“Wow!”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #50 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I don´t normally write reviews but felt I had to on this occasion. Wow! what an fantastic hotel, professional, friendly staff throughout and nothing was too much trouble for them. From the moment I checked in, me and my girlfriend were so well looked after. Drinks in the bar were great and the free nibbles they give could have kept us there all night... almost did!
Dinner int he restaurant was great and seriously some of the best steaks we´ve ever had. My girlfriend had a spa treatment and although it was difficult to get a slot as they were so busy she came back glowing and couldn´t stop talking about how good it was. Thank you to everyone at the Macdonald Manchester for making our stay so memorable, we´ll definitely be back soon

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelfan186225
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear Travelfan,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us which I'm really pleased about as it is an exception for you. It sounds like all of our depts did a great job in delivering for you and that generally you enjoyed a memorable stay.

Kind regards and of course we look forward to your return.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

Just a 2 min walk from Piccadilly which was handy as for there late. Short walk into town too for dinner and the hotel bar is very good - easy atmosphere, well stocked.
Room was great, broken shower but other than that it was better than most exec hotel rooms.
Breakfast was slow and a bit unfriendly but got better once I complained about slow service.
Would happily stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank MrWolfy

Dear Mr Wolfy,

I've sent a spearate email to confirm the details of your stay so that we can repair the shower (i would say its almost certainly repaired by now however) and also understand why our breakfast service was slow as we want every guests experience to be excellent. Apologies for encountering both shortfalls. However so pleased that they didn't marr your stay too much.

Many thanks and as usual we appreciate your feedback so that we can ever improve.

Thanks for your continued loyaly and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

My partner and I have stayed here three times in the past two years and will be returning at the end of may next month. Fantastic hotel, two minute walk from Piccadilly station and ten minutes from the city centre. My favourite hotel in Manchester lovely big rooms and fantastic views

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Rebecca01234

Dear Rebecca,

Short but sweet, thank you! Thanks also for your continued loyalty to our hotel and of course we look forward to your return.

See you soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Having booked The Macdonald manchester Hotel & Spa because it was the nearest to the Apollo theare in Manchester we were pleasantly surprised to find this first class city hotel. The rooms were massive and very clean, the bathroom comprised of a double shower and a bath. We both slept extremely well considering this hotel is on a busy main road. The breakfast, in our opinion, was first class and the staff very friendly and helpful. I would definately recommend this to friends.

Room Tip: This hotel is ideal for the Apollo theatre. It is a ten minute walk on a well lite main road or you...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Suzy,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for your very kind comments. As the nearest hotel to The Apollo we do tend to get our fair share of guests staying here bound for all that is going on there. Really pleased that we added to a great night out for you and thank you for highlighting that you aim to be back here soon and that you thought our breakfast was super; about which I concur and would recommend to anyone staying in the City.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I recently had a business trip to make in Manchester and i chose Macdonald Manchester hotel as my base. I booked very smoothly over the telephone, the reservations lady was very helpful and fully understood my needs. I'm disabled in a wheel chair and my biggest concern, where ever I go is getting help. Once I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by a very smart, pleasant, punctual member of staff. He helped me from my cab and the check procedure was exceptional. Again I was helped to my room and advised were things where and if I needed any help, to dial reception. I settled in well then went down to use the spa and the hotels facilities, again all the staff I came across were very helpful, they excelled and being disabled, its really appreciated. The rooms were comfortable and I had a perfect nights sleep. Breakfast was buffet style and an excellent choice was on offer, cereal, continental, hot cooked english breakfast, fruits, yoghurts and more. I dined again in the scottish steak club which is the hotels restaurant, again excellent cuisine at a sensible price. There was a Mexican chap who works behind the bar who is a credit to the hotel, he couldn't do enough for me. Overal an A1+ experience at this hotel, I would whole heartedly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Steve,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa it is appreciated. So pleased that the team helped you from the second that you arrived and that you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel including Dinner in The Scottish Steak Club which I know is an excellent offer. I shall pass on your feedback to the team especially Xavier in the Bar.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Me and my friend came for her birthday spa weekend. First of all we arrived at 2pm and our room wasn't ready so we had to wait 20mins. We decided to walk into Manchester and come back and use the spa. On our return we were informed the spa was out of order. It ruined our stay as that was the whole purpose of our visit. We booked this spa break to get away from it all combined with her birthday.

We should have been informed the spa was out of use prior to our stay and we would have rearranged or stayed elsewhere.

We could have stayed somewhere cheaper but chose here purposely for the spa!

Also the TV didn't work in the room. It kept saying 'no or bad signal'.

It also said on the website that the rooms had docking stations so I didn't bring my iphone charger as I thought I'd be able to charge it in the room but when I tried, it said not compatible even though it was an iphone docking station, it only played and not charged, so I had no phone for the majority of my stay!

Overall, this was a very disappointing stay and wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sunniehol
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Dear Sunniehol,

Thanks for taking the time to review us and for your kind feedback. I'm really sorry that you were unable to use the thermal suite at the time you wanted unfortunately it was down for about an hour however I hope the complimentary glass of bubbly to assuage your inconvenience went down well and I was pleased that the matter didn't interupt any of our treatment rooms.

TV's: Unfortunately there was quite a bit of disruption with the TV signal coming into the hotel on Saturday due to the switchover to G4 affecting quite a few businesses in the area. I'm pleased to say it is resolved and although the matter was not of our making I understand the disappointment completely and I'm sorry that it occurred.

With the docking station problem I have sent a message separately to you asking for a little more information about the type of iphone system that you have and your room number as we don't normally have this problem with this so there may be new technology in play. I'd appreciate a reply so we can solve the matter.

Please when next you are planning to visit us let me know personally so that I can exceed your expectations on that occasion.

Kind regards and thank you once again for offering your feedback it will be used to ever improve on what we do.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Stayed here before. Very convenient for station and the 'MIT' part of Manchester University - can't be more than 100 yards to either. Staff courteous and helpful.

Nothing else to add, other than a long wait for one of two lifts. Not good enough for this class of hotel. Breakfast access strange, its on the first floor, but access is via ground floor lobby.

Room Tip: All seemed OK
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear NSTP81,

Many thanks for taking the time tom review us and for your kind words. I agree we are ideal for all that is happening at the University. We look forward to your return.