“Big rooms”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #50 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Good value for money with the non-refundable offer at £100 for one twin with breakfast.
One of the biggest rooms I have slept in at a hotel.
Lovely breakfast, plenty of option and tasty to go.

• Stayed: January 2012
There are newer reviews for Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 23 January 2012

I go to Manchester regularly with work and like to use the Macdonald. The rooms are modern and spacious, the staff are friendly, it is located right next to Picadilly train station and they do a nice breakfast. They have even given me a nicer room on occassion. Definately recommend

Room Tip: I prefer the city facing room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Macdonald_FOH_Mgr, Guest Relations Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2012

Dear Peteoxford

Thank you for staying with us, it is always pleasing to hear such positive feedback.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel 2011, went with friends for a cheap spa day, found an offer to stay at this hotel so booked it (as spa day at the hotel)

All rooms were nicely decorated, seperate bath and shower, small toiletries, towels provided, tea/coffee and kettle in room. Bed really comfortable - only down side to the room was how hot they are !! No windows, just glass, the air con doesnt give out suffient "blow" so room is red hot. Especially when trying to get ready

Spa - great, enjoyed the treatment (facial & massage) and the spa area is great, lots of seating, seperate steam room(s), even an ice shower, really intimate atmosphere.

Service - from bar to spa staff, all professional, helpful & polite, real change from service I am used to receiving now a days.

Room Tip: Easy check in, you dont need to allow bags of time to get checked in, really quick & minimum fus...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Holidayprincess28
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I have stayed here several times as it is convenient for my office and for the station. However, I find it can be hit and miss as far as the rooms are concerned. This time I was allocated a room on the 8th floor with a city view (the rear facing rooms can be noisy from the student accommodation opposite) There was clearly a problem with either the air conditioning or the drains as it absolutely stunk. I couldnt even wait in the room until they found me another one. However, the concierge named Daniel was extremely professional and apologetic and showed me to another room on the 6th floor which was fine. However I learned the next morning that the shower didnt work but had moved rooms once and didnt fancy moving again. Breakfast is nice, generally the staff are helpful and food is good, I ordered a room service burger which was very good indeed. Overall its average but could be so much better.

Room Tip: avoid the rear facing rooms which can be noisy but get a high room to avoid road noise from the fron...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank intrepidexplorersid

Dear Guest

Please accept my apologies for the issue you experienced upon arriving at the hotel. I am pleased we were able to react to the situation and your comments have been personally relayed to Daniel.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

I have stayed in this hotel a few times, always to the rear. I explained to the reception staff that I was a very light sleeper, however they informed me that the property was triple glazed and I would have no problems, I also noticed a loud noise coming from the air conditioning vents... needless to say I had about 3 hours sleep with all the street noise. I'm still very tired a few days after the night away.

The hotel reception bar area does not do the hotel justice, especially as this is 4star and the rooms so stunning. with all the special drinks offers and chalk boards, it looks like a Yates or something not so classy.

However the rooms are very nice, I found Elly on reception very welcoming and even the booking staff.. Shame about the noise, I guess what you expect from a city centre hotel, although it is not that central. I parked in a very dodgy isolated car-park behind the hotel as the hotel car-park was full, I worried sick about it all night but it was only £6.50.

If I stay here again I will insist on a rear room, I suggest you do the same if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: ask for rear rooms due to street noise. Be careful about using the rear public carpark, it is very i...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Richard M

Thank you for your comments. I am disappointed you found the hotels triple glazing insufficient to block outside noise, it is seldom we experience an issue of this nature and our reception team would have been happy to provide an alternative.

The hotel has a secure 80 space car park, this is on a first come basis. Once this is full our concierge team advise guests to park at the nearest secure NCP car park, this is about a five minute walk away.

I have personally passed your comments on to Elly.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Our stay in this hotel was lovely. We upgraded to a Superior Room and it was fairly massive! The view from the room was a city sky line, which was exactly what we expected. Facilities were good although because the room was so big, it was difficult to see the TV which was on the wall at the other side of the room! The mini bar was empty though and the ipod dock didn't work properly.

If you're looking for a central hotel, you can probably get somewhere more central than this - it's definitely close to the city centre but it's about a 10 min walk to Picadilly gardens. Overall, I would stay here again, we really enjoyed it and it was good value for money. We didn't have breakfast so I can't comment on that.

Parking is pretty reasonable too, for a city centre hotel! I think it cost £12 for over 24 hours - we left the car there while we shopped the next day and this wasn't a problem.

Room Tip: For a view over the city, make sure you get a room on the 7th or 8th floor.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kayelouise1234

Dear Kayelouise1234

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, our superior rooms are of a very high standard and we are ideally located for Manchester City Centre.

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

Nice hotel located within walking distance from Picadilly station and about 15 minutes from the main street of shops. The hotel reception staff were friendly and concierge helpful, check in and out was painless and fast.

The room was a good size and had all amenities required except an empty mini bar?!
All in all a nice stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Macdonald_FOH_Mgr, Guest Relations Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Dear Wrighty0

Thank you for staying with us, I am pleased you found our staff both friendly and efficient.

The mini can be stocked on request, I am sorry this was not explained to you at the time.