“Great hotel at a great price”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel at a great price”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Nice, comfortable and modern hotel very close to Picadilly station. More than a hint of Hilton style, at about half the price.

Great, free Wifi included with smallish but comfortable room. Apple Mac/tv free to use in room.

Ate at the restaurant - very good food, but at a price. Place was three quarters empty so a little lacking in excitement. However, enjoyed my stay and will return - good value, great location and excellent service.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Stewart G,

It is great to read and share with the team such great comments. We all hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

Jack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
sheffield
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Clean, modern, comfortable and good value! I would recommend this hotel and would also seek out this band in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words.

It is inspiring to learn you would return to the hotel and look to stay at another Hilton Worldwide property when traveling - we look forward to welcoming you.

Manchester
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I am a big fan of the Doubletree brand in the USA (as some of my complimentary reviews on here will attest to) but I am not sure the brand values and quality have yet translated to this hotel (which has only recently become a Doubletree, having been first a City Inn and then a Mint hotel)...

I many ways, the hotel looks to be a good proposition.. It is conveniently located, fairly smart and there is a quite nice quiet buzz about the public areas when you first get there.. Check in staff are pretty friendly and try to help.. The bedrooms give a good first impression when you get into them..

But if you scratch the surface, the gloss isn't always that thick..

When I arrived, my room was not ready. I was not early, I was actually 30 minutes after guaranteed check in time, so why was this so? I was told it was because they had been very busy the night before. Now, I know this can be a problem on busy turnaround days, what with having to clean many rooms, some of which folks are holding on to until quite late, but, you know, that's not my problem.

To be fair to the staff, they worked hard to get this remedied as quickly as they could, and I didn't have to wait too long.. they comped some soft drinks to say "thanks for waiting"... but.... nonetheless..

I had a two roomed suite and whilst the aircon worked to cool the air in the living room area, it worked to warm the air in the bedroom which, consequently, was uncomfortably hot when I came back from dinner.. I could not get the bedroom aircon to cool at all, so I turned it off in the bedroom, and the room never then cooled particularly to my liking..

The room itself was OK, but soon started to look a little sterile, with little in the way of decoration to lift the accents. I'm all for modern/clean, but this was a little too much, especially in the bedroom are.. The bedside table was broken, snapped and the unit above the bed was also damaged.

It was also poorly lit at night, not helped by the fact that at least two of the lamps in the rooms had blown or faulty bulbs, including one of the bed unit down lighters (one of only 3 lights in the bedroom itself, two reading down lighters and one table lamp). It was hard to read in bed because of the poor design of the lighting.

As for the bed itself.. Not Doubletree standard.. The beds here are certainly not the "SweetDreams" sleep experience touted by Doubletree (come to think of it.. where was my "sweet dreams" pillow?). They are, on the contrary, uncomfortably hard with only one flat pillow option (which I didn't get on with)..

I am used to (and was expecting) the comfortable beds and great pillows in US Doubletrees (for sale on the Doubletree web site.. $1750 each.. )

The "nice" buzz of the common areas soon became less welcoming when I had to negotiate around folks milling about outside the single revolving entry door.. and I found the layout meant the hotel a little busy even when there were not all that many folks around..

I didn't bother with breakfast (even though I was entitled to a free breakfast) as I was really just ready to get off by the time morning came around..

I suspect that the hotel isn't really the bad hotel that I seem to be painting a picture of, rather, I think, my problem with it is that I expected more of it (or, perhaps, for it to be different to what it actually is). It certainly failed to deliver on my expectations. I expected the Doubletree brand and values that I have experienced in the USA and so was disappointed when I did not get that.

I am a Hilton brands regular, stay with them by choice, but I would stay here again only if the hotel moves more towards the Hilton/Doubltree brand values and quality..

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Juninho_pp
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

A fab hotel in a fab location! Looking for a modern place to chill out with friends after a shopping spree or a concert - doubletree by Hilton is a great hotel - clean, fresh, modern with service that is efficient. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joanne B
Thank you for your review and great catchy title.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best wishes,

York
Reviewed 21 July 2012

As a yorkshire man I like and expect value for money, I have been staying at the this hotel since it was the City Inn and yes the change to Hilton has lead to some things being tweaked but the excellent service and facilities on offer cannot be bettered in the city. The Location is second to none and is handy for all transport links. The staff are friendly helpful and experienced. For example when needing a Chinese for Dinner with friends, Milo on the front desk was able to recommend a decent one and then checked it was ok on my return.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone since feel that they do more than enough to justify a premier price,it may be listed as a 4* but personally feel it should be a lot higher.

Room Tip: Having stayed in all room types over the years,have NEVER had a bad room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Amsterdam352
Dear Amsterdam352,

Thank you for such a great review.

I can be contacted directly, Jack.Appleton@hilton.com if there is anything you need before your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

London
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I very much liked this hotel. It's difficult to find as there are no signs when arriving from the train station - it would be easy to put a sign in the window!!

Otherwise great hotel. Central. Nice bar, reasonable prices and good range of wines.

In room entertainment system is brilliant - apple tv and computer through tv - all free.

Rooms smallish but nicely decorated.

I love the Hilton Manchester but this doubletree is more convenient. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for such a great review.

It is great to read and share with the team that you would return and recommend the hotel. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Manchester is not short of mid-priced business/leisure hotels, so I was rather disappointed that the DoubleTree didn't really do anything to earn the premium price it was charging. While there was nothing really wrong, I didn't feel that I got anything for my money above what I would get in, say, a Premier Inn.

The food in the restaurant wasn't really impressive, and the one time we ordered room service, they managed to screw up the order.

Oh, and bar waitress? If you want to spend all your time flirting with some drunk businessmen in the hope of getting a big tip, rather than taking my order, then that's your call. But don't act surprised when I take the "voluntary" service charge off the bill because I had to order and collect my own drinks.

Service niggles aside (and you will get service niggles anywhere you go in the UK) I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. It was clean and quiet and well-appointed. But it just wasn't worth the money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business