DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
US$158
US$90
US$82
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$111
US$96
  • Free Internet
4,398 results
All reviewsdouble treewarm cookiescity cafetrain stationon arrivalfree wificanal streetmanchester piccadillyexcellent hotelmodern hotelmini barbusiness triphotel barbreakfast was excellentcentral locationsaturday nightchecking in
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Having had a fantastic stay in the previously named City Inn (now Mint Hotel) in Leeds last year, we thought we would try the same hotel in Manchester. In general, this hotel isn't a patch on the Leeds one and was very disappointing. We stayed for a weekend on a special offer rate including dinner, bed and breakfast.

The check in staff were very friendly and checked us in quickly and arranged for us to have access to the underground car park, which was great, if a little pricey at £15 per day. This hotel is in a fantastic location for the city centre, train station and was very easy to get to by car.

This hotel is obviously slightly older than the leeds branch, and is generally looking a little tired. The lobby and bar areas were well designed a few years ago, but look a little soulless now. Our room was just ok, not fantastic as we had found in Leeds. There was a hole in the duvet cover, the seal on the shower door was missing meaning that the shower room floor got soaked every time we used the shower, and the bath robes were still covered in make up from the previous occupant. Its a shame they didnt put a bath in these rooms. Everything else was good - the imac is a nice touch, as are the white company toiletries and nice clipper teas and coffees.

The main thing that really lets this hotel down is the restaurant. The dinner included in our room rate was the 3 course fixed price "market menu". The menu options are ok (not incredibly exciting) but the portion sizes are not generous! We heard several people in the restaurant complaining on both nights of this. It would be helpful if waiting staff encouraged you to order some side dishes (but these would not be included in the price). That said, after three courses, we felt like we'd had an ok meal.

Breakfast was basically a disaster, although they are trying hard. The cooked element to the breakfast is cooked to order, which is the main problem. The waitress took our order shortly after we sat down, but we ended up waiting for about 40 minutes for our food to arrive both mornings - so I don't think this was a one off. The first morning the waitress tried to hurry us along as they were busy and I think needed the table back, but the food arrived just after we explained we were still waiting. I think they would do better having cooked breakfast items laid out buffet style to avoid this problem, I'm sure they must have this in the kitchen and it's just a case of plating them up. The quality of the food however was very good when it got to us. On the second morning, the waitress was extremely apologetic and gave us a bottle of wine to take away as a goodwill gesture. This was very pleasant, but I would have rather they just served my breakfast on time!

I don't think I would go back to this hotel again. I was extremely impressed after a stay in their Leeds hotel, but if my first visit had been to Manchester, I would have been disappointed. This hotel is just average, nothing special - which makes it an expensive average hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The people working in this nicely decorated, modern hotel are very friendly. Joe helped us to find the nicest restaurants, like Piccolino a great Italian. Milo solved our problem with the DVD player. They make you feel very welcome. Breakfast was good, the rooms were clean and ample, the free use of wifi and a Mac computer, location was very good. It's a two minute walk from the train station, you can walk to the city centre and to several good restaurants.
We will definitely come again!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Good hotel in a great location right next to picadilly train station but with no noise. Picadilly gardens and the Arndale shopping centre only five minutes walk.

Good sized room with free Internet and wifi. My wife found the pillows a bit thin but a quick call to reception and more were delivered after about 5 minutes. Breakfast was a bit busy and they did make a mistake with my order but it was quickly rectified and had a bottle of wine as an appology!

I would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: July 2011
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Thank you for sharing your review.

It is a pleasure to read you enjoyed your visit.

At Mint Hotel we take customer service extremely seriously and we are always on hand, as you mentioned to respond and react to the feedback our guests kindly provide.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future, and I invite you to contact me personally if there is anything I can assist with.

Kind regards,

Jack

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Has the large public spaces of a very good hotel. Rooms are of a decent size, clean, comfortable and utilitarian. Judging by the floor map on the back of the door, almost all the rooms seem identical in size. Everything works and the free computer access via an iMac that doubles as a TV and radio is extremely useful, although it takes a few minutes to get used to an Apple computer if your experience is with PCs and it also takes a few minutes to turn on the TV or radio from scratch.

I see that some past reviewers have mentioned a shortage of breakfast spaces. The breakfast room / dining room seemed to be pretty large to me and there was always plenty of space when I had breakfast, although that was quite early. Did not dine there.

Booked a room with full breakfast through Expedia - very good value.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Thank you for your review.

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mint Hotel Manchester.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Stayed 21st July for one night. Hotel is spotless. Rooms have the feeling that you are the first person to use them (rare in my experience ! ).Breakfast is extensive , the cold buffet looks fresh and unlike so many other hotels the cooked breakfast is actually brought to you ! not kept in those awful luke warm trays.
So would I stay again.....Oh Yes.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business