“Great weekend!”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #48 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My partner & I have just returned from a wonderful stay here. It was a gift for fathers day off me and my 2 year old, bit of relaxing time together.
The hotel is in a very good location, about 15 minutes walk to the centre of manchester. From checking in to checking out we had first class service!! Breakfast was lovely, but we didnt eat our evening meal in the hotel as we wanted to eat out so carnt comment on that. We had a paranomic room (room 302) it was huge and really clean!!! There was a bit of noise from the train station at times but it didnt really bother us to be honest. We visited the spa as its free for guests and it was nice to relax in there, only downfall.....a pool would be great?! Overall we had a great weekend and we would deffinatly stay again, i would recommend to anyone who wanted a really nice weekend away! Thanks! X

• Stayed: July 2013
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Gemily,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for all your kind comments they are appreciated and so pleased that your Fathers Day present did the trick.

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay to celebrate our anniversary. Was looking on laterooms but by checking the hotels website I noticed the Friday night offer of dinner bed and breakfast for a bargain price. I have to say we were very impressed, all the staff, including the spa and the restaurant were extremely polite and helpful, the room was great and the food was wonderful. There wasn't a great choice for me being vegetarian but you should expect that as the obvious emphasis is steak, what I did have however was much better than in some vegetarian restaurants. Will definitely stay here again, hopefully before our next anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Moonwalker,

Thanks so much for your kind review and for letting others know about our fantastic Friday offer as it is probably the best nights stay in the city allround. Secret is to go to our website as you know.

So pleased that you enjoyed yourselves and that you'll be back sometime soon. Food for thought with the vegetarian comments as we can improve upon your observations no problem.

Thanks again

Reviewed 6 July 2013

This was our 2nd stay at this hotel and we got a great deal through Olotel.

The rooms are massive in comparison to many similar hotels but the feng sui is all wrong with furniture crammed in corners - couldn't open bathroom door without first shifting a chair out of the way. Wardrobe was tiny, but the bed large and comfy.

Bathroom was also huge but again toilet and sink squashed into a corner leaving lots of dead space. The sink was also ridiculously small, too small to get a glass or the kettle into. The mirror was hung too low (had to bend over/squat to see our faces and hair in it).

Finally there were some signs the bathroom had been cleaned but not as thoroughly as we would like. It was a bit poor but would happily stay again

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Virgil,

Thanks for your kind review it is appreciated and so pleased that overall you enjoyed yourselves and would return. From what you've written I believe you may well have been offered one of our adapted rooms which could mean that you booked quite late.

What I can say is that we are doing some work on those rooms to ensure they receive as much positive feedback as our offering generally with the caveat that we are a hotel that makes every effort to accommodate the needs of all of our guests.

When you next plan to stay with us please let me know personally so that I can make sure it exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

I've stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend twice this year, once booking directly with the hotel and once getting a cheaper deal on one of the late room websites.
Upon arriving at the hotel both times the staff were brilliantly helpful, check in was quick and easy and we had no problems finding the rooms. We've been lucky enough to have rooms on each side of the hotel so we've had the benefit of each view that the hotel offers, and although not the most inspiring view available in Manchester it was none the less very striking, especially due to the panoramic window.
The rooms and the bathrooms on each stay were absolutely spotless, the beds were large, firm and very comfortable, and the mini bar well stocked.
We ate at the restaurant on Valentine's night and this would be my only criticism-although the restaurant was very clean and the service fantastic I had a bit of a gripe about the food. My boyfriend ordered a burger which was cooked to perfection and absolutely beautiful, I ordered a ceasar salad.
It's my understanding that a ceasar salad typically includes lettuce, croutons, chicken, parmasan cheese and occasionally bacon and of course ceasar dressing-I received a bowl of lettuce with a few croutons and some mayonnaise on the top.
I ended up eating half my boyfriend's burger instead which left us both hungry.
The second time we stayed however we ordered room service which was both prompt and delicious.

The parking isn't the easiest to find even with the sat nav post code which I used, I ended up driving round in circles repeatedly for a while before pulling up on a side street and my boyfriend running into the hotel to ask them where the parking was. The staff on reception were very helpful providing directions and making sure we found it ok, and although it's fairly expensive (I think £15 for 24 hours) it is very secure with cctv and a gate that requires a code to enter.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Dear Illamasque,

Many thanks for your kind review and your thoughtful comments. They are proof that even though sometimes there are times when a hotel could have done a little better it is how the team deal with the matter that makes all the difference.

Hotels are all about people; our guests and clients and our team and although I wasn't here for either of your previous stays with us I know we have always had a fantastic team who like every successful business always looks for further improvement and so my challenge is to make sure that when next you visit us you'll be at least as delighted as you were last time.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We arrived arrived at 12 noon in Manchester on the Friday and as check in was from 3, we were planning on leaving our cases in the hotel and go shopping, our room was ready and they allowed us to check in early. We had a problem connecting my laptop to the free broadband so staff give us complementary WIFI for the duration of our stay and also allowed us to checkout on hour late on the Monday.

Our room was on the 7th floor and was a city view room, although a view of the main road, train tracks and not the the city view we were expecting but to be honest we really were not bothered, Room was clean and serviced daily. Bathroom was massive and clean, and the power shower was best I have had in a long time. Location is excellent behind Piccadilly Station, 5 minute walks from canal street and 10 minute walk to main shops in city centre.

We didn't have breakfast as £15 if you pre book and £20 if you pay on the day was a little over priced so we just went to get breakfast in town. Also the minibar is very expensive so when you book a room with a mini bar, bare this in mind.

Overall excellent hotel, and thank you for the free wifi when the broadband would not work.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jay_C85
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Jay,

Thanks so much for your kind words and review and so pleased that you've highlighted that where you saw the opportunity for us to improve on our delivery we did so to your satisfaction.

Kind regards and we look forward to your return sometime soon. PS Breakfast in our hotel is considered to be the best offering in the city so don't miss out next time.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed here on 29th of June hotel is really nice and clean, but the rooms at night where very hot the air conditioning was not working when I complained to the staff at reception they didn't seem one bit interested.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank 32kev

Dear Kev,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review us it is appreciated.

Your comments are a big concern however both that there was a problem with your in room air conditioning but more importantly with the reaction of our team. I have sent a message to you asking for further details so that I can follow matters up as I'm disappointed because we have such a great reputation for customer service and resolving issues if they occur.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future and the opportunity to regain your trust in us.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

The hotel was lovely, very helpful staff and the room was amazing. Just as described with beautiful panoramic views, over sized bath tub, ghd straighteners, large tele, massive bed and decorated really well. The only let down to our stay, which was really rather important was that at 10:45am (check out is 11) a cleaner unlocked our door and let herself in. At this point my partner and I were getting dressed and so the cleaner so us both almost completely naked. Either there system on when cleaners can and can't go into rooms should be changed or the cleaners should at least knock.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EmmaJayneSmith

Dear Emma Jayne,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review us and for where we got it right for you I really appreciate you highlighting this to future guests.

More importantly I agree completely with your comments that if we make a promise that checkout is 11am then we should make sure the team adhere to this and one of the easiest ways is for the staff member to knock politely on a door to make sure the room is vacant. As you'll see this is not normally an issue to us so I will investigate further and as you will see I have asked for your room and stay details so I can follow the matter up.

Emma Jayne as you know we have a great hotel with a team that only wants to do their very so please be assured that we will learn and improve going forward please don't allow this to put you off a future stay with us and of course feel free to make contact with me direct so I can help organise your next visit as I will aim for it to be faultless.