“In the words of OFSTED, good but not outstanding.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #21 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“In the words of OFSTED, good but not outstanding.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

My friend and I chose Mint Hotel because of the close proximity to bars we wanted to frequent and we felt the price was reasonably good value (£79 for a twin room).
I arrived at noon to be told the room was not ready. This was fine as I was a little early awaiting my friend. The receptionist confirmed it was for a twin room. I settled down in the bar for a beverage whilst awaiting my friend. The bar was tastefully decorated and had a nice feel to it.
When my friend arrived (who had booked the room) we went to drop our bags in our room and noticed that it had not been made into a twin room despite alerting staff to this when I arrived.
Room: First impressions - small and clean. The Mini bar was locked so we noted this to tell the reception along with making the room into a twin. The iMac is great and you can do everything you would want to on the computer at home (full sized keyboard and mouse). Bathroom had a good shower with White Company toiletries to accompany.
We went out at 1pm and noted the beds again to the Receptionist. When we came back at 6pm, disheartingly we found the beds had still not been made into twin beds. This was the third time that our instruction hadn't been acted upon and it is incidents like these which I believe don't make Hotels outstanding. For an outstanding hotel, every base needs to be covered and at Mint Hotels, this was not the case. They say they are 'obsessed' with customer feedback so hopefully they will read this.
They apologised for the situation but no free drink was forthcoming. A comment in jest you may think however I stayed at Hilton Manchester Deansgate last week and as my room wasn't ready to check in for a guaranteed check in, they were extremely apologetic and handed me two free drink vouchers for use in their bar. A nice touch and well received by my travelling party (Mint take note)
Breakfast: The highlight of the stay. I wasn't sure how I felt about ordering a hot breakfast and how many sausages or rashers of streaky bacon I wanted but all the ingredients were of good quality. I know my breakfast ingredients and all the elements on the plate were equisite and fresh. Yes, I know I am only talking about an English breakfast but it really was that good! Good array of continental options as well.
In conclusion i have rated this 'Very Good'. I would like to have given 3.5 stars (i.e. good) as 'very good' is pushing it. The breakfast I felt was outstanding. The room was fine for what it was however the bed situation did displease my friend and I.
Staff during our stay were pleasant, professional and charming.
Would I stay here again? I would probably choose a different hotel as nothing about this one made me think "I must stay here when I visit Manchester".

Room Tip: Sorry, not too sure!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Tyrone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Great location, just across the road from Piccadilly train station. Lovely clean rooms and great morning breakfast. Very central to all amenities Manchester has to offer. Would definetely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Location
      Rooms
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

The unlimited internet access and mac computer with Tv is amazing. I love it love . Great location 2 mins walk to the city center and the train station is opposite the hotel . The staff are amazing so friendly and know there job . The man at reception was helpful I did not get his name :( but he was so helpful as it was my 1st time in Manchester he gave me alot of info his work colleague kept trying to talk to him mean while he was working but he still was helpful . The room was big and spacious and a good view alot of nice goodies inside the room bathroom was beautiful and big .BUT THE SAD PART housekeeping came and did not change my sheets but spread back the bed (confuse face) they then put back dirty pillows and cushion but they was happy to change and did so quickly. The tv was a bit slow but ok. This is an excellent hotel 66 pound per night GREAT ! Everyone get down there

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank N_D_Franklin
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I booked this room online for £69, which included breakfast

The hotel is 3 minutes walk from Picaddily station and on arrival I was greeted efficiently by reception ( there were 4 people working on check in)

Got to my room to find I have an Apple imac in there and together with free WIFI ( ery high speed at around 11mbps)

The room was clean and tidy with a good shower and power points in all the right places.

A bonus for me was that the TV had sky sports

I must say that my stay exceeded my expectations in every way and the breakfast was also very good value, considering it was all in the price. The breakfast staff get your tea or coffee and toast brought to your table ( take note Holiday Inn)

If I was to have one gripe it would be that I had to wait almost 20 minutes for my brekfast from the moment of ordering. The ordering is done on a smart device and I assume its fed directly into the kitchen. Saying the the quality of the food was very good and the staff were very attentive and heavy in numbers

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Toffeeman2011
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

Good value, nice staff and excellent breakfast... not many places you can get a kedgeree. Smart and stylish

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

Stayed overnight Friday to Saturday to attend a colleagues retirement in the City. Great location so convenient for the European Cafe culture and nightlife of the wonderfully revitalised Manchester.
Chic and glamorous bar area with a wide choice of drinks, quality evening meals.
Staff are a credit to the hotel, high quality breakfast and good value.
Even better than our first visit.
A wonderful chain of hotels, have also used the London Westminster and Glasgow hotels, Amsterdam and Leeds next we think

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank NEWLIFE2
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Thank you for your very kind review.

Its real pleasure for us all at Mint to learn we have contributed to an enjoyable visit to Manchester. Please do get in touch with me directly next time you are plan to stay with Mint, it would be a real pleasure to take care of all of the necessary arrangements for you personally.

Best wishes,