“Excellent staff.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #19 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I'm slightly suprised at some of the gushing reviews. Hotel is more than adequate. Room was excellent although possibly a little on the small side. TV/computer seemed slightly ridiculous. Had some issues with waiting for lift from 6th floor. On a positive note the staff were fabulous and breakfast was one of the best I have had. Location was good for railway station and Man City but not so good for nicer side of city centre. Overall, good place, in terms of business friendly city-centre hotel, with fabulous staff, but that's it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichMelBarnet
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

What a real pleasure it is to read that the team offered all the assistance required during your recent stay. Please contact me directly when you next plan to stay. It would be my pleasure to assist with any accomodation arrangements.

Jack

Write a ReviewReviews (4,327)

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I took two suites in this hotel at great expense. I can not believe they had the audacity to call them suites, the standard and specification were a huge disappointment and they are ridiculously priced. This is a vastly overrated hotel with inadequate facilities to charge these rates.

Do not waste your money, this is basically a travellodge on steroids.

Room Tip: Don't waste money on a suite
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lindalejohn

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with Tripadvisor.

I am terribly sorry that you found the hotel to be a let down and we did not meet your expectations, nor exceed as we intend.

I would be delighted if you could contact me directly at the hotel to discuss your feedback further. Jack.Appleton@minthotel.com.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I chose to stay here because of previous good reviews and I was not disappointed. The room was of moderate size, but very adequate and clean. There was only a shower in the bathroom, my wife would have preferred a bath, but the shower was good and large enough. The view from the bedroom was of office blocks, but it is the middle of the city after all, and having said that it was very quiete with no street noise intruding.
There is an iMac which doubles as the TV, it took me a few minutes to work out how to get the speakers to come on, not the most friendly system if you are a technophobe.
We arrived by train and it is very convenient for Piccadilly station, a short walk with a bridge and ramp providing easy pedestrian access to the hotel.
I think the previous reviewer was just unlucky, we had prompt sevice at reception and the staff were polite and very helpful.
I can't comment about the food, we did not eat in the hotel. The bar is a modern hotel bar, a bit impersonal to my taste but probably suiting many.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 5KAG

Thank you for your review.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mint Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

Anyone who's seen my previous reviews knows I'm not really a serial complainer. Only the godawful loony bin that is Tintagel Castle in the west country has really provoked my ire before.
Usually, I only use this forum to recommend and praise - I hate those Tripadvisor contributors who find a spider in the bathroom and fulminate for ten paragraphs about cleanliness issues.
But, up here on a story for my newspaper, I had a pretty miserable evening. I'd heard good things about the Mint, so was not prepared for the unhelpful reception staff (who overcharged me the next day), the rather cramped room (I'd asked for the biggest bed available being 6'5"), and the unbearable noise from the adjacent room, which made it very hard to concentrate on work. I called reception to complain but the indifference to my plight was palpable. Nothing was done.
It does look good and, given the other positive reviews I obviously caught them on an off-night, but what an off-night it was. Frankly, I was treated shabbily.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank EssexPaul
Reviewed 8 December 2011

As a regular business traveller and frequent visitor to this hotel, I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Manchester. Fantastic staff, clean well equipped and good sized rooms. If you want a quieter room get one looking out over Auburn Street - not a very good view of a long derelict building but quiet! I just hope that Hilton don't wreck this great hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Maltonian1
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a wonderful review.

It is fantastic to read such great comments from someone who stays with us on such a regular basis - I'm glad you enjoy Mint Hotel again and again.

As always we are on hand 24/7 to respond and react to valuable Guest feedback, Jack.Appleton@minthotel.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

After a recent weekend visit to Manchester I am full of praise for this superb hotel. For those who know Manchester, it is located at the bottom of the slope that leads down from Piccadilly Station; for those who are new to Manchester, it is right in the centre near trams and buses and within a few minutes' walking distance of shops, restaurants - and even within walking distance of the Etihad Stadium for City's matches. (Ask for directions or get a taxi.)
Location apart, it is a modern, clean, tasefully furnished and friendly hotel with lovely staff They even have a supply of umbrellas for those who underestimate the likelihood of rain in the city.The busy bar and restaurant are first-rate with a nice range of of drinks and meals. Once again, highly recommended on every level.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Atkino
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

Thank you for sharing such a glowing review!

It is genuinely inspiring to read and share with the team such positive feedback from our Guests. We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mint Hotel in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly, Jack.Appleton@minthotel.com.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

I stay over in Manchester quite a lot for and because of lots of positives reviews thought this would be the perfect venue for our hallween weekend. We booked 2 rooms (two couples) and had late check out 3pm built into our deal. Location is very good, near to Piccadily train station, soon as we arrived the staff are quite warming and proffessional even though it seems very busy. The rooms are a bit of a let down to be honest, quite small and pokey and not really what I expected for a hotel that was rated fabulous by many. Being unfortunately in construction for my sins pricing hotels is my game. e.g. a travelodge would cost around 35k to build a room were as a malmaison would cost around 120k a room, a mint hotel from a quality point of view seems like it sits in the middle. The hotel feels a bit lifeless maybe boring, I was just expecting so much more. The breakfast on the Sunday was very bad, Firstly we had to wait at least 30 min to be seated (everbody goes at the same time!), the hostess didnt realy know what she was doing, when we finally got seated, we were asked for our order before we had seen a menu, drinks never arrived even though we asked 3 seperate people, two breakfasts came the others didnt, in the end we half ate it and went. I complained to the manager, who sort of appologsed and gave us his card, by this point we had enough and went home.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank paul r

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with Tripadvisor. It would be great if you could contact me directly at the hotel to discuss your feedback further, Jack.Appleton@minthotel.com.