“Not up to the normal Macdonalds standard”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #48 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Not up to the normal Macdonalds standard”
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

I write this at 3.30 am on the first night of a two night stay, unable to sleep as the room aircon isn't working and can't be looked at until tomorrow.
When we arrived unable to find car park - surely something stating that parking is in Travis St would be helpful?
Check in was brief. No offers of papers, no info re breakfast times or location of restaurant.
Room safe not open and room stifling - pre room check by housekeeping would have picked this up.
Room size good (deluxe) but toiletries cheap, no make up mirror in bathroom and advertised Sky Sports channels no longer available.
Obviously, apart from aircon,these are all minor niggles but they add up to a stay which should have been a pleasure for my son's graduation but which is just a bit disappointing.
All in all a probably a business hotel which doesn't have to try too much as most folks on expenses.
Certainly not what I've come to expect from the Macdonalds brand.

• Stayed July 2013
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Isobel,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and like with all feedback we pay attention to it specifically the areas where you see the chance to improve. I've asked separately for details of the room and stay dates to enable us to go and check the air conditioning system as I agree any failure will impact on the quality of a guests stay.

To be fair I can't find any reviews of other hotels in our group on your profile that you have compared us with so please let me know as I do know that our brand does generally deliver a fantastic experience for guests and so I feel that we receive feedback highlighting a great level of satisfaction in line with guest expectations borne out in our recent award of Centre of Excellence on TripAdvisor 2013.

With car parking I think you may have parked in a public amenity as our car park is immediately behind the hotel on Berry St and directions are on our website (Incl SAT NAV postcode) for guest convenience.

Genuinely I'm sorry that we didn't at least match your expectations on this occasion but please be assured if you allow us the opportunity to do so in the near future and let me know personally of your arrival you won't be disappointed.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ocoee, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Nice room, good food, Huge bathroom with speakers and massive bath

Went to the inhouse restaurant, had three courses for £20 which was lovely - possibly the best steak that has ever entered my mouth.

I dont know if it was good value room-wise - as it was booked as a birthday surprise for me... but I would definitely go back!

Good central location - two miute walk from manchester picadilly and 10 Minute walk from Arndale! went for a really nice treatment at the spa too..

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Sophie,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words they are appreciated.

With our food offering I'm not surprised that you really enjoyed dinner and breakfast so much as we have a food sourcing policy that is second to none and only provides the very best. Many organisations will tell you they do whilst we simply deliver on our promise and I'd encourage anybody to take a look on our website to see all of what we do.

Great to read also that the rest of your stay in Manchester was enjoyed and that we were part of a great weekend for you. We look forward to your return.

West Yorkshire
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Got a really good deal for the Sunday night/bed and breakfast stay. Room large, clean and bright and bathroom very impressive with a very powerful shower. Staff were helpful and friendly, although when I went over to the spa reception I wasn't asked if I had ever used anything there before and I had to go back to ask for a towel (as did the next guest). A swimming pool or even a Jacuzzi would much improve the spa experience but wouldn't prevent me returning.
Breakfast was very efficiently organised and plenty of choice.
Would happily return and maybe sample the evening menu next time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Angela,

What a lovely review thank you! So pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our great team delivered the level of experience they are renowned for. We'd love to have even more facilities in our Spa and Beauty but have to settle presently with having one of the best in the city and you never know someday soon we may announce something new.

You're right Sunday nights do offer a superb opportunity to stay at our hotel and I hope you take us up on it in the future and I'd be disappointed on that occasion if you didn't try dinner as it is as good as everything else that the team do.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

My partner & I have just returned from a wonderful stay here. It was a gift for fathers day off me and my 2 year old, bit of relaxing time together.
The hotel is in a very good location, about 15 minutes walk to the centre of manchester. From checking in to checking out we had first class service!! Breakfast was lovely, but we didnt eat our evening meal in the hotel as we wanted to eat out so carnt comment on that. We had a paranomic room (room 302) it was huge and really clean!!! There was a bit of noise from the train station at times but it didnt really bother us to be honest. We visited the spa as its free for guests and it was nice to relax in there, only downfall.....a pool would be great?! Overall we had a great weekend and we would deffinatly stay again, i would recommend to anyone who wanted a really nice weekend away! Thanks! X

• Stayed July 2013
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Gemily,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for all your kind comments they are appreciated and so pleased that your Fathers Day present did the trick.

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Preston,UK
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay to celebrate our anniversary. Was looking on laterooms but by checking the hotels website I noticed the Friday night offer of dinner bed and breakfast for a bargain price. I have to say we were very impressed, all the staff, including the spa and the restaurant were extremely polite and helpful, the room was great and the food was wonderful. There wasn't a great choice for me being vegetarian but you should expect that as the obvious emphasis is steak, what I did have however was much better than in some vegetarian restaurants. Will definitely stay here again, hopefully before our next anniversary.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Moonwalker,

Thanks so much for your kind review and for letting others know about our fantastic Friday offer as it is probably the best nights stay in the city allround. Secret is to go to our website as you know.

So pleased that you enjoyed yourselves and that you'll be back sometime soon. Food for thought with the vegetarian comments as we can improve upon your observations no problem.

Thanks again

Reviewed 6 July 2013

This was our 2nd stay at this hotel and we got a great deal through Olotel.

The rooms are massive in comparison to many similar hotels but the feng sui is all wrong with furniture crammed in corners - couldn't open bathroom door without first shifting a chair out of the way. Wardrobe was tiny, but the bed large and comfy.

Bathroom was also huge but again toilet and sink squashed into a corner leaving lots of dead space. The sink was also ridiculously small, too small to get a glass or the kettle into. The mirror was hung too low (had to bend over/squat to see our faces and hair in it).

Finally there were some signs the bathroom had been cleaned but not as thoroughly as we would like. It was a bit poor but would happily stay again

Dear Virgil,

Thanks for your kind review it is appreciated and so pleased that overall you enjoyed yourselves and would return. From what you've written I believe you may well have been offered one of our adapted rooms which could mean that you booked quite late.

What I can say is that we are doing some work on those rooms to ensure they receive as much positive feedback as our offering generally with the caveat that we are a hotel that makes every effort to accommodate the needs of all of our guests.

When you next plan to stay with us please let me know personally so that I can make sure it exceeds your expectations.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I've stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend twice this year, once booking directly with the hotel and once getting a cheaper deal on one of the late room websites.
Upon arriving at the hotel both times the staff were brilliantly helpful, check in was quick and easy and we had no problems finding the rooms. We've been lucky enough to have rooms on each side of the hotel so we've had the benefit of each view that the hotel offers, and although not the most inspiring view available in Manchester it was none the less very striking, especially due to the panoramic window.
The rooms and the bathrooms on each stay were absolutely spotless, the beds were large, firm and very comfortable, and the mini bar well stocked.
We ate at the restaurant on Valentine's night and this would be my only criticism-although the restaurant was very clean and the service fantastic I had a bit of a gripe about the food. My boyfriend ordered a burger which was cooked to perfection and absolutely beautiful, I ordered a ceasar salad.
It's my understanding that a ceasar salad typically includes lettuce, croutons, chicken, parmasan cheese and occasionally bacon and of course ceasar dressing-I received a bowl of lettuce with a few croutons and some mayonnaise on the top.
I ended up eating half my boyfriend's burger instead which left us both hungry.
The second time we stayed however we ordered room service which was both prompt and delicious.

The parking isn't the easiest to find even with the sat nav post code which I used, I ended up driving round in circles repeatedly for a while before pulling up on a side street and my boyfriend running into the hotel to ask them where the parking was. The staff on reception were very helpful providing directions and making sure we found it ok, and although it's fairly expensive (I think £15 for 24 hours) it is very secure with cctv and a gate that requires a code to enter.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Illamasque,

Many thanks for your kind review and your thoughtful comments. They are proof that even though sometimes there are times when a hotel could have done a little better it is how the team deal with the matter that makes all the difference.

Hotels are all about people; our guests and clients and our team and although I wasn't here for either of your previous stays with us I know we have always had a fantastic team who like every successful business always looks for further improvement and so my challenge is to make sure that when next you visit us you'll be at least as delighted as you were last time.

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words.