“good location”

Clydemount Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manchester
Clydemount Guest House
Ranked #9 of 29 Manchester B&B and Inns
somerset,uk
“good location”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Just spent one night at the Clydemount,found the owners to be friendly and very helpful,giving good information regarding buses, taxis and the surrounding area.As stated by other comments we found the place very dated,in desparate need of a referb,but we found the place clean and warm on a damp manchester evening.Tea and coffee were available in the room,but had to share a washroom.The breakfast,which you pay extra for, was plentyful if lacking quality.Off road parking is a bonus if not very well signed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jonSomerset_uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
bangor
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed at the Clydemount hotel as I was on training, the owners are very nice people who couldnt do enough to help us with directions and nearby things to entertain our two year old son. The room is a little dated could do with a spruce up but the beds were very comfy! I wouldnt opt for the breakfast in the morning, for seven pounds unfortunately it wasnt the greatest and I ended up filling up on toast rather than the cooked breakfast we were served. Egg sausage, bacon and beans. my partner and I couldnt eat the sausage as it tasted funny and the bacon tasted deep fat fried. So we left it.
Although as I said, very nice owners!

Room Tip: Rooms round the back are best, as away from busy traffic
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank louise j
, Owner at Clydemount Guest House, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
We have noted your comments and glad we could accommodate an early check-in at no extra charge.

We were glad to hear you had a comfortable nights sleep, however a little disappointed to just find out you were not happy with the breakfast.

Our larger breakfast which you ordered, does consist of:- Fruit Juice, Selection of Cereal, Tea/Coffee, Double Eggs, Double Sausage, Double Bacon, Beans and Tomatoes with Toast and preserves.
The sausage we use for our breakfast are a brand name and we have been complimented on them over the years. All our sausage and bacon are grilled - the only items fried (in vegetable oil) are the eggs - however poached or scrambled are available if guests prefer, as our menu states.

We have monitored your comments about our breakfast with guests over the last month, and we have received positive feedback.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I chose this B & B when I went to Gorton to research my ancestors. My great grandparents lived at Clyde Mount and brought up my grandmother and the rest of the family there. It was the family home for over 40 years and my father remembers visiting when he was a child.

When I told him I was staying at Clyde Mount, he told me Gorton was a run down area. Well when I got there I discovered many pleasant parts of Gorton (Debdale Park and Gorton Monastery for instance) but the best part was Clyde Mount. I like Victorian buildings and the house was decorated in keeping with the period and had a comfortable atmosphere.

The owners were very welcoming, chatty and gave me lots of local information and the breakfast was wonderful. The room was clean and comfortable, and so was the bathroom. I slept like a log and would go back any time.

My only problem with it was the noise of the traffic but I didn't notice any musty smells or stains or threadbare carpets, like in the other reviews. The furniture and decor was the right style for a Victorian house. If people don't like Victorian houses they should go and stay at a Travelodge.

My great grandparents must have been happy there and so was I.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise of traffic ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank Catherine H
Wallsend-on-Tyne, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2011

we stopped at the clydemount,i am disabled so myself and my husband had the groundfloor bedroom in the house 2 doors up, the owners were on holiday, so we were looked after by ann,she was a darling, well fed, well looked after,
i dont know what some people expect for their money, some people just like to complain, but not us, thankyou ann lovely weekend.
see you next year

Room Tip: we had a downstairs room, we had everything we needed, if we didn't we just had to ask ann and s...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Maureen R
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Stayed with our daughter and my parents for a weekend. Hotel not in City Centre, but had all the amenities we needed. Phil and Kev couldn't do enough for us, so helpful, and made us feel really welcome. Located on a busy road, but has off-road parking, also picturesque Lake opposite. Found a working mens club nearby who also made us feel welcome. Freshly cooked breakfast was excellant, rooms tidied every day. Great to find a smoking room too!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Loopylou13
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2011

The owner of this guest house was very helpful and friendly on the telephone when this booking was made. On arrival at the guest house we received a warm welcome from one of the owners who directed us to stay in a house two doors down from the main guest house, which they also owned. The website photo's of the outside of the house do not prepare you for the inside. I would describe the photo's as misleading and believe there is a good reason why there are no bedroom photo's on the website.....no-one would book. The room were quite large but smelled very musty. The carpets and furniture were very old and threadbare. Seen better days doesn't come near to how I would describe it. The upstairs and downstairs had bathrooms at the end of the corridors. However, we only used the bathroom for the toilet as a necessity. It was a good job we were only there for one night and didn't need to use the shower. The bath/shower was not clean and was very damp so also smelled musty. I would not have liked to touch the shower curtain. On returning to the guest house in the evening none of us really wanted to get into the beds or stay for the night, but we had to. It was very difficult to get to sleep as the musty smell got right up your nostrils. The guest house is also on a main road with four lanes so traffic noise is also a problem. This could be a nice guest house if only it was updated and had a thorough clean. Whilst it is said you get what you pay for, you at least expect cleanliness and do not expect damp and musty smells. Stay here at your peril.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms overlook a four lane main road
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank 186403Traveller
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2011

On arrival we were greeted by the owners who were very helpful and gave us information on where to go in Manchester and taxi details, things were looking positive. We were not bothered that the large Victoria building was on a main road, we just wanted a clean bed and somewhere to get showered and changed.

However, our joy was shorted lived. We stayed in the B&B 2 doors away owned by the same couple. When we walked through the doors we were greeted by a strong musty smell. Everything was really dark and dated, it looked like it’s been kitted out with furniture from a second hand shop.

The major problem was the cleanliness of this B&B. The whole B&B had really old carpets, full of staines and nearly threadbare. There are no toilets or showers in the rooms, there is a only small hand basin. There is a communal shower toilet on each floor but we couldn’t even use the upstairs toilet as it was so bad and absolutely stank, it also had damp which needed to be treated. The shower curtain, floor and bath were filthy and because of that none of us had a shower. One of the rooms was taken on a permanent basis by full time lodger which I found a little odd but then again the rooms did look like a hostel.

We had to advise on the evening of the night before if we wanted breakfast we all quickly decided that MacDonald’s over the road was a much better alternative even though we don’t normally visit MacDonald’s but we just couldn’t risk eating at this B&B.

If I had been with my partner I would have checked out or even driven home after the concert this is how bad this B&B is. We kept the windows open all night to get some fresh air circulating around the room, we didn’t even want to walk bare foot on the carpets as it was so filthy.

If it appear in the tv show 3 in a bed I can tell you no one would pay for this B&B.
Is a shame to write such a bad review but I feel the website is so misleading and I now know why there are no photos of the room.

There is so much potential as the building is a large Victorian building it just needs a bit of TLC and a good cleaner and a bit of decorating.

The cleanliness needs to be improved.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank LisaMCord
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
#1 of 1 in Audenshaw
Rampant Lion Hotel
Rampant Lion Hotel
#4 of 29 in Manchester

Been to Clydemount Guest House? Share your experiences!