“Great Service - Great Staff - Great Hotel = Well worth trying!!!!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #19 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I stayed at this hotel at the weekend - 16th Jan for one night ( best night i've had for a long time!!! ) We booked the room in advance,so it was a bargin - well worth it. Located just minutes away from Piccadilly train station and less then 5 minutes from the main shops - Nightlife a little further, but you can always get a taxi from Guest services at the hotel. Check In was fast, all Information was correct and the staff was very helpful and polite, the young recepectionist informed us about what the hotel had to offer and even asked us would we like help with the luggage. The reception area is very modern and stylish. Our room was on the 9th floor which was also very modern, stylish and most of all very clean ( i could have eatern my next meal of the bathroom floor - it was that clean ) I was very impressed with all the mod-cons in the room - Imac with free internet, safe, mini bar and a great power shower with hot water - but you had to find the temp control first. The bed was so comfortable i could have easy stayed in all night with my girlfriend but we had place's to go to...The restaurant was very busy and i can see why from the stunning food that was being served, so we dined out and then hit the nightlife of Manchester - Some great places, arrived back at the hotel about 02.30am and had a drink in the bar, the cocktails were fab - served by great staff who must work long hours and care about there guests. Once in bed i heard nothing - woke up about 9ish and went for breakfast and what a breakfast, the restaurant was very busy, but it's only what you can expect being the number 1 hotel. Very little wait we both had but it was a divine breakfast. Check out was also quick and my billing was all correct as well. We left our luggage with guest services till 6pm until it was time to leave a great city and hotel. It was a great experience and will be returning back without a doubt. Great Hotel, a credit to Manchester and the owners.

Reviewed 19 January 2010

After seeing the generally favourable reviews on this site I stayed here for two nights over a January weekend and can advise middle-aged or older travellers to avoid a similar mistake. At check-in an attempt was made to downgrade my Hotels.com B&B booking to Room Only. An innocent mistake perhaps but this conduct has been noted by other reviewers. Make sure your confirmation print-out has the words Full Breakfast on it and take it with you. The first night I woke up in the small hours sweating under the hot duvet. Fiddling with the room heating controls didn’t appear to make much difference. If you open the ventilation window, noise from the busy streets and trams seems amplified at that time of night. The trams run all night. The bed, I realised belatedly, was far too hard. I couldn’t get comfortable. In the semi-darkness the distorted reflections of multicoloured light from an enormous neon advertising screen across the street played over the bedroom wall because the curtains of the large main window didn’t block it. To get any sleep in these circumstances medication, ear plugs and a face mask would have been useful. To partially recover flagging spirits a powerful hot shower can be magic but you won’t get one. If you increase the temperature the water flow rate drops off like a cheap electric domestic shower. To my mind these are the basic facilities of a hotel and unfortunately every single one of them fails here. Apparently every bed in the hotel is identical. There were two alternative rooms, a bigger one dead opposite the neon sign (with inadequate window curtains) and one at the back directly above the tramlines (with a faulty window catch). I ended up in another room trying to sleep on a duvet under a sheet and blanket (obtained by reception from another hotel) with my coat and towelling robe on top. Reception staff generally had a helpful manner but if their other hotels are fitted to the same brief I would say to people who value a good night’s sleep, avoid this company. By the way, a computer terminal in the room with full online connectivity is a good idea but why on earth is it an Imac? Over 90% of PC users are on Windows so why force them to cope with an unfamiliar operating system, no offence intended to Mac people. And breakfast? I had it at the crack of dawn in a virtually empty room on both occasions so at least I didn’t have to queue. It was ok though nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Doormant
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I have stayed in this hotel on a number of occassions & have to say this is the best hotel in Manchester. The rooms are very clean & tidy & the bathrooms are spotless. The breakfast is excellent but what makes the City Inn is the staff who are always polite, helpful & friendly especially the Manager Graham. I would recommend this hotel to all ages. the location is ideal for the city centre & the train station so you save on taxi fares.

Reviewed 18 January 2010

We stayed at the City Inn for 2 nights over a weekend. Location is good, hotel is at the bottom of the road as you come out of Piccadilly Station. Check in was quick and efficient, our room and bathroom were a good size; light, airy and very comfortable and modern. Free internet and keyboard were a bonus. Breakfast was served from 08.30-11.00 but a letter left in our room recommended we go down before 09.30 early to avoid queuing due to large numbers staying at the hotel. Restaurant was really nice. Breakfast was the nicest I've had in a hotel and the waitress was friendly and helpful. We went for breakfast at 9ish and were seated immediately but noticed at 10 there was a queu. Friday night was quiet but Saturday night was a bit noisy with doors slamming and music / shouting coming from inside the hotel and the street outside. This hotel is in a great location with modern, clean facilities and good sized rooms. The staff are excellent - helpful and friendly. The location inevitably means that the hotel attracts people who are coming to Manchester for a night out and this means the hotel is noisy at 4 or 5am when the clubs close. A good hotel in a central location but be prepared for noise / disturbance if staying over a weekend.

Reviewed 17 January 2010

Really nice hotel. Room was clean and modern and the I mac was a great idea. Good staff and very knowledgeable.
Two complaints that meant it didn't get five stars:
Showers: became cold for about ten minutes and when i phoned reception, they said it is a problem with the hotel.
Breakfast: we had a note in our room that it would be busy after 9.30, but we came downstairs at 10 to people everywhere. It was a 30 min wait to actually get into the breakfast room. Seemed very chaotic for such a large hotel.

Reviewed 15 January 2010

I travel to Manchester quite frequently for work and I always try to stay at the City Inn. The rooms are modern, clean and spacious. There is free broadband access and each room comes equipped with an iMac where you can watch TV (with Sky) or a DVD or just surf the net. The staff are always very professional, helpful and have the right mix of excellent customer service without being sycophantic. The food is usually great and the Blue bar always has a nice atmosphere, although it's sometimes nice to get out of the hotel when you've been in meetings all day. The location is great for Piccadilly station and most of the centre of Manchester. I've also stayed here for pleasure rather than buisiness and still found it to be a great experience. The only minor, and it is very minor, niggle is that the fitness room is pretty small and basic but is still sufficient for a reasonable workout. I really would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2010

I stayed in the Manchester City Inn for the weekend with my boyfriend while we visited friends. As a young couple we have stayed at other 4 and 5 star hotels and I felt as if the staff turned their noses up at us - despite being young professionals. At the City Inn, however, I could not have falted the staff at all. They were so friendly and always chatting with us, always happy to help. The hotel was lovely - 2 minutes from train station and really near town. Our room was lovely - I loved the imac tv and internet. Other reviews said they hated this but I am not very technical and could work it all easily so I think these reviews must be from people with little (/no) computer experience. Big comfy bed, nice and clean. Breakfast was lovely - full of variety. I really couldn't fault the place.