“Great location and a good hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great location and a good hotel”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was my 3rd stay at this hotel and it was once again of a high standard. I stayed in a twin room on the second floor with my 9 year old daughter as we were in Manchester to see One Direction at Etihad stadium. If staying here for an event at Etihad be aware that it is a good 30 minute walk to the station from the hotel.

The hotel is just across the road from Manchester Piccadilly train station, less than a 3 minute walk once out of the station. Reception is quick and efficient and the staff are very welcoming, you even get a warm cookie each on arrival.....yum! The rooms are clean and decorated to a high standard, each has a iMac which doubles up as your TV. There is a fridge in the room and the free wifi is good, I had no problems connecting to it. The bathroom was spotless and well stocked with Crabtree & Evelyn Citron toiletries. The bed was comfortable and I had a reasonable sleep (I don't sleep well when I'm away from home).

We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel as it was £10 each, which seemed a bit pricey. Instead we went to a Wetherspoons (around a 5 minute walk towards the city centre) and had breakfast there for less than £9 for us both.

As I had already pre-paid the room I used the express check out which was very easy. Basically you drop your room keys into a box near reception.

This is a good hotel and I would recommend it to my friends and family. If you can get a high room at the front of the hotel then the views are pretty good.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room, the views are much better 😃
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
JackAppleton, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for such a great review.

We all look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again soon!

Jack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stayed here with my daughter overnight and loved our stay from the minute we arrived. Checking in was lovely, especially the large, warm chocolate cookie! I upgraded our room to a higher level and corner and so had a lovely view from the 9th floor. The room was very clean and modern, my daughter was very impressed with the iMac tv! Breakfast was excellent.
All staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for such a great review.

I am pleased to read and share with the team that you had an enjoyable visit and enjoyed the cookies!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

London
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Clean rooms with free internet and an empty fridge for you to use which is great if you are there for a few days and have any food allergies. Also offered fruit instead of cookie when I said I could not eat wheat. Staff all very nice. No baths only showers.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for such a great 5* review.

We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Once again another great stay in this hotel, good nights sleep in comfortable bed, great welcome and speedy checkin as always, close to everything we needed in manchester first time we have had breakfast and was very nice with good service

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review with Tripadvisor. As a returning guest it is great to read you had such a great experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This place has some strong positives. The rooms are clean and modern, especially the bathroom; a desktop computer in your room is a great idea (and I'm glad they chose iMacs); the bed was very comfortable; the staff are uniformly friendly and try to be helpful; and the food and service in the restaurant is excellent. You can print your boarding passes using the iMac in your room and they'll either hold the copies at the front desk or bring them up to your room. (The written material in the room said they charge for this service, but they do not.) The warm cookies upon check-in are a nice touch. The rooms are quiet.

But there are some problems. After I checked in, my wife and I drove around to the garage. The key cards we had been given did not work to open the garage gate. You can buzz reception, so I did and was asked to hold up the cards in front of the camera. When I did so, the staff person said that there should have been a number on one of the cards. So he opened the gate remotely for us. Later, I went to reception and mentioned the difficulty. I asked whether I would have trouble leaving the garage the next morning after we checked out. One of the staff members wrote a "9" on one of the cards. This seemed odd, but whatever. The next morning at check-out, I again asked about the gate. The employee took our key cards and said he'd open the gate for us. Of course, when we tried to leave the garage, the gate was closed. There is a telephone you can use, but no info on how to contact reception. My wife guessed correctly, pushing the phone icon and zero, and reception opened the gate. But the wrong one, so we ended up driving out of the garage in the wrong lane. What the hell? How can this series of events happen at a place like this?

Here's another odd thing. As I mentioned, the bed was extremely comfortable. But it was a queen size bed with a king size frame. So the small night tables, which are attached to the frame, were too far away from the bed. And on one side, there was no outlet.

So we liked the hotel, but there are some issues that they need to deal with.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Midwood,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to learn you experienced some issues during your stay - I have shared these with the senior team on property to ensure follow up.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Friesenheim, Germany
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was welcomed very pleasantly by the reception staff. My room had a slightly strange smell, and it overlooked a derelict building and pretty horrible looking canal. The air conditioning didn't do a lot to change the stuffy air in the room. However, the TV is an Apple thing which doubles up as a computer and WiFi is free! The bed was very comfy and I slept like a log.
Breakfast really is great: loose leaf tea - they even have green Jasmine - , fluffy scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, different breads, etc. The hotel is centrally located, but that awful derelict building opposite really is an eyesore!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor.

I am sincerely sorry you experienced some issues with the room standard and the view. I trust this will not deter you from choosing to stay with us again in the future.

Noerresundby, Denmark
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed at DoubleTree by Hilton in Manchester with my friend for four nights.
The staff was very friendly and from the time I arrived to the time I left I felt very welcome. They were very accommodating regarding my wishes about an early check-in and a late check-out.
The room was clean and nicely decorated.
There’s a small fridge in the room, which I think is a very big plus. You also have a big range of channels to choose from and free WIFI. You get fresh supplies of water, tea and instant coffee every day as well.
There’s always someone in the reception and they were very helpful and happy to answer any questions.

One minus is the bar/lounge. We went there three times. You have to have patience because it’s takes some time for them to see to you. First time we didn’t wait too long but still a little while, but the second time we waited thirty minutes before we had enough and left (the bartender had seen us, he even told us to sit down he just never come, despite him looking in our direction many times). Third time was a success.

We had breakfast on our last day and it was really good. There are a lot to choose from, especially if you’re into English breakfast. We also tried room service once which was a great success. It was easy to order and the food was served within the amount of time they promised and it was tasty. One tip though: The sandwiches are quite big and come with chips, so never think you might be able to eat two sandwiches (we thought we could eat two each and had food for the rest of the day).

The location is really good. It’s next to Piccadilly Station and only a few minutes’ walk away from the central bus station where there’re connection to the rest of England as well as a great part of Europe.
The shopping streets and restaurants are within walking distance too (about 10 minutes walk, I’d say).
Old Trafford is about 5-6 km away and Etihad Stadium about 3-4 km. My friend and I walked to both places. We didn’t have the need of public transport at all because everything was in such a close distance.

Over all we had a really great time, and if we come back to Manchester we will definitely consider staying at DoubleTree by Hilton again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear aprilialarsen,

Thank you for sharing your comprehensive review with Tripadvisor. I was disappointed to read of the service you experienced at Piccadilly Lounge. I have shared this with our senior food and beverage teams.

We all genuinely do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Kind regards,