“An exceptional visit”

Ranked #49 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Bath, United Kingdom
“An exceptional visit”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I recently had a business trip to make in Manchester and i chose Macdonald Manchester hotel as my base. I booked very smoothly over the telephone, the reservations lady was very helpful and fully understood my needs. I'm disabled in a wheel chair and my biggest concern, where ever I go is getting help. Once I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by a very smart, pleasant, punctual member of staff. He helped me from my cab and the check procedure was exceptional. Again I was helped to my room and advised were things where and if I needed any help, to dial reception. I settled in well then went down to use the spa and the hotels facilities, again all the staff I came across were very helpful, they excelled and being disabled, its really appreciated. The rooms were comfortable and I had a perfect nights sleep. Breakfast was buffet style and an excellent choice was on offer, cereal, continental, hot cooked english breakfast, fruits, yoghurts and more. I dined again in the scottish steak club which is the hotels restaurant, again excellent cuisine at a sensible price. There was a Mexican chap who works behind the bar who is a credit to the hotel, he couldn't do enough for me. Overal an A1+ experience at this hotel, I would whole heartedly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear Steve,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa it is appreciated. So pleased that the team helped you from the second that you arrived and that you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel including Dinner in The Scottish Steak Club which I know is an excellent offer. I shall pass on your feedback to the team especially Xavier in the Bar.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Me and my friend came for her birthday spa weekend. First of all we arrived at 2pm and our room wasn't ready so we had to wait 20mins. We decided to walk into Manchester and come back and use the spa. On our return we were informed the spa was out of order. It ruined our stay as that was the whole purpose of our visit. We booked this spa break to get away from it all combined with her birthday.

We should have been informed the spa was out of use prior to our stay and we would have rearranged or stayed elsewhere.

We could have stayed somewhere cheaper but chose here purposely for the spa!

Also the TV didn't work in the room. It kept saying 'no or bad signal'.

It also said on the website that the rooms had docking stations so I didn't bring my iphone charger as I thought I'd be able to charge it in the room but when I tried, it said not compatible even though it was an iphone docking station, it only played and not charged, so I had no phone for the majority of my stay!

Overall, this was a very disappointing stay and wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sunniehol
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Dear Sunniehol,

Thanks for taking the time to review us and for your kind feedback. I'm really sorry that you were unable to use the thermal suite at the time you wanted unfortunately it was down for about an hour however I hope the complimentary glass of bubbly to assuage your inconvenience went down well and I was pleased that the matter didn't interupt any of our treatment rooms.

TV's: Unfortunately there was quite a bit of disruption with the TV signal coming into the hotel on Saturday due to the switchover to G4 affecting quite a few businesses in the area. I'm pleased to say it is resolved and although the matter was not of our making I understand the disappointment completely and I'm sorry that it occurred.

With the docking station problem I have sent a message separately to you asking for a little more information about the type of iphone system that you have and your room number as we don't normally have this problem with this so there may be new technology in play. I'd appreciate a reply so we can solve the matter.

Please when next you are planning to visit us let me know personally so that I can exceed your expectations on that occasion.

Kind regards and thank you once again for offering your feedback it will be used to ever improve on what we do.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Stayed here before. Very convenient for station and the 'MIT' part of Manchester University - can't be more than 100 yards to either. Staff courteous and helpful.

Nothing else to add, other than a long wait for one of two lifts. Not good enough for this class of hotel. Breakfast access strange, its on the first floor, but access is via ground floor lobby.

Room Tip: All seemed OK
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear NSTP81,

Many thanks for taking the time tom review us and for your kind words. I agree we are ideal for all that is happening at the University. We look forward to your return.

London
Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

Sometimes it's the little things that make your hotel stay special or comfortable or even just OK. Sadly Macdonald don't know how to do any of the easy things at all well.

OK you get a base which is a hop and a skip from Manchester Picadilly station. Then when you arrive it starts to go downhill.

We all know that arriving at 10.30 in the morning is well early by hotel standards. But for some of us business travellers it's a convenience to check in before the day ahead and we'll chance it; if not then at least leave our case with concierge. Macdonald receptionists like to make you feel like a muppet by reminding you check in is not til 2pm but let's have a little see if a room is available... And of course on a Tuesday morning it is. Basic customer service makes your guests feel welcome and not partronised.

Arrive back after hours and room service food is limited to a "homemade soup of the day" or is that a mixed up packet from yesterday? And the odd sandwich. After 10pm don't expect anything decent then.

No free wifi. A humax cheapo 20" tv in a decent size room isn't enough.

