“Great hotel, well located to centre of town”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #49 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Penicuik
“Great hotel, well located to centre of town”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

What a great place to stay. We were in Manchester fro the Xmas markets and had a great time. Breakfasts were good and rooms were comfortable. Would recommend it to anyone going to Manchester.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Macdonald_FOH_Mgr, Guest Relations Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Dear Andymacf

Thank you for the comments, I hope to welcome you back for the Christmas markets 2011.

Kind Regards

Ewan Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
London
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I stayed at the Macdonald hotel recently while visiting Manchester for a gig, and it provided everything I needed. The location is really convenient, right next to Picadilly station, so it's the perfect place to drop your bags off and start exploring straightaway. (However, note that it's not in the most salubrious of locations, at the back of the train station which is a bit of a scummy area, but as it's on the main road it felt safe coming home late at night).
The rooms were massive, with huge windows which had a great view over Manchester (ok, again we were facing the station, so a bit industrial, but still...)
The room was also really modern, with TV and iPod dock, and everything else you'd expect like iron, tea making facilities, hairdryer etc.
The bathroom again was huge, with a lovely big bath. We didn't get chance to visit the spa but will try to on our next visit. Would definitely recommend, and as we got a good deal through laterooms it was also good value for money.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Myself and a few friends were meeting in Manchester for my birthday and I decided to stay here for a change. I have stopped here before but had a few bad experiences but decided to give it a go again. I booked one of 2 suites, and when we checked in the room looked ok, some of the furniture is showing signs of wear and tear and generally feels a little old now compared to other 4 star hotels in Manchester. The real problem was the shower, it kept loosing pressure and going hot and cold. I called reception as soon as I was out but the maintenance man had gone home, I was offered another room to shower in (not the most practical of solutions) but as I had Friends there I was going to use one of theirs only to be told by them that there showers were exactly the same. When I checked out we were not even asked if everything is ok else I would have sorted it then.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This was my second visit to the Macdonald Hotel in Manchester in 6 months and we stayed for 6 nights. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean. The location ( 2mins walk to Piccadilly station) and proximity to the canal area and the central shopping area make this an ideal affordable location. Will definitely stay here again when visiting from New Zealand.

Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Having visited this hotel 3 years ago – almost when it first opened it was decided to return for a shopping and pampering weekend.

We did a DBB deal for a city view room (as we had done previously 3 years ago).

On arrival the car park was available and to be honest I don’t mind paying for the hotel car park (£12) as it is very secure and the price is on par with other hotel car parks (The Arora for instance).

A big group was checking in when we arrived but the hotel seemed to have managed this well having another check in area for people (like us) who were not part of the big group.

We were there before the allotted 2pm check in and I’m glad to say our room was ready and we could go up. I must add the lady checking us in was very friendly and made us feel welcome – even knowing we had stayed before and asking us if wanted the same Sunday papers. As I don’t believe in credit cards they did want a swipe of my debit card and it did initially take £50 out of my account in case of any ‘extras’ a bit of an odd practice – to actually take the money out – they did the same with the couple who checked in before us as well as another couple on another desk.

Right this is the bit where I have a moan. I have to say 3 years can take a lot out of a hotel and I’m afraid to say some of the public areas and our room seemed a little tired.

I don’t think the cleaning was immaculate (corridor carpets especially looked grubby – maybe a light colour was not the best idea for a hotel carpet); however in the room lots of dust catching glass shelves and items were present and dusty. The I dock worked but again was very dusty. However the main worry was one very suspicious stain on the bottom of one of the sides of the bed!

As I said earlier the room just seemed a little run down – the wood furniture looked a little tatty – the fabrics on the chairs etc looked less spectacular as they did 3 yrs ago (maybe a deep steam clean would restore them). The bathroom was also a little below par in cleaning terms. Don’t get me wrong the weekend was not spoilt, just like the room, a bit of luxury veneer was truly missing! The view from the room was good though.

Next stop was the Spa – something (being a bloke) I have never done before. Fantastic! Made to feel very welcome and what a great compliment of staff – a fantastic experience with nice surroundings. A bit pricey but good for a treat.

We then went off into town – and found that the hotel was in a great location – 3 yrs ago it rained as it was March so we stayed put then. It was near to the shops, bars etc.

On our return we got changed to head off for our inclusive meal – just as we were about to leave there was a knock at the door and we were handed a £15 voucher to use during our stay – it later transpired that this was part of the offer when we booked. It was a nice surprise but would have possibly been handier if given when we checked in. Anyhow we decided to use it in the restaurant.

I’m more than happy to say that one thing that has not deteriorated in the last 3 years was the quality of food and service in the restaurant. A very welcoming team and a good choice of food. What I would say though that the dinner allowance is £20 per head on the deal we had. This doesn’t go very far on the a la carte menu when some starters are £7.50 and mains £16+ (but worth it). There is a set menu choice (we had this) that is very good and from memory I think 3 courses was £21 – I’m glad we had the voucher to put towards the meal. I think we had £16 extra to pay once we had finished (incl drinks). Just a word of warning you will be presented with a full bill your £20 per head it deducted when you check out. The food was outstanding by the way and it’s great to watch the chefs in the open kitchen.

Back up to the room we went and in general had a good nights sleep in the rather large bed!

Breakfast, (as the meal that previous evening) was a delight. A good selection of cereals, pastries and other treats were available as well as a fantastic cooked breakfast buffet. The good thing about this was it ran along the open kitchen so things were replenished by the chefs as they were running out and things were not over stocked as the chefs were keeping an eye out for what was sitting under the lamps and for how long. I loved the black pudding.

Checkout was painless and ended up with me getting a credit of £26 being put back into my account after payment for the parking; meal balance etc had been paid.

I do think the overall price we paid though was a little steep with regard to the room standard. I think if the hotel wanted me to recommend a stay with regards to my business contacts they would need to up the game on some of their housekeeping a little. Would I personally pay to stay again – maybe – I think that I would possibly need a good convincer to pay the same rate again though.

In summary a good weekend was had. The hotel however did seem like a good old friend you have bumped into after 3 years - who has maybe over the years has let themselves go a little!

Room Tip: Cityview room is a must, bring your IPOD