“Disappointing”

Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Surrey, UK
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

It had started quite well and I really would have liked to have given a better star rating but things went downhill on the morning we left, so I’m afraid they are very lucky to receive even 3 stars from me.

So, to start – the good things:
On arrival I was quickly greeted by a receptionist who checked us in – gave us the famous warm chocolate chip cookies and gave us directions to the nearest other car park. They were fully booked for the weekend (no doubt because of the Bruce Springsteen concert which we were also going to) so I did not expect to get parking in the hotel car park.

My husband had booked a Deluxe King (this was a birthday treat for me as were the tickets to Brucie!) which included the Deluxe package (complimentary mini bar, breakfast, late check out and morning paper) but when I emailed the day before to check breakfast was definitely included I was emailed back telling me it wasn’t. Then on arrival the receptionist said it was!

Our room, although spacious, was a little shabby in places with a desk chair that had had all sorts of food stains and other grubby marks. The bathroom, however, was spotless and very well lit. The bed was very comfortable. The complimentary mini bar had beer, coke, half bottle of wine and snacks – all very nice, so I forgave the grubby chair. We went to the main bar area for a drink before leaving for the concert and this had a great lively atmosphere with a good cocktail menu and complimentary bar snacks. I had requested information about booking a cab to the concert in my email and had been told simply go to reception at the time I wanted one and one would arrive in 2 minutes. So I did exactly that and was told I should have booked in advance, as there was now at least a 20-minute wait. After pleading with the receptionist to keep trying, we eventually got one 15 minutes later. I also requested our morning newspaper with the same receptionist. So far a couple of things had been at odds with the email I had received the day before but still not enough to bother me.

It was the next morning everything seemed to go downhill. Firstly our newspaper failed to materialise. Not so bad but a little annoying. We were then greeted at the restaurant by a friendly member of staff who told us that there were no tables available at the moment and would we like to take a seat in the Blue Bar. I have NEVER experienced this in any restaurant at breakfast time ever, however understood that we might have arrived at a very busy time. We were then left, along with several other people, waiting for half an hour before we were called for our table. I assumed all the tables would be very busy but they weren’t. Plenty of empty tables of various sizes just waiting for guests– I counted at least 6. Then we queued up for our hot buffet breakfast. And this is where is seriously began to annoy me. 3 huge empty dishes proved that there were no sausages nor black pudding left, no hash browns, no mushrooms and no beans, the brown sauce container was completely empty and the ‘toast your own’ bread had completely run out. It was ridiculous, when there was a queue of at least 10 people just standing waiting. A waitress took away the empty dishes saying she’d be back soon but we realised she was unaware of the brown sauce and bread situation. We told the woman, who appeared to be in charge of the restaurant, what else was missing and her response was ‘chef is aware’. How on earth is it the chef’s responsibility to restock the bread and brown sauce! And there we stood, with other perplexed guests, waiting with our scrambled eggs congealing on our plates before eventually bits and pieces showed up.

The breakfast was actually very nice but by the time we finished we had been out of our room for almost an hour and had to rush. I watched several other very disgruntled people waiting for food and other guests waiting to be seated looking incredulously at the empty tables. It is obvious that the situation wasn’t so much a sudden rush of hotel guests for breakfast but very poor organisation, resulting in insufficient staff to manage the influx of hotel guests for breakfast. They obviously had the capacity and I have seen plenty other hotel restaurants with full tables at breakfast but never anyone waiting for more than a few minutes. The poor organisation was even worse when they must have know the day before, how many guest they had and how many would be having breakfast. And even if they only realised their cock up by 10am they could easily have redeployed staff from the over manned reception area; even if just to restock the bread and relay the tables!

The final straw came when we returned to our room to discover we were locked out. Luckily it took me so long to get back to reception because of waiting so long for the lift that I was relatively calm when I complained about not being able to get into our room. It was gone 11 by now and usual check out would have been 11. Our package included late check out but once again someone somewhere did not seem to know what our package included. The male receptionist curtly told me that they had NOT locked us out but that we must have put the key card next to a mobile phone. Obviously entirely our fault and of course we should have known that! Oddly our key had worked fine the day and evening before and that morning we left for breakfast without any mobile phones so his excuse/accusation did not ring true with me. It was just, once again, a way to avoid an apology. Similar to ‘Chef is aware’ response in the restaurant. It is a real shame when staff stubbornly refuse to apologise fearing they, or the venue, will lose face, even though apologising and graciously putting something right can actually enhance customer satisfaction.

