“doubletree hilton”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #18 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Once again another great stay in this hotel, good nights sleep in comfortable bed, great welcome and speedy checkin as always, close to everything we needed in manchester first time we have had breakfast and was very nice with good service

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
JackAppleton, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review with Tripadvisor. As a returning guest it is great to read you had such a great experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This place has some strong positives. The rooms are clean and modern, especially the bathroom; a desktop computer in your room is a great idea (and I'm glad they chose iMacs); the bed was very comfortable; the staff are uniformly friendly and try to be helpful; and the food and service in the restaurant is excellent. You can print your boarding passes using the iMac in your room and they'll either hold the copies at the front desk or bring them up to your room. (The written material in the room said they charge for this service, but they do not.) The warm cookies upon check-in are a nice touch. The rooms are quiet.

But there are some problems. After I checked in, my wife and I drove around to the garage. The key cards we had been given did not work to open the garage gate. You can buzz reception, so I did and was asked to hold up the cards in front of the camera. When I did so, the staff person said that there should have been a number on one of the cards. So he opened the gate remotely for us. Later, I went to reception and mentioned the difficulty. I asked whether I would have trouble leaving the garage the next morning after we checked out. One of the staff members wrote a "9" on one of the cards. This seemed odd, but whatever. The next morning at check-out, I again asked about the gate. The employee took our key cards and said he'd open the gate for us. Of course, when we tried to leave the garage, the gate was closed. There is a telephone you can use, but no info on how to contact reception. My wife guessed correctly, pushing the phone icon and zero, and reception opened the gate. But the wrong one, so we ended up driving out of the garage in the wrong lane. What the hell? How can this series of events happen at a place like this?

Here's another odd thing. As I mentioned, the bed was extremely comfortable. But it was a queen size bed with a king size frame. So the small night tables, which are attached to the frame, were too far away from the bed. And on one side, there was no outlet.

So we liked the hotel, but there are some issues that they need to deal with.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Midwood,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to learn you experienced some issues during your stay - I have shared these with the senior team on property to ensure follow up.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was welcomed very pleasantly by the reception staff. My room had a slightly strange smell, and it overlooked a derelict building and pretty horrible looking canal. The air conditioning didn't do a lot to change the stuffy air in the room. However, the TV is an Apple thing which doubles up as a computer and WiFi is free! The bed was very comfy and I slept like a log.
Breakfast really is great: loose leaf tea - they even have green Jasmine - , fluffy scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, different breads, etc. The hotel is centrally located, but that awful derelict building opposite really is an eyesore!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
JackAppleton, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor.

I am sincerely sorry you experienced some issues with the room standard and the view. I trust this will not deter you from choosing to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed at DoubleTree by Hilton in Manchester with my friend for four nights.
The staff was very friendly and from the time I arrived to the time I left I felt very welcome. They were very accommodating regarding my wishes about an early check-in and a late check-out.
The room was clean and nicely decorated.
There’s a small fridge in the room, which I think is a very big plus. You also have a big range of channels to choose from and free WIFI. You get fresh supplies of water, tea and instant coffee every day as well.
There’s always someone in the reception and they were very helpful and happy to answer any questions.

One minus is the bar/lounge. We went there three times. You have to have patience because it’s takes some time for them to see to you. First time we didn’t wait too long but still a little while, but the second time we waited thirty minutes before we had enough and left (the bartender had seen us, he even told us to sit down he just never come, despite him looking in our direction many times). Third time was a success.

We had breakfast on our last day and it was really good. There are a lot to choose from, especially if you’re into English breakfast. We also tried room service once which was a great success. It was easy to order and the food was served within the amount of time they promised and it was tasty. One tip though: The sandwiches are quite big and come with chips, so never think you might be able to eat two sandwiches (we thought we could eat two each and had food for the rest of the day).

The location is really good. It’s next to Piccadilly Station and only a few minutes’ walk away from the central bus station where there’re connection to the rest of England as well as a great part of Europe.
The shopping streets and restaurants are within walking distance too (about 10 minutes walk, I’d say).
Old Trafford is about 5-6 km away and Etihad Stadium about 3-4 km. My friend and I walked to both places. We didn’t have the need of public transport at all because everything was in such a close distance.

Over all we had a really great time, and if we come back to Manchester we will definitely consider staying at DoubleTree by Hilton again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear aprilialarsen,

Thank you for sharing your comprehensive review with Tripadvisor. I was disappointed to read of the service you experienced at Piccadilly Lounge. I have shared this with our senior food and beverage teams.

We all genuinely do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Only stayed for one night but was very impressed with almost everything about this hotel, from the warm cookie on check in to the ease of the express check out. Good selection of meals for room service, although I wasn't too hungry so just ordered a sandwich which arrived quickly. Spacious bathroom with lovely toiletries (although no shampoo, only conditioner - as I'd taken my own I didn't raise it with housekeeping) and well laundered towels. Temperature in the room was easy to control, there was plenty of lighting and storage. Apple TV is a great touch, with internet access via the mac which meant I was able to catch up with a TV series on BBC iPlayer and watch it on a bigger screen than my iPad! Only small niggle was that I asked for tea with my breakfast but it never arrived, and by the time I'd finished eating I had to shoot off to the office so I couldn't wait any longer. The staff were so busy they didn't have time to check if all was OK, which would have been my opportunity to ask for my tea. As I say, a small niggle and it wouldn't stop me from staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. Great to read you had such an enjoyable stay.

I am so sorry for the mix up with breakfast tea, I have shared your feedback with our Breakfast Manager.

We all do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Arrived evening time, wasn't waiting to get booked in straight in and too my room. The rooms are comfortable and clean, with their own heating and air con system, the room service was fast and efficient and of good quality although there is a 4 pound charge for this service. The breakfast was nice and not restrictive like in some other hotels. I will be using the doubletree again in the future

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your experience.

So great to read and share you had an enjoyable visit. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

LOVED THIS PLACE! From the minute we walked through the revolving door I knew this was going to be perfect. Check in was prompt and swift with the lovely Jordan. Our room was ready early which made our lives so much easier, we were able to take our luggage to our room and unpack before going for lunch in the city. The very delicious and yummy scrummy warm cookie given at check in was to die for and a lovely little added bonus.
The room was exceptionally clean, bright, airy and fresh. Linen was crisp and the bathroom spotless. Toiletries were Crabtree & Evelyn Citron. Safe and fridge provided necessary security and refrigeration for necessary supplies. Two bottles of water are included in the room rate. Iron, hairdryer and imac were as standard in the room also. As was free wifi which was invaluable as I had to work over the course of our stay
The bed and pillows were the best I have ever slept on in a hotel and while it took me forever to get to sleep (too much caffeine) it was certainly restful and comfortable.
Breakfast was buffet style, ample choice and service was prompt, pleasant and with a bright and breezy smile.
Checkout also a doddle. As we were spending some time in the city prior to returning home on the train the hotel very kindly agreed to look after our luggage for us. Another brownie point for this wonderful hotel
Would I stay again - absolutely. It was worth every penny, the staff were ready and willing to help at any opportunity and the bed and pillows make it a definite differentiator amongst its competitors (as well as the cookie)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you and wow!

Such great feedback is inspiring to read and share with the team, in particular Jordan on the Front Desk!

We are so pleased you had such a great visit, please contact me directly, Jack.Appleton@hilton.com the next time you plan to stay in Manchester!