“Excellent hotel for our Wedding Anniversary”

Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel
Ranked #64 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester
“Excellent hotel for our Wedding Anniversary”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Mercure Manchester Piccadilly, again, for our wedding anniversary. We have stayed in this hotel a number of times in the past but, for this occasion, we upgraded to a Privilege room.

The hotel is one of the best placed in all of Manchester, overlooking Piccadilly gardens. Being a short walk from Piccadilly station and having its own car park (15 pounds overnight or 10 pounds for a day visit) there are numerous ways to reach the hotel.

Beth on reception was fantastic checking us in and was really helpful, she had us in and up to our room on the 14th floor very quickly. Special mention must also go to Jane Shaw who had assisted me in organising the room and some flowers to surprise my wife. She was a great help and made our stay even more special.

The privilege room is great, almost double to size of a standard room. It has a large, must be, king size bed, sofa and large flat screen tv. The room also has a desk and chair with large storage area and safe. Along with an ironing board/iron, nespresso machine and some robes/slippers the room is fantastic. The bathroom was spacious with a great shower too!

Due to my Accor status we enjoyed a free drink the bar which is large and well stocked. In the morning the bar converts to a restaurant where you can have a great cold or cooked breakfast, overlooking Piccadilly gardens. A tip, if still applicable when you check in, breakfast is 15 pounds but, if you purchase it before midnight the previous day there was an offer for breakfast at 7.50!

If you are thinking of staying in Manchester, make this hotel one of the first you consider.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for good views, room 1430 is the only Privilege room on the top floor. All other...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank coyotes_uk
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear coyotes_uk

Thank you for your review. I was really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Wedding Anniversary celebration with us and that the team looked after you so well. Both Beth and Jane in particular will see sight of your kind feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

kind regards
David Daly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ballinasloe, Ireland
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Whilst I would say the room was on the small side this was the only the fault I could find in the accommodation. The room was clean, bright and the addition of the air conditioning was welcomed. The staff are very friendly and helpful. We had a small problem with our wash hand basin in the room but the receptionist was onto maintenance immediately after we had spoken to her. We did not eat in the hotel but did go into the bar one night but found the prices were high. The location is ideal for the centre of Manchester and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul S
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Paul S

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us. I was pleased to hear that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay and you found our location in particular ideal.

Thank you too for your recommendation and trust that it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

we stayed there for a night in august, checked in easily nice clean spacious room and bathroom, friendly staff, would recommend for the night or longer!!. not the cheapest hotel but definatley a classy hotel no drunks or yobs, right in the centre of town, only downside is if your a smoking and go outside for a ciggarette there seems to be a stream of people passing by asking for one of you. got slightly annoying

1 Thank Graeme H
Dear Graeme H

Thank you for your review following your time with us in August. I pleased to hear that you appear to have enjoyed your stay and many thanks for your recommendation too.

For future reference, if you do ever have cause to head our way again, rather than go downstairs to ground floor street level for a cigarette, please feel free to utilise the smoking area which has been created on the car deck just outside reception on the 2nd floor.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

The hotel is excellently situated for the shopping, nightlife and famous gay village. We paid an extra £20 for a "privilege room" which was large and immaculate with bathrobes a coffee machine, complimentary water. Great views over Manchester. Free WiFi.

All the staff we met were welcoming especially on reception.

Parking was £15 but I then saw the barrier was jammed open and others left without paying!

I would definitely stay here again and it was great value and felt luxurious for Mercure, much better than Novotels we have stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room, it's worth paying a bit extra for a "privilege" room. Our huge...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank beoutstanding
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Beoutstanding

Many thanks indeed for posting your review following your time with us; it really is appreciated.

I was pleased to hear that the hotel formed a convenient base for your visit. Indeed many of our guests do comment on our excellent location.

The car park barrier has unfortunately been out of action. During this time, the Reception/Concierge team have been tasked to do the necessary to ensure that all guests are charged the appropriate fee, as indeed we do have to be fair to all. I am only too sorry to hear that you saw other guests leaving without paying.

