“lovely hotel great location”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night while attending a conference and would definatly like to stay again on a leisure break.

The hotel is in an excellent location, next to manchester picadilly station and a short walk to the arndale centre.

The rooms were spacious and clean with all the appliances eg tv, ipod docking station, hair dryer, iron and kettle. The food was of excellent quality and there was plenty of choice at breakfast lunch and diner.

There is a nice little gym, which i made good use of and excellent spa facilities. I would of liked a swimming pool but thats just personal choice.

I didn,t find the day staff too helpful, which is why i marked the hotel as very good rather than excellent. They couldnt tell me if my conference was being held in the hotel the next day and they didn,t offer to find out. I had a few problems with my booking as well and they didn,t seem to care. The evening staff however were a different story they were brilliant and so friendly. I was given a map of manchester and they told me where everything was, excellent customer service.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 8th floor big rooms, very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear Claire,

Many thanks for your kind review it is appreciated. With every hotel it is all about consistency and so it is for us to ensure all of our team deliver the kind of experience that you encountered during the evening.

Our team are aware that they must be welcoming and hospitable to all guests at all times and know when we do that it gets a 5 star rating so we will continue to work on it: Every interaction counts as they say!.

Kind regards and we look forward to your return.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (6,193)

Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

I write this at 3.30 am on the first night of a two night stay, unable to sleep as the room aircon isn't working and can't be looked at until tomorrow.
When we arrived unable to find car park - surely something stating that parking is in Travis St would be helpful?
Check in was brief. No offers of papers, no info re breakfast times or location of restaurant.
Room safe not open and room stifling - pre room check by housekeeping would have picked this up.
Room size good (deluxe) but toiletries cheap, no make up mirror in bathroom and advertised Sky Sports channels no longer available.
Obviously, apart from aircon,these are all minor niggles but they add up to a stay which should have been a pleasure for my son's graduation but which is just a bit disappointing.
All in all a probably a business hotel which doesn't have to try too much as most folks on expenses.
Certainly not what I've come to expect from the Macdonalds brand.

Dear Isobel,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and like with all feedback we pay attention to it specifically the areas where you see the chance to improve. I've asked separately for details of the room and stay dates to enable us to go and check the air conditioning system as I agree any failure will impact on the quality of a guests stay.

To be fair I can't find any reviews of other hotels in our group on your profile that you have compared us with so please let me know as I do know that our brand does generally deliver a fantastic experience for guests and so I feel that we receive feedback highlighting a great level of satisfaction in line with guest expectations borne out in our recent award of Centre of Excellence on TripAdvisor 2013.

With car parking I think you may have parked in a public amenity as our car park is immediately behind the hotel on Berry St and directions are on our website (Incl SAT NAV postcode) for guest convenience.

Genuinely I'm sorry that we didn't at least match your expectations on this occasion but please be assured if you allow us the opportunity to do so in the near future and let me know personally of your arrival you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Nice room, good food, Huge bathroom with speakers and massive bath

Went to the inhouse restaurant, had three courses for £20 which was lovely - possibly the best steak that has ever entered my mouth.

I dont know if it was good value room-wise - as it was booked as a birthday surprise for me... but I would definitely go back!

Good central location - two miute walk from manchester picadilly and 10 Minute walk from Arndale! went for a really nice treatment at the spa too..

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear Sophie,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words they are appreciated.

With our food offering I'm not surprised that you really enjoyed dinner and breakfast so much as we have a food sourcing policy that is second to none and only provides the very best. Many organisations will tell you they do whilst we simply deliver on our promise and I'd encourage anybody to take a look on our website to see all of what we do.

Great to read also that the rest of your stay in Manchester was enjoyed and that we were part of a great weekend for you. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Got a really good deal for the Sunday night/bed and breakfast stay. Room large, clean and bright and bathroom very impressive with a very powerful shower. Staff were helpful and friendly, although when I went over to the spa reception I wasn't asked if I had ever used anything there before and I had to go back to ask for a towel (as did the next guest). A swimming pool or even a Jacuzzi would much improve the spa experience but wouldn't prevent me returning.
Breakfast was very efficiently organised and plenty of choice.
Would happily return and maybe sample the evening menu next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Angela,

What a lovely review thank you! So pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our great team delivered the level of experience they are renowned for. We'd love to have even more facilities in our Spa and Beauty but have to settle presently with having one of the best in the city and you never know someday soon we may announce something new.

You're right Sunday nights do offer a superb opportunity to stay at our hotel and I hope you take us up on it in the future and I'd be disappointed on that occasion if you didn't try dinner as it is as good as everything else that the team do.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

My partner & I have just returned from a wonderful stay here. It was a gift for fathers day off me and my 2 year old, bit of relaxing time together.
The hotel is in a very good location, about 15 minutes walk to the centre of manchester. From checking in to checking out we had first class service!! Breakfast was lovely, but we didnt eat our evening meal in the hotel as we wanted to eat out so carnt comment on that. We had a paranomic room (room 302) it was huge and really clean!!! There was a bit of noise from the train station at times but it didnt really bother us to be honest. We visited the spa as its free for guests and it was nice to relax in there, only downfall.....a pool would be great?! Overall we had a great weekend and we would deffinatly stay again, i would recommend to anyone who wanted a really nice weekend away! Thanks! X

• Stayed: July 2013
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Gemily,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for all your kind comments they are appreciated and so pleased that your Fathers Day present did the trick.

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay to celebrate our anniversary. Was looking on laterooms but by checking the hotels website I noticed the Friday night offer of dinner bed and breakfast for a bargain price. I have to say we were very impressed, all the staff, including the spa and the restaurant were extremely polite and helpful, the room was great and the food was wonderful. There wasn't a great choice for me being vegetarian but you should expect that as the obvious emphasis is steak, what I did have however was much better than in some vegetarian restaurants. Will definitely stay here again, hopefully before our next anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Moonwalker,

Thanks so much for your kind review and for letting others know about our fantastic Friday offer as it is probably the best nights stay in the city allround. Secret is to go to our website as you know.

So pleased that you enjoyed yourselves and that you'll be back sometime soon. Food for thought with the vegetarian comments as we can improve upon your observations no problem.

Thanks again

Reviewed 6 July 2013

This was our 2nd stay at this hotel and we got a great deal through Olotel.

The rooms are massive in comparison to many similar hotels but the feng sui is all wrong with furniture crammed in corners - couldn't open bathroom door without first shifting a chair out of the way. Wardrobe was tiny, but the bed large and comfy.

Bathroom was also huge but again toilet and sink squashed into a corner leaving lots of dead space. The sink was also ridiculously small, too small to get a glass or the kettle into. The mirror was hung too low (had to bend over/squat to see our faces and hair in it).

Finally there were some signs the bathroom had been cleaned but not as thoroughly as we would like. It was a bit poor but would happily stay again

Dear Virgil,

Thanks for your kind review it is appreciated and so pleased that overall you enjoyed yourselves and would return. From what you've written I believe you may well have been offered one of our adapted rooms which could mean that you booked quite late.

What I can say is that we are doing some work on those rooms to ensure they receive as much positive feedback as our offering generally with the caveat that we are a hotel that makes every effort to accommodate the needs of all of our guests.

When you next plan to stay with us please let me know personally so that I can make sure it exceeds your expectations.