Macdonald hotels portray some posh aspirations but don't be fooled.

Here we have a basic hotel in a central if little detached setting.

Manchester struggles for decent city centre business bases. If your expectations are low, come in. But there're some simple fixes to make the Macdonald at least for all its clean modernity a slight cut above. If only it could be bothered. Until it is, don't bother.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank YoyoImp
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Yoyolmp,

Many thanks for your kind review please be assured were you've highlighted the opportunity for improvement we've already put actions in place to deliver them for you and future guests.

I agree that its the little things that make all the difference and so I'd be delighted to meet you upon your return.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I stayed only over a night. I appreciated the room structure and the furniture, everything looked very solid and well built with a touch of style. Beside that I'd point a few tiny negatives that did not affect my stay anyways. Being peaky I think they could change tellys on the rooms for some bigger ones. I asked for a couple of wineglasses to the room and I've been told that I would have had to wait around 20 mins. I did indeed. I had been to the bar before going to the room and it was very quiet. Overall it was a pleasant stay anyway, my partner had some good deal for it so I can't complain. Room is fairly spacious, nice airy wide windows. Every tool was in place (keetle, iron, hairdrier..). Nice bathroom with both bath and shower, very wide and clean. In the end I reckon it is the perfect hotel for business people, very central and handy. Worth a try for a treat I believe even though I haven't had the chance to try the restaurant or the spa. I'll stay again.

Room Tip: Probably the rooms facing the back residential area could be more quiet as mine was facing london ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Franscesco,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and great team and for all your kind words they are appreciated. If I could just clarify one item which would be that wine glasses don't always arrive from the Bar they are delivered via our Room Service team who at that time of the evening would have been delivering drinks, food orders and celebration packages hence them letting you know there would be a slight wait; I hope it didn't spoil your experience too much.

Delighted to see that you are planning to return sometime soon and that you enjoyed your time with us.

The Macdonald Hotel and Spa
Cheshire
Reviewed 15 April 2013

THIS IS WHAT I WROTE FOLLOWING OUR STAY:
I wish to complain regarding the hotel experience my husband and I encountered this weekend at the MacDonald Hotel in Manchester. We have stayed at the MacDonald on previous occasions and had an agreeable stay. On this basis I chose to book with MacDonald again to celebrate my husband’s 50th birthday on 1st April.

We arrived at the hotel around 4.30pm and checked in. On arrival we were allocated room 829. We made our way to the room. The room was on the top floor, however, I had specifically requested a front of hotel room on making my booking. I also stated that I did not wish to be facing the student accommodation block. I was disappointed to find we were at the back of the hotel directly overlooking the student block. I explained to my husband that this was not the room I had requested. He stated that he really didn’t mind therefore I accepted the room and decided to stay.

On making this decision, I approached the mini bar to get us both a drink before we went out for the evening. I opened the mini bar door and found it contained a tub of sunflower spread, open packet of ham, a carton of milk and a bottle of Heinz Tomato ketchup. In the top of the mini bar was a white plastic bag. I took out the bag and found it contained a half eaten kebab with fork in a takeaway carton. I was very disgusted. My husband suspected the room had not been made up and went to check the bedding. This appeared clean so the room must have been prepared. Clearly this was not acceptable. I expected a mini-bar in the room as per the room description. To find the contents of what should have been the mini-bar full of a previous customer’s food was certainly not appropriate.

My husband and I went to reception. I asked why there was no mini bar in my room. I was told that the rooms no longer had a mini-bar but to order drinks through room service and the price would be the same. I then asked why the mini-bar space in our room contained food products and a half eaten kebab. At this point, the male on reception, apologised and asked if we wished to move room. My husband immediately said yes and we were allocated room 820. I asked reception at this stage to ensure the room had a 2nd shower gel as I noticed the previous room had only one. The male on reception stated he would organise this.

Having been told the rooms did not have a mini-bar, I was surprised to find this room did contain a mini bar. Obviously the male on reception had lied to us. Since my complaint I have double checked the web site and it clearly states the room I booked did have a mini bar!!!

Having the experience of the previous room caused us to look at this room for cleanliness. It did have hand prints on the headboard and splatters of liquid and the top of the headboard was full of dust. However, having packed and moved rooms already, we didn’t want to start moving again so we accepted and decided to stay. On going to pour ourselves a drink we found only one wine glass. Again disappointing for what should be a double room for a special occasion. My husband drank wine from a tumbler in the circumstances!

We went out for the evening.

The next morning, I went to shower and found only one set of towels in the bathroom. I told my husband and he located further towels in the wardrobe. The towels should have been in the bathroom as the room was booked for two people!

