“Nice Hotel...difficult to find!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #19 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here on business. If you don't know Manchester (and I don't) this Hotel was difficult to find. (Manchester City Council take note...more signs required) However the welcome by the staff at reception was very friendly. Room was excellent, clean and quiet. Breakfast was very good with a good choice. There is a car park just across the road which charges £9 for 24 hours...not too bad.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MichaelCornwall
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Great location next to Piccadilly Station but rooms well soundproofed. Very reasonable room prices for Saturday night and excellent service throughout. Particularly liked the complimentary warm cookies on arrival! Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
2  Thank Penelope L
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The hotel had the perfect location for us near the bars and restaurants.
First impression: wow... the atrium of the hotel is pretty impressive and the bar is very chic.
The prices at the bar are acceptable and I had a few beers in there.
The lifts to the rooms took no time at all and there was always one waiting or almost there.
The room was spacious although a bit more of storage space may be needed for longer stays.
It has an imac in the room and wifi is complimentary, which is a must in my hotels.
The bathroom was also well appointed and nice.
The view could have been better but there was a lot of light coming in from the tall windows.
The only issue we encountered was related to how they cleaned the room. It all seemed clean, no dust, clean sheets, clean bathroom (no hairs or anything like that) BUT well, accidentally we found a curious item under the bed. To a certain extent it was normal that it was not found during the cleaning of the room because it is round and it would probably roll around when pushed with the hoover, this said, finding a female vibrator (sex toy) under my bed was not a very welcome sight.
It was our last night in the hotel and when the following morning I informed the reception of our descovery they simply went "really? that is not normal! did you leave it in the room?" to which I said "of course I left it there, I am not taking that thing home with me! It is in the bin!"
No further comment was uttered... no excuses, no compensation, no anything, which is pretty unusual to the level of service I have always had at Hilton and Doubletree.
Me being an adult i did not care that much but, had I have a toddler with me in the room... hell would have fallen on these people heads.
As the girl said (I think she was so shocked she could not react), that is nor normal, and my experience at this hotel was very nice. I would certainly repeat and gladly recommend it

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dacarrr
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed in the hotel for two nights, bed and breakfast, and we were greeted by friendly staff (Curtis, I believe the man's name was) in the reception area who took our bags to our room and directed us to the underground car park. Car parking costs £17.50 for 24 hours, which is fairly steep, however I know the cost to be similar across Hilton hotels.

Our standard double room was clean, no complaints there. Bed was very comfy but you sank into the pillows and they took until the second night to get used to - not ideal. Breakfast was fine and the breakfast area/cutlery was clean.

When we were checking in the receptionist did not speak clear English and without explaining what it was, she did ask to take my debit card for a "pre-payment authorisation."
Since returning from my trip the payment for our stay and car parking charge was taken from my online bank account as expected.

HOWEVER, there was another pending transaction from the hotel totalling £40. Completely perplexed as to what the £40 charge was for, I contacted the hotel who put me through to the accounts department who then explained what it was.

If I had known that the pre-payment would deduct an additional £40 from my bank account seperate from the bill, then I would not have agreed to letting the receptionist take my debit card for this.

I've never had this issue with any other hotels before. The accounts department told me I would get the £40 back within the next 48 hours but overall that isn't good enough. It was my first stay in a Hilton hotel and it's certainly something to watch out for. Slightly put off by the whole thing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Great hotel with all the possible amenities close by. Everytime I stay over.. I fall in love with this place again. Great hotel with all the possible amenities close by. Everytime I stay over.. I fall in love with this place again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Thank Mirza Haseeb Ha... B
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Very impressed when we first arrived, with a speedy check in on a Friday night. There was a guitarist playing in the bar/restaurant area which made our minds up to go for dinner and drinks in there.
We were told of a deal for fish & chips and a beer which my other half opted for, making it a very good price and thought it would automatically be taken off (see below!)...
I ordered a cocktail from the waiter only to find 20 minutes later staff were chatting behind the bar and appeared to of forgotten about my drink. When the waiter clocked us glaring at him looking puzzled he must have remembered and came to tell us the drink wouldn't be long.... And there it was 60 seconds later!
So the bill came which we paid straight away but only to find a few moments later whilst checking it that the fish & chips deal hadn't taken. We told staff about it straight away but after a further 10 minutes of waiting were told there was nothing they could do without a manager and we're told to go to reception to sort it.
So we headed out for the night and went to reception the following day. Staff there seem puzzled as to how much they needed to refund us. It was finally sorted after waiting a further 15mins at reception.
When we woke the day we were checking out we found an itemised bill pushed through our door (although we had prepaid everything). We took this to reception to ask about and after much clicking on the computer by the receptionist were told it was for a room 3 doors away :s
...They're the not so good points which you may think seem petty but it affected our overall stay... Just remember to check your bills!
On the up side the room was very nice and clean and had quality furnishings including an Apple TV. The complimentary chilled water in the room and warm cookie at check in was also a nice welcoming touch. To add to this, the bathroom had complimentary toiletries and was spotlessly clean.
Overall the room was very nice and quiet even though the main road was 5 stories below.
I would stay there again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014

A wonderful stay in a place that quite successfully positions itself as a 'premier-plus' offering. A notable and significant improvement on something like a Premier Inn (very good in their own right), but sans any real noticeable hike in price.

The cookie on arrival is doubtless a nice touch; fortunately the cookie in question is also rather delicious! So much so that we were forced to take them up on their offer to replenish them - via their 'Careline' from our room - on at least one occasion.

The 4-star lobby is not let down the rooms themselves, which are surprisingly spacious, well-appointed (think Apple iMac 'TV', complementary mini-bar, water, hair-dryer, iron et al) and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was one of the nicest I have ever come across in a three to four four star establishment. You'd surely have to go to five star for any tangible improvement. And that extends to the Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries included for your pleasure. A really nice touch.

Breakfast in the otherwise dire 'City Cafe' was surprisingly decent; check out was quick, efficient and free of nasty surprises when it came to the bill. WiFi is free throughout the hotel.

In summary, a near-faultless experience only partially let-down by the dire 'City Cafe' restaurant adjoined to it.

Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: The higher up the better - to avoid noise from the central location near Piccadilly Station et al.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple