“Great stay!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #19 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 27 July 2012 via mobile

Overall very delightful! Glad to see the standards of Doubletree are kept up here and even succeeded! Sleeping on this beds is like doing so on a cloud. Great location, service and it all! I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2012
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you for such great comments. We all hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly

Reviewed 26 July 2012

A pleasant stay for my husbands 40th but nothing special. We booked a 'roomy executive room' but not much room to get changed around the bed - when asked at reception they said we had a kingsize bed so it was an executive room. Nice and clean though.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear shanners100,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay in Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that the rooms did not meet your expectations - we all genuinely hope this will not deter you from choosing the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

Had a great stay here. Wifi in all rooms which is a plus for me. Good food in bar area and where it was slightly cold, was replaced and cost taken off the bill. Really central for Manchester city centre. Def would stay again

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We all appreciate you taking the time to feedback your thoughts on Tripadvisor. I am glad you had an enjoyable visit and the issue in the bar was rectified immediately.

It is great you would return to the hotel, and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Nice, comfortable and modern hotel very close to Picadilly station. More than a hint of Hilton style, at about half the price.

Great, free Wifi included with smallish but comfortable room. Apple Mac/tv free to use in room.

Ate at the restaurant - very good food, but at a price. Place was three quarters empty so a little lacking in excitement. However, enjoyed my stay and will return - good value, great location and excellent service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Stewart G,

It is great to read and share with the team such great comments. We all hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Clean, modern, comfortable and good value! I would recommend this hotel and would also seek out this band in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words.

It is inspiring to learn you would return to the hotel and look to stay at another Hilton Worldwide property when traveling - we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

I am a big fan of the Doubletree brand in the USA (as some of my complimentary reviews on here will attest to) but I am not sure the brand values and quality have yet translated to this hotel (which has only recently become a Doubletree, having been first a City Inn and then a Mint hotel)...

I many ways, the hotel looks to be a good proposition.. It is conveniently located, fairly smart and there is a quite nice quiet buzz about the public areas when you first get there.. Check in staff are pretty friendly and try to help.. The bedrooms give a good first impression when you get into them..

But if you scratch the surface, the gloss isn't always that thick..

When I arrived, my room was not ready. I was not early, I was actually 30 minutes after guaranteed check in time, so why was this so? I was told it was because they had been very busy the night before. Now, I know this can be a problem on busy turnaround days, what with having to clean many rooms, some of which folks are holding on to until quite late, but, you know, that's not my problem.

To be fair to the staff, they worked hard to get this remedied as quickly as they could, and I didn't have to wait too long.. they comped some soft drinks to say "thanks for waiting"... but.... nonetheless..

I had a two roomed suite and whilst the aircon worked to cool the air in the living room area, it worked to warm the air in the bedroom which, consequently, was uncomfortably hot when I came back from dinner.. I could not get the bedroom aircon to cool at all, so I turned it off in the bedroom, and the room never then cooled particularly to my liking..

The room itself was OK, but soon started to look a little sterile, with little in the way of decoration to lift the accents. I'm all for modern/clean, but this was a little too much, especially in the bedroom are.. The bedside table was broken, snapped and the unit above the bed was also damaged.

It was also poorly lit at night, not helped by the fact that at least two of the lamps in the rooms had blown or faulty bulbs, including one of the bed unit down lighters (one of only 3 lights in the bedroom itself, two reading down lighters and one table lamp). It was hard to read in bed because of the poor design of the lighting.

As for the bed itself.. Not Doubletree standard.. The beds here are certainly not the "SweetDreams" sleep experience touted by Doubletree (come to think of it.. where was my "sweet dreams" pillow?). They are, on the contrary, uncomfortably hard with only one flat pillow option (which I didn't get on with)..

I am used to (and was expecting) the comfortable beds and great pillows in US Doubletrees (for sale on the Doubletree web site.. $1750 each.. )

The "nice" buzz of the common areas soon became less welcoming when I had to negotiate around folks milling about outside the single revolving entry door.. and I found the layout meant the hotel a little busy even when there were not all that many folks around..

I didn't bother with breakfast (even though I was entitled to a free breakfast) as I was really just ready to get off by the time morning came around..

I suspect that the hotel isn't really the bad hotel that I seem to be painting a picture of, rather, I think, my problem with it is that I expected more of it (or, perhaps, for it to be different to what it actually is). It certainly failed to deliver on my expectations. I expected the Doubletree brand and values that I have experienced in the USA and so was disappointed when I did not get that.

I am a Hilton brands regular, stay with them by choice, but I would stay here again only if the hotel moves more towards the Hilton/Doubltree brand values and quality..

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Juninho_pp
Reviewed 23 July 2012

A fab hotel in a fab location! Looking for a modern place to chill out with friends after a shopping spree or a concert - doubletree by Hilton is a great hotel - clean, fresh, modern with service that is efficient. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joanne B

Thank you for your review and great catchy title.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.