday celebration, as well as your early check in request and did their utmost to get the specific room type you had requested serviced and ready for you as quickly as possible. With regard to early check in requests, we do specify an early check in from 10.30am, however, should the room type a guest has requested be available prior to that time, then we would be more than happy to check them in. I am sure you can appreciate though, if the hotel has been busy the night before, we are reliant on departing guests vacating their rooms and of course, servicing them and turning them round as quickly as possible.

Sorry to hear that at this moment in time you would not consider returning. I do hope sometime in the future you may have a change of heart and experience an enjoyable stay, similar to those guests who have commented on Tripadvisor prior to you.

David Daly

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

london
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The hotel was ok, it's a good location and the staff are very friendly. We were on the 7th floor which is very noisy, you can hear the trams at night, but the worst part is the room insulation or lack of, we could hear people in the corridors and the couple next door, not the best sleep.
The rooms aren't the largest and the bathroom is dated, we found the pillow hard but left a note for housekeeping and they replaced them with softer ones which was nice.
The room was very clean but no minibar?
Wifi is awful incredibly slow.
Probably not likely to return but mainly because we saw a lot of other hotels in the area we would like to try.

Room Tip: Higher up is better
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Feijoa7

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to hear that we did not fully meet your expectations on this occasion.

Although I do appreciate that there are now many hotels to choose from in the City, I would hope that sometime in the future we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an overall enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel is one of the best placed hotels in Manchester -- step outside and you're surrounded by cafés, restaurants, shopping centres and excellent transportation links. The rooms are clean, of a good size and are reasonably priced. Our room had a view over Piccadilly Gardens which was nice, although there was a bit of noise coming from the fans on the roof below (probably would have been moved if we had asked, but it wasn't anything to prevent you getting to sleep). The en suite was again of a very good size with a bath and shower which is always good. My only qualm is that the shower was quite low down and I had to crouch to successfully wash my hair. The bath was also pretty narrow. All in all, however, the hotel was superb and I look forward to staying again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Adam S

Many thanks indeed for taking the time and trouble to post your review following your time with us and sharing your experience.

I was delighted to hear that all in all you had a super stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is a typical corporate venue , clean , friendly staff but soulless and transient ...actually suited our purpose as we literally required a bed for the night BUT our room had the air con generators for the entire hotel situated outside and the noise was excruciating all night long . To be fair we should have called reception to see if there was anything they could / would do , but after a few hours of tossing and turning and turning our air on off to see if that helped it was 0500 and didn't seem worth it . I mentioned it on check out and the guy on reception listened and kindly did not charge for our nights parking and I dare say if I had really caused a fuss they may well have refunded but I could see there was a rude Arab woman shouting the odds about something and I didn't have the heart to go for the jugular . I go up to Manchester 3 times a year , I may give it another go and ask for a quiet room as location excellent .

Room Tip: ask to be away from air con units ! room 623 I think
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Vicky09

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay with us on this occasion, particularly as a result of noise disturbance; please accept my apologies. I have noted that you do visit Manchester regularly and sincerely hope that as you found our location to be excellent, we may have the opportunity to welcome you back. At booking stage, please do request a room perhaps on a higher floor and at the back of the hotel, which are quieter than the front facing rooms looking out over Piccadilly Gardens.

Wigan, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is hotel is ideal for shopping and nightlife and near to train stations very clean and friendly staff fantastic breakfast would not stay anywhere else , all the rooms are very well equipped with tea making facilities hair dryer ironing board etc and a free safe to store valuables which is an added bonus x

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Betty B

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I therefore thank you for sharing your experience. It goes without saying that I was delighted to hear that you consider us to be 'the best hotel in Manchester'. Your review will be shared with the whole team, who I know will be equally as pleased as I was to receive it.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel and gave my feedback in an email to the customer services manager. I advised them that I usually review all my hotel stays on trip advisor.

I was requested not to publicly give my opinion on this hotel, instead give them the chance to deal with the issues raised and offered me a complimentary stay in the future to see if they can give me a positive experience of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear Pete191

Thank you for your review. I am aware that you have been in contact with our Customer Services Manager. Sometimes things can go wrong or indeed not go to plan and at such times, we will always aim to do our best to restore guest confidence in us. I am disappointed to hear that you believe the gesture of goodwill was made with a view to you not posting your feedback on Tripadvisor. Our aim was indeed to have the opportunity to welcome you back, restore your confidence in us and thus hopefully post a guest review afterwards, similar to those reviews posted before you, highlighting what a super time a guest has had. I trust sometime in the future that this may indeed be the case.

David Daly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ibis Styles Manchester Portland Street
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Arora Hotel Manchester
Arora Hotel Manchester
#20 of 116 in Manchester
Jurys Inn Manchester City Centre

Been to Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel? Share your experiences!