“return visit and just as good”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #18 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 13 December 2011

It's been about a year since I was last at The Mint and it is as sharp and well cared for as before (bathroom seemed like brand new !) It's not the cheapest by any means but that has the advantage of keeping hen parties at bay and the generally resultant chaos that can cause.

It's so well located - a bridge or easy road crossing from Piccadilly rail/tram station and a hundred yards or so from the heart of Manchester

Staff charming,smiley and friendly and room fine and on an upper floor as requested. It has an opening window-rare in a modern hotel

I met friends in the bar for more than an hour and service fine on a busy evening with a very nice ambiance

I give great stock to a hotel manager who reads trip adviser and note there is frequent response on here-in my book a very good sign-and reflects on what is a very good modern city centre hotel - try it !!

Room Tip: my own taste-but prefer upper rooms....this is a city centre hotel (well insulated tho!) and I reall...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a glowing review!

Some fantastic points, well summarised in a review with is a genuine pleasure to share with the team. We genuinely take the service we offer to our Guests extremely seriously. It is our number one priority, I am extremely proud to read that you experience this each time you visit.

I would be delighted to assist with your travel arrangements when you next plan to stay with us in Manchester - Jack.Appleton@minthotel.com.

And please accept my apologies for the delay in the response to some of the more recent reviews.

Best wishes for 2012.

Jack

Write a ReviewReviews (4,257)

Reviewed 13 December 2011

With the sale of Mint Hotels to Hilton I do hope this hotel won't change. The staff, the rooms and the food are all first class. Please, please keep this hotel unique.

My last visit was really good. The reception team could not have been more helpful. Dinner was very, very good and breakfast - well I eat too much!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a kind and warm review after your recent stay with us. I will make sure your feedback is passed on to the entire team.

We have some exciting things planned for January 2012 and we genuinely look forward to sharing them with our Guests!

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel, Jack.Appleton@minthotel.com.

Reviewed 12 December 2011

This hotel is well - located in the heart of Manchester. The hotel is big and a little impersonal but the staff were helpful and friendly and there were lots of them!
The room was clean, had great toiletries, robes etc.
Excellent breakfast.
I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with Tripadvisor.

It was great to hear we were attentive and everybody was polite during your recent visit. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mint Hotel Manchester.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I'm slightly suprised at some of the gushing reviews. Hotel is more than adequate. Room was excellent although possibly a little on the small side. TV/computer seemed slightly ridiculous. Had some issues with waiting for lift from 6th floor. On a positive note the staff were fabulous and breakfast was one of the best I have had. Location was good for railway station and Man City but not so good for nicer side of city centre. Overall, good place, in terms of business friendly city-centre hotel, with fabulous staff, but that's it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichMelBarnet
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

What a real pleasure it is to read that the team offered all the assistance required during your recent stay. Please contact me directly when you next plan to stay. It would be my pleasure to assist with any accomodation arrangements.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I took two suites in this hotel at great expense. I can not believe they had the audacity to call them suites, the standard and specification were a huge disappointment and they are ridiculously priced. This is a vastly overrated hotel with inadequate facilities to charge these rates.

Do not waste your money, this is basically a travellodge on steroids.

Room Tip: Don't waste money on a suite
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lindalejohn

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with Tripadvisor.

I am terribly sorry that you found the hotel to be a let down and we did not meet your expectations, nor exceed as we intend.

I would be delighted if you could contact me directly at the hotel to discuss your feedback further. Jack.Appleton@minthotel.com.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

I chose to stay here because of previous good reviews and I was not disappointed. The room was of moderate size, but very adequate and clean. There was only a shower in the bathroom, my wife would have preferred a bath, but the shower was good and large enough. The view from the bedroom was of office blocks, but it is the middle of the city after all, and having said that it was very quiete with no street noise intruding.
There is an iMac which doubles as the TV, it took me a few minutes to work out how to get the speakers to come on, not the most friendly system if you are a technophobe.
We arrived by train and it is very convenient for Piccadilly station, a short walk with a bridge and ramp providing easy pedestrian access to the hotel.
I think the previous reviewer was just unlucky, we had prompt sevice at reception and the staff were polite and very helpful.
I can't comment about the food, we did not eat in the hotel. The bar is a modern hotel bar, a bit impersonal to my taste but probably suiting many.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 5KAG

Thank you for your review.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mint Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

Anyone who's seen my previous reviews knows I'm not really a serial complainer. Only the godawful loony bin that is Tintagel Castle in the west country has really provoked my ire before.
Usually, I only use this forum to recommend and praise - I hate those Tripadvisor contributors who find a spider in the bathroom and fulminate for ten paragraphs about cleanliness issues.
But, up here on a story for my newspaper, I had a pretty miserable evening. I'd heard good things about the Mint, so was not prepared for the unhelpful reception staff (who overcharged me the next day), the rather cramped room (I'd asked for the biggest bed available being 6'5"), and the unbearable noise from the adjacent room, which made it very hard to concentrate on work. I called reception to complain but the indifference to my plight was palpable. Nothing was done.
It does look good and, given the other positive reviews I obviously caught them on an off-night, but what an off-night it was. Frankly, I was treated shabbily.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business