“Stop over”
Review of The Ox

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manchester
The Ox
Ranked #4 of 29 Manchester B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Stop over”
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely pub chatty staff probably a little to personal on questions but up to you how you reply but still very pleasant.
Rooms basic beds clean but too hard stayed in a twin room. I dont think the bathroom had had a clean for a little while was musty then a clean fresh smell. Marks on carpet.
It served its purpose I would stay again as a good friendly cheap night

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank eangiectr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Manchester
Reviewed 7 September 2013

As a regular visitor to the bar for food and drink in the past, I looked forward to treating my parents to a celebratory meal on their trip over from York - maybe not my best idea this year! The food was at best OK: pies were flavoursome; ham hock bland. However the service was very poor. The waitress (I assume she was new) didn't appear to have a clue about the menu and had to keep running back to the kitchen to get answers to our questions, e.g. what veg came with the pie? does the soup have cream in it?
Very slow service to get our initial drinks and take our order, and once the mains arrived they still got my mother's request wrong (no mash please, just plain veg. It came with mash and no veg). The table was slow to be cleared, with empty and unused wine glasses piling up.

This once exciting eatery has introduced a new menu, competitively priced and with a good range of options. The food is passable but not anything to rave about; the service is dire and based on last night's experience we will not be back in the foreseeable future. The bill of £116 for 4 people with drinks was reasonable; the service not worthy of a tip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank gazzathom40

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Lingfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Good value. Yes, hot and noisy if your room is on the main road, but good enough for one or two nights visiting Manchester. Its location is its main strength. Near all the nightlife and restaurants in Deansgate and Spinningfields, and walkable to Old Trafford. And just along the road from Akhbars, the best curry place I've been to.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andy J
london
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

I am currently lying in bed at the Ox. Thank god I brought my earplugs because the cars going past every few seconds would otherwise definitely keep me awake through the single glaZed windows, with cracks in the wood meaning you can actually see outside through the closed window ( through the wood). The reason I am lying in bed, feeling quite sticky and horrible, is because my shower ISN'T WORKING. This is after the toilet roll holder has fallen off the wall and the towel rail has come unstuck from its insertion. I'm drinking my water out of a little cup as there are no glasses here.

Pillows are comfy and there are charging sockets next to the bed though ( in my triple room it is three singles so I don't even get the luxury of a double bed to moan from.)

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank lu1820
Basel
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Stayed at the Ox for several nights and we can truly recommend it.
Location is fine, as it is a short stroll from all the shops, restaurants and pubs of central Manchester and just in the middle of picturesque Castlefield. Im summer it is particularly nice to stay here, as you got the canals with all the lovely narrow boats and restaurants right on your door step.
We occupied two rooms which were equally large, well furbished with an equally large bathroom. The sofa in our room has seen better days, but it was still ok.
The only trouble was that there was no hot water on the first day we stayed there. As we complained, staff were very apologetic and sorted the issue as quickly as possible.
It seems like all rooms are facing the street and I was woken up by people passing and talking or singing loudly outside. Ear plugs were essential...
Another reviewer complained about not having Wi-Fi but we on the other hand had no issues regrarding internet access at any point.
Right outside the pub are a few parking spaces. We had no trouble parking there in the evening when we returned from our days out.
We ate once in the pub, which was ok, except for the fact they mixed our meals up. However, we got a sincere apology and a round of free drinks. For serious gourmets there are nicer restaurants nearby in Castlefield.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ria569
Alsager
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We booked here because we left it until too late to get a room at the premier inn or travel lodge. We paid £60 for a double room. Room was decorated ok. Bed too hard, room like a sauna, no fan, no coffee on tea left on hot drinks tray, noise from outside the downstairs pub from rowdy customers til 3am, noise from other room all night and rude staff!!!! Don't go!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Summer1712
cumbria
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed here over new year. We got a very very good deal, was so much cheaper than the rest of the hotels close to the centre. We got to the hotel and was really pleased with the room. Centrally located, clean and modern. A little noise from the road outside, but did not keep us awake. Comfortable bed, lots of hot water and good staff.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple