“Brilliant, stylish, friendly, central, great breakfast.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly
Ranked #19 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Thanks to Trip Advisor reviews I booked a night in the City Inn for a birthday celebration after going to Cirque du Soleil.
We were not disappointed, what a great hotel, so stylish but with a friendly intimate feel. Our room was on the 9th floor so a good view of the city. A big bed, the cleanest, sparkliest bathroom ever with a lovely power shower with lots of hot water. The electronic gadgets and gizmos would suit if staying longer and nice to be able to borrow DVD's and CD's from guest services.
We did not use the bars as we had other plans. Breakfast was great we sat and had a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice whilst waiting for a table and although busy we were not rushed or made to feel that we could not appreciate the food. Our waitress Andrea was extremely friendly and even got us a city centre map when we mentioned we needed one. The food was cooked to order, no cold buffet eggs, Loseley yoghourts creamy and so 'bad', delicious smoked salmon and eggs benedict. All we needed when we left was 'a waffer thin mint'.
Thanks City Inn and your happy, friendly staff, for a brilliant night, you certainly deserve your #1 status, we will be back

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank tomsgranny
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Manchester Piccadilly

Reviewed 16 March 2010

Fantastic Hotel stayed for 1 night can't complain about anything the hotel staff were good everything you would want from a top hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Just returned from a 2 night break and have to say overall, the experience was great. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Accommodation very clean and modern. Imac in room a bonus with free internet access.

Breakfast very good .... cinnamon toast with wild berries mmmmmm (and the berries actually tasted like berries should!)

Great location, near Picadilly station, bus station, shops etc.
Only negatives are on arrival, my rooms were not booked correctly. I had specifically booked an interconnecting room 1 x dbl and 1 x twin and when I checked in I was told I had 2 separate rooms across the corridor from one another. After a while, an interconnecting room was made available to us both dbl rooms. Also, matresses could be more comfortable i.m.o.

Apart from this, everything else great in the hotel

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2010

Spent 3 nights here with my partner and we both agree that this hotel is an excellent choice. The staff were professional, polite and friendly; the rooms were clean, well presented and had the free use of an iMac with free internet. We couldn't eject a disc from the iMac as the instruction booklet suggested, so we made a call to reception and within a few minutes a competent member of staff sorted out the problem. The hotel is modern and is situated in an excellent location for central Manchester and is 2 minutes walk from the main train station which has links to the airport. I love my cocktails and this place can produce, didnt have to leave my chair the staff were excellent, engaging and aware. Some people will say the rooms may be a little small, I would say so what? They aren't that much smaller. The hotel was quiet, the view interesting looking down on central Manchester. The food was expensive as any hotel is but it was well presented and I enjoyed every bite, there are hundreds of restaurants and many places to get a cheap breakfast within walking distance not to mention pubs, clubs and bars. Room service was swift and delivered a well presented, warm, filling meal. If you go there with your other half be prepared for the shopping experience..you have been warned. Ok my only negative point is that the double room was two single beds pushed together and dressed as a double bed. Oh and the revolving automated door starts turning quick as you approach it, I walked into the thing twice, but that could have been down to the cocktails. I found the hotel positive, polite, friendly, clean and ideal for any couple of any age. Would I return? Yes.Would I be willing to tackle that revolving door again eeerm Yep..the cocktails are to blame and I am a glutton for punishment.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We stayed in the City Inn on Friday and Saturday night. The check in/out was fast and efficient. The room was large, modern and most importantly clean. The ensuite was average size but was really clean and modern, it had the best shower in any hotel I have ever stayed in, the room appears to be brand new or else newly refurbished so were impressed with the room. We did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment on food. On Saturday night we had a late night drink in the hotel bar, the staff there were pleasant and found us a seat and brought the drinks to our table so no queuing after a night out on the town. The location is excellent, close to shops, train and bus station and just a short walk to Canal Street for a lively night out or the city centre pubs. It was surpisingly quiet for such a central location and had no problems with traffic or nightlife noise. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel both for location and the fantasic rooms.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2010

This is always my first choice if i'm in Manchester and the City Inn never fails to impress.

This time i got a good deal for the room upgrade and although you didn't get a huge amount more, it was nice to get a little more space and better view.

Staff are so friendly. Bar is nice. Breakfast is great. Bathroom is great and the toiletries nice. I-Mac in the room is always really handy and overall, i still really rate this place. I'll come back time and time again and hope you expand the chain even more

(one tiny request, kingsize beds would be nice as my bed seemed quite small this time)

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 March 2010

I recently went to Manchester for a gig and decided to book a hotel for me and my girlfriend and stayed at the City Inn. First of all the location is great. Right by Manchester Pic. train station and a brief stroll into the centre. Parking for the hotel is fairly convenient, NCP car Park round the back of the hotel and it cost £10 for 24hrs (hotel give you 15% discount) which I didnt think was too bad at all. We stayed there on a Sunday night which is probably why we got a good price. We paid £69 for a double room, including breakfast and booked directly via the hotel website. When we got there the reception staff helpful, polite and friendly and actually upgraded us to a superior room. We had room number 523 on 5th floor and it was corner room with a great view. It was clean, spacious and loads of natural light coming in from the corner window with a big double bed. Bathroom was of a good size, with a big shower (no bath) and again very clean. The room had an Apple system for watching TV, listen to music, watching DVD's and checking internet, all for free. Breakfast in the morning was really good. There was a good selection of cereals, meats & cheeses, little muffins and you have a cook breakfast made to order, all together with tea/coffee and toast....a great way to start your busy day in Manchester.
In my opinion its a great hotel, with great staff and fantastic service. If you are going to Manchester then check out this hotel and also, if you are going there and want a night out, go to the Northern Quarter....a cool area of Manchester which is more laid back and easy going and less pretentious than some of the other bar areas in Manchester.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple