“Good location, but needs some work to be up to a HILTON standard”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #19 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Hong Kong, China
“Good location, but needs some work to be up to a HILTON standard”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

It's an ideal location. Literally outside the train station, you cannot ask for more. It's great that you get a warm cookie at check in. The rooms are not massive, though as a business traveller I was fine. You get a mac in your room to use which is a nice touch for an upscale hotel.

however the restaurant is pretty bad - but I guess it's saved by the fact that the location is so great that you can walk to a ton of great restaurants not just in the train station but around Picadilly itself.

Not far away from the business area of Manchester (bury new road). It's also close to deansgate and arnedale which are 2 places you will probably want to visit in Manchester.

There are small things that don't make this feel like a part of Hilton Group. Small issues on the bill, poor service from the restaurant, small rooms, slow elevators - so I guess it's not really value for money. Nevertheless, for business it's ok - but I could probably get a much better hotel at the same price.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear DiniTharani,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear the loctaion of the hotel and its amenitites we comfortable and convenient for your stay.

In regards to your restaurant experience, I have emailed you direct with contact details for the Management Team who will be happy to have your feedback.

We hope you decide to stay with us again in the future on your next visit to Manchester

Claire Armitage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I booked four rooms for a Saturday night for 7 guys on a stag party in April. I chose this hotel because of its excellent location by the train station and the rate seemed reasonable.

The rooms and facilities were fine. When we first checked in, we were told that we could not be given twin rooms, despite my calling three times prior to that weekend to request twin rooms. The promise I was given meant nothing at check in.

To be fair, by the time the late arrivals checked in, we were given twin rooms after repeated requests were made.

The main problem came the week after we have checked out. All four rooms were charged twice. Every single credit card given were charged twice and if not for a bit of vigilance, this would have gone unnoticed.

Each one of us then had to contact the hotel to chase for a refund. There were neither proper explanations or apologies to what we considered to be fraudulent billing! We got our refunds but I will think twice about staying there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear CYuenUK,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to hear that there were issues during your recent stay with us as regards to your billing. I have sent you a DM so we can help resolve this for you.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Essex, UK
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff but small room and wifi in the room and restaurant is dreadful. I did mention it at reception and whilst pleasant I got the impression this was the norm. I am a HH member and whilst the room is very warm and not on the HH floor it's not quite what I'd expected from a hilton. It seems a little up on a travel lodge but as I say not the a Hilton brand I normally say in hence the average rating. Only 1 more night left not sure I'd rush back! Sorry Hilton Doubletree!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DawesFamily
Dear DawesFamily,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I apologies for the difficulties you had with the Wi-Fi in both your room and public areas. We do check the connections regularly and reboot the routers when needed. I am sorry that in this case we were unable to reassure you that this is not something which we are unable to rectify.

In regards to HH members, we will try our best to allocate you a room on one of our HH floors but this is always subject to availability during your stay.

I have emailed you directly so if there is anything else I can assist with, please do not hesitate to contact me further.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms with a great location. Excellent breakfast which is paid at check in is extremely great value. Love the computers in the rooms. I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends & family.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Anthony G,

Thank your for sharing your recent review with us on TripAdvisor.

It is great to hear you had such a positive experience at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly and that you were able to take advantage of our breakfast offer at check in.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Great service from the staff- felt valued. The room was great and perfect for my stay- clean and comfortable. The room service was efficient and quality of food was good. An overall good experience and as a Hilton member , I enjoyed the additional benefits during my stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Francis M,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

It is great to hear as a loyal HH member you were able to enjoy the additional benefits during your stay. I have passed on your comment regarding the standards of the rooms to Anna, our Execuitive Head Housekeeper and to Ricardo, our Restaurant and Bars Manager regarding your room seervice experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel was a three minute walk from Manchester Picadilly and a 5 minute walk from the city centre, yet on a really quiet, safe street. The bedrooms are spotlessly clean and really comfortable. However the doors allow noise in from the corridor, which can be a problem at night. Beautiful breakfast. Staff VERY helpful. You will like it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Sile O,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience on TripAdvisor.

It is great to hear you found the location of the hotel ideal for your recent stay with us and the staff very helpful in dealing with your requests. We apologise for the noise disturbance and hope this did not affect your overall experience with us.

I have passed on your comments to Anna, our Executive Head HouseKeeper regarding the cleanliness of your room. Anna and the team work very hard to ensure such high standards.

We look forward to welcoming you again when you next visit Manchester.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Great hotel in an ideal location for Manchester Piccadilly train station. Very helpful staff, happy to book taxis for us. Warm cookies on arrival is always a nice touch! Room was very clean and quiet even though there was construction work going on across the street.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Eilidh M,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay on TripAdvisor.

It is great to hear you found the location of the hotel perfect for your stay with us and that the team were helpful in accommodating your requests.

We are also pleased you enjoyed our DoubleTree Cookies!

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.