“Nice Hotel”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #49 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Have stayed here twice once with my husband and just last week with my 21 year old daughter, The trip with my daughter was to see McFly play at the Apollo which was just a 3 minute taxi drive away, you could walk but we did not know the area well enough to do this. Hotel is well located, railway station just round the corner, shops a few minutes away. Room was big, clean, bathroom was a good size with a bath and a shower cubicle, the shower was amazing. Staff were friendly and helpful. We did not eat at the hotel but did have a couple of drinks at the bar, drinks are a little on the expensive side but we were expecting this.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Manxpolly
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Dear Polly,

Thanks for taking the time to review us and for your continued loyalty and kind custom all are appreciated. Aye we're ideal for the Apollo as the closest hotel for all that is happening there and also perfectly placed for the city centre as you know.

Our rooms are top quality so thank you also for letting others know just what you get for your money; I honestly don't believe we can be beaten on any of our offers!

All the very best and I hope your return journey went without a hitch and that we see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

I spent two nights in the MacDonald Hotel and Spa in Manchester with my wife for an anniversary treat. The hotel is only 5 minutes walk from the main line Piccadilly train station and even closer to the Piccadilly tram stop.
It is a large hotel catering mainly for business travellers but also ideal for couples. Our city view room on the 6th floor was large and luxurious with all the amenities you would expect from a 4/5 star hotel. The bathroom was equally large and well appointed. Facilities were spotless throughout.
All the staff we met were professional, helpful and cheerful, whether on reception, at the bar or in the restaurant. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
However, the best part of our stay was the food. We had breakfast included, so not sure how much it cost, but it was excellent. Unfortunately we spent too much time eating and drinking so we never got to the Spa.
I would recommend a stay in this hotel if you ever need to visit the city of Manchester.

Room Tip: Paying a little extra for a city view room is well worth it. Night time views of the city are stunni...

Dear Stuart,

Thanks so much for your kind review and I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your room and the quality of our food offerings; both are what we believe sets us apart from our competitors.

I agree also that we are particularly lucky with our location at the heart of the city and I'm so pleased that you have highlighted this for future guest awareness.

Many thanks once again and of course we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

An excellent hotel well situated literally one hundred yards from Manchester Piccadilly rail station. Full freeview on the TV, excellent internet coverage & speeds in the rooms by both wireless or DSL cable (if you forget a cable they will lebnd one in reception), and excellent wireless coverage everywhere else. Even have Bose docking stations for iPod/iPhone

Very good breakfast.

Very good attentive staff.

Bar is a bit pricey but it is a hotel after all.

Picadilly Gardens (which is basicaly the city centre) is about 200 yards away.

(tip for rail travelers - as you come off the rail platform look to your left and you will see the signs for taxis. Follow those and as you leave the building the hotlel is the big black curved building about 100 yards away.)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Andy 'Red Willy... W
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Andy,

Thanks so much for your kind words and for taking the time to review us. Really pleased that you enjoyed yourself and thank you for telling others all about our offerings, the quality of our rooms and our perfect location at the heart of the city.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights,hotel in good location 2minutes walk from train station.allocated room on the 8th floor as requested,lovely big room ,great bathroom and very quiet.Breakfast was very good quality and staff friendly and efficient,would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear Jane,

Many thanks for your kind review it is appreciated and I have to agree with you that all of our rooms are very special and that we're perfectly located for the station and the heart of Manchester.

Thank you for letting the team know that you really enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

What a great place my wife and I spent a romantic spa break here. Great value or money we did not leave the hotel. We had a evening meal in the steak house which was brilliant the service was absolutely great staff we great also. My wife went veg and had the mushroom paste and I had the fillet steak with a blue cheese sauce from start to finish was absolutely great. The next morning my wife had her spa treatments which she loved while I spent some time chilling in the thermal suites which were great only down side no jacuzzi but can't have it all staff were great in the spa also. The finishing touches by the staff were great. Cannot forgot the rooms absolutely great full size bath separate shower nice king size bed only down side was the tv in the room is way to small!! Only pro I could find. Breakfast is a must here a great selection teas and coffees everything you could ask for and the chef can creat whatever egg style you require and for £2.50 extra you can have salmon eggs Benedict or a few other things which is good value also. All in all a great place my wife and I will be back in the future

1  Thank Marc M
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Marc,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us it is appreciated and so pleased that you enjoyed yourselves. Please be assured that we are working towards delivering consistently great stays as always and ever improving all that we do.

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Great hotel, central location with lovely large room and excellent breakfast with friendly staff in restaurant and reception. However, housekeeping only replaced half the number of towels when there were clearly two people staying in the room (two cases!). No answer from reception when I tried to call and long queues to be dealt with. Need to have all four points on the reception desk staffed mornings (3 staff) and evenings (1 staff) when hotel very busy/full.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Mike,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us your feedback is much appreciated. I have asked via a message to you for some further detail about your stay so that we can review it and so improve. There are always two sets of towels in each room as a standard; one set in the bathroom and the other in the cupboard. Again your kind reply will help highlight whether there was a shortfall

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return.

Paul Bay liss MBE

Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night as we had tickets for a show at the Apollo. This hotel is walking distance to the Apollo & we have stayed here before. We are a married couple in our 30's.

As previously, the hotel reception, check in & room were all faultless.

We unfortunately made the mistake of ordering food from the bar before going to the show. I ordered ribeye steak (£19) & my husband ordered chicken curry (£14). We waited 40 mins before the food turned up (no-one else was eating at the bar) & both meals were both cold. We returned them telling the waiter they were cold & a couple sat next to us said theirs had been cold the previous night. We waited a further 15 minutes & the meals were returned, my husbands curry was hot but my £19 ribeye steak with roughy 10 chunky chips was still cold. The bernaise sauce was so cold the butter had solidified. Also disappointing was the cut of meat which I thought was terrible - I've had better in Weatherspoons for less than half the price.

A really disappointing meal that would put me off staying here again. Most disappointedly was the staff reluctance to do anything as they knew we were still unhappy but had no choice but to go due to the concert. They just awkwardly avoided us until we left.

Hotel is a 5 star, but the bar food a zero.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Jo_and_Peter

Dear Jo and Peter,

Many thanks for the comments about where you felt we did well they are appreciated. I'm probably more disappointed than you in that you felt we failed to match your expectations with Dinner as normally we get great feedback about that part of our offering. Please be assured that already I have asked for a reply from the team and an immediate improvement so we are back to our usual high standards.

As loyal guests I'd like to know when next you are planning to return so that I can ensure personally that we deliver all that we do to our usual standard.