We went for breakfast at 0945 hours. Having been allocated our table the lady greeting guests showed us the breakfast facilities. We got our breakfast and sat down to eat. We had almost finished our breakfast when I noticed green matter stuck to the inside of the milk jug on our table. My husband had used this milk in his tea. I picked up the jug and looked. It appeared to be the remnants of a green sauce. It was not just a little bit of sauce. It was a good two inches wide and about 2 inches deep. When she had finished on her mobile reprimanding a member of staff she required to work on a certain date, I called across the lady who allocated our table and she brought a replacement jug of milk. Her comment "Oh sorry about that". My husband felt sickened due to the fact he had used that milk in his tea. The jug obviously had not been cleaned from its use on a previous occasion. At this stage, I had had enough. It was my husband’s 50th birthday and I had tried to make it special. The MacDonald hotel had really let me down.

We returned to our room and packed and left leaving the key in the express checkout. My husband felt nauseous following the breakfast experience and just wanted to get home. Had he not felt this way I would have complained to staff but I did not want to upset him any further.

I initially had problems when booking the room as the web site kept refusing all my cards. I thought perhaps there was a problem with the server and kept trying but while waiting for it to work did look at other hotels in Manchester. There were plenty of other hotels available and now, in hindsight, I wished I had booked elsewhere. However, I persisted with the website because I knew my husband liked our previous stays at the MacDonald in Manchester.

The hotels response was for me to book another room and I will get an upgrade and free breakfast. Sorry but husband's 50th is only on one date and due to our limited time off together the chance to get out in Manchester again is not on the agenda. I don't see why I should shell out again in order that this hotel proves it can meet basic environmental health standards.

Oh and my husband used to be a Head Chef at top hotels before changing his career. He is very versed in health and hygiene. We will not be fobbed off with 'it was one off incidents'.

Disappointed with hotel and their response to a serious, genuine complaint on several health issues. I will post photos shortly

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Deesoulbabe
Dear Reviewer,

As mentioned in previous correspondence we're probably as disappointed as yourself that we didn't match your expectations never mind exceed them. To be fair the room that was originally booked was exactly what you recieved and I can't find any information or feedback from the team asking for an alternative or upgraded room type. That said theres no doubt that food left in the fridge isn't good and even before your original email was recieved we had dealt with the situation as that is not our usual standard.

As you know via messaging I asked for your review to represent an accurate account as having investigated I was a little perturbed to read that you felt one of our (great) team members was lieing about the mini bar status with your upgraded room. To confim our receptionist was being completely truthful in delivering you the complimentary upgrade in that a Mini bar is part of that offer. Sincerely I feel that the misunderstanding on your behalf goes back to whoever made the original booking on the web for you and making sure it was what you wanted because as you will see there is clear definition of what facilities are in each room.

I also spoke with Jayne our Breakfast Manager also who remembers you and your husband at breakfast and she can't recall having to change any cups although she knows that you asked for the milk jug to be exchanged. Having spoken with Sue our Housekeeper about toileteries I can confirm that although it is unusual for guests to ask for more toileteries theres no limit and so maybe we could improve on the information across depts to ensure you got more of what you asked for and as per every hotel I am aware of anyway the second set of towels are placed in the wardrobe so that the bathroom towel heater doesn't look overloaded. I'd much rather do that than only supply as single set of towels to a room as that isn't what we want to deliver as an experience.

Genuinely I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your stay however if I can take anything form the situation it would be to check all of the websites selling us to ensure they are presenting each room type and offer correctly. Having gone through this activity already I would say they are self explanatory. That said given your disappointment on this occasion please feel free to call me direct to help with your next booking and I will personally ensure we exceed your expectations.

In closing and most importantly I hope that you can see that there was no issue as regards the honesty of members of our team who I can assure you only wanted to assist in the situation and I would be delighted to see you return sometime soon so we can turn the matter around.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

Check in was easy although not asked for credit card, so when I went to the bar without cash was told I would have to go to reception and scan my credit card-this should have been done on arrival. I also booked a table for dinner on arrival but when I turned up at the time I had booked no booking was recorded. This aside the hotel room was lovely and welcoming. Restaurant staff helpful and food divine. Car park is very hard to find but this aside I would revisit this very nice hotel.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Dear LBB40,

Thanks so much for your very kind review. Fully take on board the attention to detail issues which I've no doubt would have made you're stay all the more enjoyable however it was great to read that you really enjoyed yourself and that you'll be back here soon.

Kind regards and we look forward to your return.