“Excellent value for money, nigh on 5 star quality”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #48 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money, nigh on 5 star quality”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

This was booked as a last-minute stay to see friends. For the price we paid (classic double), the quality was excellent - large room with large windows, king bed, Bose iPod dock, flatscreen television, full tea making facilities, drinks cabinet/accessories eg ice bucket and tongs, large bath with speaker above and separate double shower etc. High quality furniture/finishing and attentive room service. Essentially 5-star minus bathrobes, slippers and turning down service.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (770)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We stayed here for one night but could happily have stayed longer, check in was busy as you would expect for a hotel of this size but I was dealt with as quickly as possible and professionaly by an obviously well trained staff. The room was very clean, very large and very well equiped with a wonderful view over Manchester. We dined out in the city that night and came back to have a drink in the bar and here is my one of two complaints....the bar prices are extremely high! We then had a wonderful nights sleep which was followed by one of the best breakfast experiences ever in a UK hotel, there were no queues, the staff were very attentive and the food fresh and plentiful but alas second complaint.... no black pudding!! These two minor niggles I experienced will not put us off returning to The McDonald Manchester. Well one to the Manager and staff I say :)

Room Tip: Deal direct with the hotel not laterooms etc!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I was really impressed by the rooms and the breakfast was first rate

• Stayed July 2011
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I only went to the spar so I cannot comment about the hotel.

The spar is beautifully very well set up looks picture perfect. The staff look very professional and are very pleasant. I was excited by these first impressions on arrival.

There was a baby in the communal
area with another mother being pampered. As we all know babies cry. If you want the potential of having a baby at your spa day think twice about this spa.

I was having a spa day Starting at 10:00hrs and finishing at 17:00 hrs so I arrived at 10:00am. I was given robes and flip flops. I questioned what happens next? Your treatments are between 15:30
-17:00 hrs and lunch 12:00 14:00
hrs.
How is that a spa day? Why are the treatments not spread through out the day allowing you to relax inbetween? What a huge shame and huge dissapointment.

The massage was fab loveD the whole 30 mins. Room very relaxing set up and very nicely decorated.

I had a jessica massage. Lovely product. It Is a manicure I have had a number of times before and always been impressed. The whole manicure from start to finish took 20 minutes and seemed very rushed. The finish was very poor and full of bubbles. Not a finish I was happy with. I immediately asked the spar manager to take a look. She agreed and immediately asked if the manicure could be re done. I did not have time as needed to leave for a prior engagement. It was suggested I come back. I immediately noted this would be inconvenient as I live a 40 min round trip away so I would prefer my money back. This was declined.

As a result of the above unfortunately I would not reccommend this beautiful and well turned out spar. It is all style and no substance. I was very dissapointed and do not want you to experience the same.

• Stayed July 2011
Yorkshire
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I could sum up my stay in one word; disappointing, however Trip Advisor tell me I must expand on this.

I have stayed in this hotel frequently over the last few years, but have finally lost patience with the lack of drive by the management to solve some of the more annoying things and have also noticed a gradual decline. Here is the list:

Lifts are badly programmed, slow and unreliable. They frequently have a random way of leaving you standing as they pass you by up to three, four or five times failing to stop at your floor. It can take 5 to 10 minutes at times to get one.

Bedrooms beginning to suffer a little now with age. They are a good size and the television offer is good, but the majority of the Bose iPod docks dont work anymore and the fridge/coffee and tea making console is poorly designed so that the tea/coffee.milk etc are kept very warm. Can't be good for the latter. If you end up in on at the back and its term time, expect to be disturbed by drunken student rantings early in the morning.

Aircon has a mind of its own. Sometimes it won't cool the room down or sometimes you cannot heat it up. Sometimes it turns itself on in the middle of the night for no reason.

Food is generaly edible, but so samey. The menus, (bar, room amd restaurant.), never really change and iaren't extensive or exciting. You don't always get what you ask for first time. Breakfast staff insist you wait until they are ready to take you to a table. There are not enough staff to do this at busy times so a queue forms; top tip is to just walk in and take a table. They can't hang you for it.

Check in and out is slow due to, seemingly, poor/slow computers and systems. Frequently I end up getting to do my expense repiort to find that I have been given a check out bill that isn't a VAT receipt. There then follows a lengthy and unecessary process to get one. Surely it is easy to just issue a standard bill to everyone that is a VAT receipt - why not? It is straightforward at other hotels.

Overall the hotel is passable and not uncomfortable, but dont expect everything to be smooth and well managed as it just isn't.

Room Tip: Ask for a City View room on a high floor to avoid noise, but not if you dont want to wait for a lift...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Denbigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Stayed one night for Take That Concert. Yes we know Manchester was very busy, BUT when we first arrived at the hotel at 20min to 1 we were turned away and told to come back at 2pm. So we did but on return at 2pm we were in a queue outside in the rain and it took us 1hr to reach the reception desk. I can not believe that all the rooms were not ready until 2pm could they not have staggered the check in's which would have made more sence. Anyway when we got to our room which was lovely we had to rush as the hotel notice board in the reception stated that the concert was starting an hour early that evening. We rushed to find food and walked to the stadium only to find that the hotel had got the times wrong !!!!
On our return to the hotel after a 45 min walk we ordered a drink from the bar and a bacon roll the roll cost £5.50 rip off....
We were soon in bed and slept well. However the next morning more queue's outside the breakfast room another half hour wait to get a table then no clean glasses, find your own cutelry and hope to get some coffee.
This hotel surely must know how to operate at busy times but if not should get their act together before letting out so many rooms that they can't cope.
Has put us off trying other Macdonald Hotels ....

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 21 July 2011

large, quiet room, loads of hot water - fine!
but breakfast - £17.50? we weren't that hungry...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple