“Just a shame about check in”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #19 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Booked this hotel for a one night stay for my partners 30th birthday as a surprise, requested an early check in but didn't get it, wasn't that bothered really as they said the room would be ready in a hour so we left our luggage and came back. Returned in an hour to be told our room still wasn't ready and that it would be 30 minutes, ok I said, we waited in the bar and bought a drink and then get told we could check in. When I did go back to the reception to check in they checked me in under the wrong name and tried charging me more than the original price I was told, after this was sorted and I got my room card I was told the room would be another 10 minutes and if we would wait in the bar again and they would come to collect us, getting a bit fed up at this point. Finally got in the room at 4 o clock, apart from this it was a lovely stay and lovely hotel, just a bit of a shame about the mess up at check in and all the twoing and frowing!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear shereeallen83,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly.

We are pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that there were some issues with the check in process causing delay to your night. I have shared your comments with the Front Office Team and re-training has taken place in light of this.

Once again, apologises for the issues and I hope you decided to return to us in the near future.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is the second time my wife and I have stopped here room 344 has great view of city life, the room was fab and it had everything you need even an apple pc which is also a tv, @ check in we were given free cookies, parking is under the hotel and is £17,50 or you could park at the npc round the corner for £3.70/day but you have to check in before 8.30am. location it's across the road from piccadilly train station, if you are visiting canal st and all the bars in the village it's a 2 min walk all the main shops are no more than a 5 min walk it's about 6 min from chinatown and all its restaurants, Alchemist is a great place to drink and eat it on New York st about 8 min walk from hotel. I have stopped in many hotels in Manchester and this is a fantastic one.

Room Tip: a seating area in the window room 344
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Gary2822013,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us such a fantastic review of your stay on TripAdvisor!

We are delighted to hear so many postive aspects to your stay such as the location to all the best attactions in Manchester, the in-room amenities and not forgetting our famous DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookies on check in!

We look forward to welcoming you both again in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a 2nd time this year on sun 24th aug for one night. Staff are very polite and attentive. We couldn't check in till 3.30pm though which was disappointing as check in is 3pm.
Room was clean and had a complimentary mini bar & robes and slippers as was in a king executive suite. No newspaper though as advertised. Breakfast was in with the deal- much recommended, loads of choice and yummy! Will definitely come back to this hotel when visiting manchester as it is centrally located and next door to the train station.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Melanie20132,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear you had another great stay with us and that you will be returning next year!

I am sorry to hear you were not able to check in when you arrived at 15:30. Having had a very busy checkout on the Sunday we were unable to have all the rooms ready for our guaranteed arrival time.

We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and made use of the upgraded amenities in your King Executive room.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

booked via hhonors direct to stay Sunday 24th August 1 night for 2 of us visiting pride.

Went to reception where we had a short wait to check in which was not a problem. Went through check in process no problems. However asked the staff member checking us in what time piccadilly lounge served food until and she responded with 'i think its serving now' that was not the question, it was midday and we were enquiring as we wanted food after pride event.

Anyway we went to the room (703) only to discover we were overlooking a building site (no mention of this work on website when we booked or would have stayed elsewhere). As a hhonors member Who uses hilton for all trips I expect bettet
Room was clean but cleaning staff had left a label on the duvet it said 'king duvet striped'.
Also hot tap in the bathroom did not work only gave out cold water.
The television signal was also dodgy on 4-5 channels.

Later on our way out we asked piccadilly lounge about food serving time to which he replied lunch is now, again I did not ask this I asked about time serving til. I asked if we should make a booking for late evening for 2 of us to eat he said no need to book. We returned for food at 7.30pm to find no tables, so we sat on lounge chairs looking at menu, nobody greeted us or asked if we were ok. I wandered around looking for a table even though there was none at this point a staff member spoke to me and he pointed out a high table with one seat, not exactly suitable but as we had 50% off voucher we took it. We ordered but food took 50mins for 2burgers, they also left my burger on side in full view for 5mins then took it to wrong table. After finishing food our plates were not cleared and we werent asked if we wanted dessert. I had to ask for the bill, at which point the waiter handed the bill and remained stood at the table which is rude watching over us as we got money out. Nobody said thanks/bye as we left.

Back to the room, where I struggled to sleep pillows very thin, children running and shouting and at 1am doors slamming. And then i was woken by the building work on a bank holiday!!

We didnt have breakfast after the day before poor service. Went to check out and was asked for credit card even though we had given details day before! We were not asked how I stay was or I would have told them my thoughts in person as I really was not happy handing over £99 for that nights stay. Could have had a better nights sleep and better service for less elsewhere.

Wont be paying to go back. You pay for location.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank aussie_dreams2011
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival the hotel looked lovely and although busy the service was really good and polite, also the warm cookie given at check in was a nice surprise. The room was spacious and had all the facilities required, plugs by mirrors on the desk/ dressing table so able to do hair in comfort (you'd be surprised at how many hotels fall down on this). Service in the bar was also prompt and pleasant and a lovely setting. At breakfast the only eggs available were scrambled, when I had collected my self serve cooked breakfast I asked if I could have a poached egg. The reply was yes, but it would take 15 minutes!! It would have been appreciated if this was advised upon seating, so did out a slight dampened on the breakfast. At least ill know for next time as would still definitely stay again

• Stayed: August 2014
Claire A, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear Lisa D,

We are delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us recently. It is great to hear such compliments regarding the service delivered to you by the team especially in the Piccadilly Lounge.

I apologise for the confusion at breakfast regarding the eggs to order. I have shared your comments with Ricardo, Restaurant and Bars Manager, who will see that the team are retrained on this immediately.

We do hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Most of the staff were very helpful. I have an allergy to feather duvet and pillows. I called reception explained my dilemma and 5mins later it was all changed, apoligised for any inconvenience caused to me. Hows that for service! Would I stay there again? Ofcourse I would. What ever you are doing keep it up.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Thank M. Jane R

Dear M. Jane R,

Thank you for sharing your recent review of your stay with on TripAdvisor.

It is great to hear the team were able to deal with your request quickly and efficiently to Make it Right for you.

We are thrilled to here that you will return to us on your next stay - we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here for unfortunately only one night ( manchester vs chelsea )
Close by Old Trafford and shops are near by!
Always love the fresh cookies you get when checking in, friendly staff.
Nice and simple rooms as I'm used to in all doubletree hotels. Free wifi and the gym was good!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank anna r

Dear anna r,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us on TripAdvisor.

As a regular cusotmer of the DoubleTree by Hilton brand, it is great to hear Manchester Piccadilly did not disappoint! We agree the location of the hotel is great for travelling to and from the football as well as the main city centre shopping district.

Glad you you enjoyed your welcome DoubleTree Cookie on arrival - they are a great treat to have after a long journey here!

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.