“Not a favourite” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Not a favourite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

Stay in this Hotel on business so not sure of cost and relative value but I'm not a big fan of this Hotel. Plus points:- Central location, spacious bedrooms and bathrooms, excellent shower, all standard extras, clean. Negatives:- feels like an office block, massive windows in bedrooms make you feel like a goldfish, rooms often cold and you have to phone reception to get the heating turned on, expensive bar, gym freezing, no free wifi in rooms.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Anthony,

I'm not sure when you last stayed with us or what room you used but cold rooms aren't something we've had much issue with lately; to that end I've sent a message separately to you asking for some further detail if you would be so kind so we can check if there is a problem in that room.

I'm not sure that we should do too much about our windows as overwhelmingly their design, prominence, triple glazing and the views that they offer remain unique features within the city gaining consistently positive feedback. To add we have complimentary Internet access in all of our rooms so I suspect your frustration may be due to the platform you may be using as it's very easy to simply plug and play with your Laptop. Also our drinks prices remain extremely competitive for a City Centre Hotel as against our competition including local quality restaurants and bars.

Kind regards and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

A great city centre hotel. I couldn't fault anything about my stay. The hotel itself is spotless and has a great feel to it. Polite staff at the reception desk and my room was exceptional. ( fell in love with the bathroom). Lovely bed, the best nights sleep I have had in ages. Liked the hotel so much that I even extended my stay. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Dear Tinka,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words it is appreciated. Really pleased to read that you were so happy that you decided to extend your stay with us which is always a very positive sign.

many thanks once again and of course we look forward to your return.

Kind regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here with my boyfriend, we stayed in a superior room. It was lovely especially for the price we paid, the size of the room was brilliant and the bathroom was lovely, very clean which made me feel allot better.

The staff as we checked in and out we're lovely, they made it very quick and and easy transition.

The only problem i had was the bar was very under staffed, the bar was quite busy and only one gentleman working, he was trying his best but I ended up cancelling my drink and going upstairs as more and more people were arriving and I'd been advised to take a seat while he made them. (Obviously being polite not aware of the people on the way) Can't blame the bar staff as he needed more help!

Overall would definitely go back!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandra S
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Alexandra S,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and as you will see I've sent a message separately to gain a little more information if you would be so kind about the delay in the bar as that seems to have marred what could have been a faultless stay; so sorry we let you down.

Thank you however for taking the time to write about your time with us and so pleased that generally our team really looked after you and your boyfriend.

Kind regards and we look forward to your return.

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel because we were going to watch a comedian at the O2 and thought it was reasonably close. My parter had to go in as I waited in the car because we had a to get a security card to open the gates of the private car park. This was great, really took the stress out of parking worries. Room was lovely, absolutely no complaints. View was nice too, we were on the 6th floor. All amenities intact and working. Great stay, highly recommended.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Natalie W,

First of all I hope you enjoyed the show at The O2 Arena and secondly thank you for your kind words about the ease of access to the hotel and the attentive nature of our great team as well as the general quality of your stay with us.

We hope to see you back here very soon. Many thanks once again

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

The Macdonald hotel is a very large hotel right in the heart of Manchester, it can be clearly seen from a number of different directions, which makes it all the more annoying when the post code they give you doesn't actually get you into the hotel, yes it is clearly seen when you drive past it on the flyover near by, which is ok as the sat. nav. then guides you back under the flyover around Manchester's somewhat unconventional oneway system and right past the front door of the hotel, - unfortunately, you can not stop there, even momentarily, and there is no access to the car park. The sat.nav. then takes back onto the flyover and the whole process is repeated until you turn it off and do the one way system by a process of elimination! Once I found the car park which is round the back and certainly not the easiest to find, I then discovered that you need a combination code from reception in order to open the gate to park your car. If you are in the car on your own you can not leave your car and get to reception, so the only options are send your passenger ( if you have one ) or phone reception. When I eventually got to reception and asked about the postcode they said they actually had 2 one which takes you to the car park (the one that would be really useful if you are driving!) and another one which takes you on a really long scenic tour of the city. It is not hard to work out which one I was given. One final note to drivers who do not know the city, I would advise you pay particular attention to the traffic lights as some of them control the tram system which shoot out of side roads when you least expect them!
With such a bad start I though I would not like this hotel, however things started improving as soon as I got inside, registration was quick and efficient, the reception area was bright and airy and this led on to a large bar area which had a nice laid back atmosphere. Bar Prices were slightly higher than pub prices but not as bad as some hotels and probably cheaper than some club prices, I went up to the room and was pleasantly surprised at the size of it and how clean it was. All the usual amenities were there plus a few that were unexpected. The temperature in the room was good and not only adjustable but the system responded when you did fiddle with it. There was a low level of street noise as I was only on the 3rd floor but it was must better than most city centre hotels I have stayed in. The King size bed was clean and comfortable and I had a good nights sleep. I had a very early start the following morning but could still have a full breakfast before I left. The only down side was the fairly hefty additional charge to park in their car-park overnight, however it was very secure with a high fence around it and a good chance that when you return to it there are no unpleasant surprises. All in all a pleasant experience and one I would repeat, for a large hotel it had managed to maintain a certain style and character of their own.

Room Tip: If driving, make sure you have the post code and access code for the car park before you set off and...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear DaveLD1,

If only you'd have been given our Car Park 'SatNav' Postcode then you could have gone straight into all the nice things you said about our hotel and great team. The key item that I shall take away from your very kind review is to remind everyone in our team plus our third party agencies that although our Car Park is literally 5 metres from the hotel the course of the One Way system in Manchester City Centre means that we need to make sure for those guests travelling in by car and so using a SatNav that they are given the Post Code that really matters to them. It saves all the hassle

That said I was so pleased to read on and find that you thoroughly enjoyed yourself and that you will be back sometime soon.

Kind regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

I stayed in this hotel on Saturday 23rd march for one night with my mother as part of a large group we met up with sixteen other ladies for a night out. On arrival there was a large cue for check in so we sat in the lounge for a coffee and ordered some food which took a long time to come and when it did come they were completely the wrong fillings on the sandwiches! I was then asked for my receipt. The order was eventually corrected but I have to say the sandwiches we had were definitely not worth the cost and I wouldn't recommend. Once checked in we went up in the very slow lift to a beautiful clean and modern room with big windows, we were very pleased with the room. Went out with our friends for the night and upon arriving back came face time face with around ten very distressed hens on a hen night. They had been trapped in the lift for over an hour. Needless to say the lift was then out the question. Breakfast which is served until twelve pm is delicious with friendly staff and chefs the best breakfast I had in a hotel yet. Over all very nice stay slept well in comfortable beds.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank victoriamol
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear Victoriamol,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and apologies for the error on the original sandwich order I've asked the people concerned already to look for the delivery of their services to be completely accurate.

So pleased that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and Manchester in general.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your return.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

Stayed in the hotel for one night and must say the experience was a pleasure , the rooms are big and spacious and clean , the bathroom also big and clean . Breakfast was tasty and a varied selection and there was a warmth and kindness from staff which made you feel that nothing was too much trouble . I will be staying again and would recommend this hotel . Keep up the hard work . Michele

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Dear Michele,

Thanks so much for your kind comments and review they are appreciated. So pleased that we looked after you throughout your stay and that you will use us as your hotel whilst in Manchester going forward.

All the very best