It was pleasing to hear though that you will definitely stay with us again and with this in mind, I hope that it won't be too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Sydney, NSW
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Having travelled extensively throughout England and Australia the quality of this hotel is disappointing. It has a very tired feel, dirty carpets, poor sound insulation between rooms and very strange access to reception and parking. (Reception is on the 2nd level, you take a lift from ground floor entrance or drive up a ramp if in a car)
On initially arriving after a long flight from Australia In the morning, I was bluntly told my room would not be available until after 2 pm...no mention of storing luggage or using the bar area to rest...when I eventually got a room later that day, the room given was terrible, very dated and when I could hear the conversations being held either side of me I could not have been more annoyed. Impossible to sleep.
After discussing this with reception I had no joy....sorry sir we are fully booked so cannot change your room!
I have to say that the next day the staff did move me to a quieter room, corner room high floor which I thanked them for. I have to add though that out of our party of 4 all of us changed rooms due to disturbance from neighbours within 1 day or arriving.
Had breakfast once and decided to give it a miss after that.. Very mass produced feel, if you enjoy your food basic then it will be ok for you.
An ok hotel but certainly well below the standards in Australia I am accustomed to. Qualia.....you have nothing to worry about!

Room Tip: Away from lifts, high floor and ask for a corner room, that way you only get disturbed from one side...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Aussiemiller
Dear AussieMiller

Thank you for your review.

It goes without saying that I was extremely sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and you have gone away feeling disappointed, for which I apologise. The team have been given visibility of your feedback and I know too, that they will be equally as disappointed as I was to receive.

Although I see that you have a preferred hotel group for your accommodation requirements, I would hope sometime in the future you may consider using Mercure Hotels again.

David Daly

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I should start by saying the bed was comfy and clean, so the hotel is bearable, but it's really just not a good choice. It's in poor condition mostly due to age, which is understandable but room was just not what you expect from a 4, or even 2 star hotel - the inside of shower curtain was dirty, carpet was had multiple stains, phones didn't work, thermostat cover was missing.

The service/friendliness of staff was also inconsistent - there was also only one large towel for two people and one bar of soap, however after going downstairs (because phones in room didn't work), the staff was kind an apologetic and sent towels immediately.

The front desk staff couldn't check me in early (first time I've encountered just putting you off because you're an hour early), they didn't acknowledge I was a new Accorhotel member, and first time at this hotel. First room they gave me was right in front of elevator - not the "first time" experience you'd expect. And last but not least, internet was so slow/barely worked in the evenings - couldn't do any work, so if you're there on business, forget checking email or doing anything productive at night.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank solezav
Dear Solevaz

I am really sorry and most disappointed to read your review following your stay with us. Your comments have been shared with the team so that they may investigate and put right the issues you experienced to prevent them from re-occuring for other guests.

Although I see your disappointment at the moment, I do hope in time, you will consider using Mercure Hotels again.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Very good security at night. Bypassers cannot enter the hotel as they wish. The checking in counter is at the second floor. its like people are filtered through.

Check in is quick. Lucas assisted us. He is very approachable.

Our room was spotless. The bed is comfy especially the pillows. I woke up early as expected because I heard the wind whistle as if there is a mini hurricane coming.

The toiletries are lovely as well. They are different than what Ibis and Novotel provide. Smells like bubblegum shampoo and bath gel.

I requested for shampoo and gel in the morning and accidentally dialled the wrong extension, but the person who answered me, entertained me and in a few minutes, my request was there together with a new warm bath towels. Normally, in 4 stars hotel, when you dialled the wrong no, the person on the other end would ask you to dial again with the correct no.

The location is excellent near bus station, train station, tram station and arndale. Its just walking distance to museums and other attractions.

We will return again to this charming property.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank WorkingmuminEngland
David D, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear WorkingmuminEn

Guest feedback is extremely important to us and I therefore thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience of our Hotel following your time with us.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our location to be excellent. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.