“Constantly Locked Out My Room”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #19 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Glasgow
“Constantly Locked Out My Room”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Second time staying here, but sadly probably my last time staying....

Checked in okay, no issues at all and then went upstairs to my room only to find that the keycard would not work, went back to reception who then gave me another keycard to my room and yet again this did not work.... Phoned reception from my floor and they said they would send someone up, after waiting 5 minutes outside my room, I asked a passing chambermaid to let me into my room, it was fully another 10 minutes before a maintenance guy appeared who then told me he had reset the lock and advised me to get a new keycard at reception later on....

Later on I picked up my keycard, I then went into the Piccadilly Bar for some food, I ordered the burger and chips, when it was brought out to me the burger was fine but the chips were hard and virtually inedible......

I later went out to my concert and when I returned late at night I went up to my room to find, yes you've guessed it my keycard did not work again, so once again I had to call reception who sent someone up quickly to let me in, and then they gave me a new keycard once again......

In the morning I had the buffet breakfast, which was okay, some of the produce was a bit bland to be honest.... But after breakfast I went up to my room to pack, it's not hard to guess what happened next, yes my key never worked one again.... Another call to reception for some one to let me into my room once again.....

I can accept being locked out my room once or maybe twice but four times is unacceptable, and something I would not expect from a Hilton Hotel... So in future when in Manchester I will be looking to stay elsewhere, despite the location of the Hotel, why stay somewhere when you can't get into your own room without receptions help...

Finally on noting another recent review with a similar issue i must advise my room was also on the 4th floor, maybe you should be changing that rooms lock.....

Room Tip: Make sure your keycard actually works, might be worth giving the 4th floor a miss....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Big_Jimbo_Mac,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your recent stay was less than satisfactory. I am sorry to hear that you had issues with accessing your room on several occassion during your stay.

I have sent you DM via TripAdvisor and I hope too hear from your shortly.

Claire Armitage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Spain
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Silent rooms, good wireless internet connection (quality may change depending on room location), many breakfast options, breakfast starting time appropriate for business, excellent hotel location for train connections from/to Manchester center, committed employees for a high quality services to grant a perfect stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Florenci C,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to hear that you stay with us was enjoyable and convenient for your trip. The location of the hotel is great for both business and leisure guests looking to travel in and around Manchester and further afield.

Your comments regarding the staff and the standard of service is great to hear and I will ensure this is communicated to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you once again to DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly.

East Kilbride, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Doubletree Hilton Manchester. It is just round the corner from Piccadilly train station, so if you are going by train it's very close.
I was on the 4th floor. The hotel has 3 lifts to all the floor so no long waits. But only 1 goes to the underground garage. As for the garage, it's very tight for space, so beware.
Great breakfast, very tasty.
I would prefer a bigger TV in the room, as the rooms have an Apple tv with computer. Not a fan of the Apple stuff.
The room i stayed in 418. Could do with a lick of paint, as there are a number of dirty marks on the walls.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are the same, but try and get one away from the tram line as the start early a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear BillyH,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased you had a pleasant stay with us and that you found the breakfast selection enjoyable and plentiful.

I have passed on your comments to the Property Team regarding the condition of your room. We take pride in the presentation of our bedrooms and look to rectify such issues immediately.
We hope you choose to return to DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly on your next visit to Manchester.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

IWe have just spent a great weekend away in Manchester for my 65th Birthday, we stayed in queen room at the hotel and had a super stay. The staff were exceptional, nothing was too much trouble, the standard of hospitality is very high. We enjoyed "afternoon tea with prosecco" i the City lounge on Sunday, very tasty indeed. The breakfast offers everything you could possibly want and if you want a drink in the bar the service is excellent too.
Seldom have we had such a pleasant stay, the hotel is clean and modern and although it is situated next to Piccadilly station there is absolutely no noise from outside. The central location makes a shopping expedition or a stroll a doddle, we even managed a ride on the Manchester eye, that was one of the HIGHlights of the trip. thanks Doubletree, we will be back. The prices are very reasonable and for a 5 star experience more than worth it.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room with a large window and a seating area, for the intimate experience.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Norrie,

Thank you sharing your recent visit to us on TripAdvisor.

We are thrilled to hear you had such a fantastic stay with us on your birthday stay. We shared your comments regarding breakast, afternoon tea and the service in the bar with Ricardo, our Restaurant and Bar manager who was pleased to hear the team delivered to such a high standard.

We agree the loctaion is pefect for seeing all the great attractions Manchester has to offer and the Manchester Eye is great for caturing a birds eye view of the city.

We look forward to welcoming you again this weekend - we hope you have a great stay.

Hereford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel in excellent location. Rooms modern and luxurious. Loved the Apple TV as I woke in the early hours and watched some TV on BBC i player!!! Great breakfast, really first rate, in the morning which helped soak up the hangover ! Ate with friends in the restaurant in the evening which was divine. My only tiny niggle was that housekeeping knocked on my door every 15 mins from about 10.30 in the morning when I was trying to relax before heading to the train station though I guess I should have just put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign up!!!! Otherwise an awesome stay!!! Thank you Doubletree!!!

• Stayed March 2014
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Trudy C,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to hear you had such a great stay with us! I have passed on your comments regarding breakfast and your evening meal to Michael, our Head Chef who was pleased to hear your feedback, particular of our new evening menu.

Our apologies for the disturbance in the morning from Housekeeping - our standard checkout time is 12pm and I have also passed this on to Anna, our Executive Head Housekeeper.

We are glad you had a great stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This was our third stay here and the second since Hilton took over the Mint Hotel. The hotel is modern and the rooms light and airy. Being greeted with a warm cookie at check in is a nice touch too, but what makes this hotel is its location close to Deansgate, Piccadilly Station and all sorts of great shops and restaurants and the quality of staff who are always helpful. The hotel's own restaurant is very good and there is a multi story with discounted parking 50 yards away.
I would always go for this hotel when I'm visiting Manchester.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear RobnS57,

Thank you for sharing such a great review on TripAdvisor.

Its great to hear that, as a return guest, we are still delivering to exceed expectations. We agree the location is great for both Piccadilly Station and all the great attractions Manchester has to offer.

I have also passed on your comments regarding the City Cafe and the standard of service of the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you again to Doubletree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly.

Arzier, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We booked a one night stay in a hotel which we've stayed in before. The rate booked was the room with breakfast rate, with room only not being available. Upon check in and going to the 4th floor our card key would not work (pet hate). The reception staff renewed the card key but sent one of the staff up just in case, which was a good thing as the lock mechanism was broken. As a result every time we left the room we needed one of the staff to walk back up to let us into our room. Despite the staff saying it would be fixed it was not. The rooms are good, a comfortable sleep and the Apple Mac doubling up as a TV and internet is a good idea - as is the chic cookie on arrival.
Breakfast was a real disappointment. The buffet breakfast by the time we arrived (7:30 on a Saturday - not too late) was almost empty with beans, mushrooms, hash browns and scrambled eggs all needing to be refilled. The staff seemed oblivious of the need to replenish the buffet, only springing into action when we twice pointed this out to them. It then took a while for it all to arrive. All in all for a one night stay not great and at the price they charge there are other hotels (Midland, Rad, Malmaison………) which will get my business next time

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DNB1973
Dear DNB1973,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences with Tripadvisor. The feedback provided is invaluable in ensuring we can closely monitor the service we provide.

I have sent you DM so you can contact me directly regarding the issues you experienced and I look forward to your response.

We all genuinely look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.