So really, 3 stars is very generous of me considering our experience included the following:
An email telling me our package did not include breakfast when it did
An email telling me I didn’t need to book a cab in advance when really I should have done (and yes they knew about the concert)
A grubby food stained chair
A newspaper that didn’t show up
Being forced to wait 30 minutes for a table for breakfast
No food available even when seated for breakfast
Being locked out of our room because they had forgotten we had a late check out

This is a nice, modern hotel in a great location but they seriously need to work on their staff training, capacity planning and operations management or the 4.5 star rating here will drop.

Room Tip: Worth getting the Deluxe package with the King Deluxe as includes breakfast, complimentary mini bar...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear wishing3467,

On behalf of myself and the team I am so sorry for such a special occasion you had a less than positive experience with us and felt your feedback was not valued.

I will be addressing the issues you raised with our Director of Operations, however would like you to contact me directly, Jack.Appleton@hilton.com to discuss your review further.

Jack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This hotel is very well placed in easy walking distance of the city centre and the Etihad; we were there for the amazing Springsteen gig on June 22nd and stayed the extra night to explore Manchester.
Rooms very clean and comfortable, plenty of room, light and airy, great bathroom with walk in shower (no tub) bath robes, tea coffee, free WiFi, etc.

Room Tip: The trams are a bit noisy but ear plugs worked well!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic review!

It is great to read you enjoyed your visit, and the gig...and exploring Manchester!

We do hope we can host your visit again next time you are with us.

Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Myself and my partner have just returned from a one night stay. when we arrived we were greated by Irfan he was extremely polite and extremely professional. we arrived at our room. the room was beautiful and clean with all the facilities we needed. to find an Imac computer/ tv in the room was very nice. then to find bathrobes also made it very luxurious.
We had a wonderful stay and a wonderful nights sleep in a very comfortable bed.
The only issue we had was that £50 was taken off our card and when we checked out we were told it would be up too four days before it was put back onto the card.
we used the palace car park just round the corner. it cost £5 for the 24 hours weekend rate.
What a fantastic trip.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear bellaair,

Thank you for such a fantastic review - we are all delighted you had such an enjoyable stay!

We look forward to having the opportunity to assist with accommodation arrangements the next time you are in Manchester, and indeed welcome you back to the hotel.

Best wishes,

North Yorks
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed here for 1 night whilst attending a concert. The car park was full but we were directed to a local public car park which is very nearby. Cost £12 for the stay.
Staff were very helpful. room spacious and clean. We ate in hotel prior to concert which was quick and fine.Breakfast had plenty of choice, food quality good and food hot.
WE used express checkout and the bill had been emailed to me before I arrived home. Unfortunately we had been charged again for breakfast which was part of original booking.When I telephoned the hotel they immediately agreed to refund this to my card.
The hotel is very close to Piccadilly railway station.

2 Thank RJHNorthYorks
Thank you for your review.

I am extremely pleased to read you had such an enjoyable visit and express check out worked so well for your plans! I am sorry for the error with your bill, however was pleased to learn that one of my colleagues addressed the issue immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 24 June 2012

I have stayed at this hotel through three changes of owner - mint, cityinn and Hilton. Previously, if asked to recommend a hotel in Manchester it would have been this one, but I would not do so under the current ownership. The hotel seems shabby. When we phoned reception to report that the tv didn't work, it took over an hour and a call to remind them of the fault for them to send someone to fix it. The in-room safe also didn't work. But the real shame is the new buffet-style breakfast. Horrible food and you even have to make your own toast (on a toaster that wasn't working properly, which meant it was really just hot bread). To top the experience off, a service charge was added to the bill, which is ridiculous considering everything was serve yourself. At checkout, I told the member of staff about the breakfast experience. Unfortunately she was completely uninterested and seemed to have heard it all before.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank kittykat2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with Tripadvisor.

I am terribly sorry you did not have a positive experience when you recently stayed with us. I would be delighted if you could contact me directly, Jack.Appleton@hilton.com to discuss your issues further.

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

DT Hilton Manchester is located in the city centre and minutes from Manchester Picadilly station, it's an ideal base for anyone coming up from the south and working/enjoying the city. The staff were friendly and professional and I sensed they were a strong and happy team. The hotel is modern, comfortable and clean.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Dear Trevor H,

Thank you for your feedback. It is great to read and share with the team you enjoy staying with us. We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

manchester
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed at the double tree on saturday 23rd june as its handy for the village and the station and what a brilliant hotel, the check in was quick and efficient,the rooms where spotless and the room i was in which was 242 was a great room for people watching heading to and from picc station.i would really recommend this hotel maybe wait until they have good deals on and grab the deal quick, great hotel great location.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for sharing such a great review.

We are all really glad you had such an enjoyable visit and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Best wishes,