“Great location”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #49 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for 1 night whilst attending a concert at the emirates stadium. Hotel in great location for city centre and stadium. Rooms are a good size and to the standard you expect for a MacDonald.

We left our car in a public car park directly across from the hotel (part of the train station). £8.00 for 24hours. Word of warning the car park entrance is before you reach hotel on a one way system and if you miss it, it's a bit of pain to get back onto. Turn into just after train station on your left

Would defiantly use the hotel again whilst staying in city centre.

We departed pretty early, so didn't have a chance to sample breakfast unfortunately.

If you are looking for a central hotel of a good standard then this is this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Chris-Lesley
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear Chris & Lesley,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind feedback. So pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will be returning sometime soon.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past few weeks on a work trip, & shall stay there again in the coming months. Overall the hotel was fine. I only spent time sleeping & having breakfast so sadly haven't had the chance to try the spa facilities. Check-in on the first occasion was a bit slow, but depends when you arrive. Rooms are spacious & clean. Bed was very comfortable, although the pillows on my first stay were far too high. I was too tired in the middle of the night to ask for smaller ones. On the 2nd stay they were fine. The TV is on the opposite side of the room to the bed, & far too small for the size of room. The audio of the TV gets played in the bathroom too, but there is no screen. It would be lovely to have a TV in there too, so you could watch whilst relaxing in the bath- it is a spa hotel after all!

I searched the guide in the room to find a WIFI code, but found no such code or instructions on how to access the internet. I checked with reception to be told there is a plug under the TV. This might be obvious to some, but if this had been written in the hotel guide, I wouldn't have had to bother reception to find out.

Lifts were slow at busy times. Bar prices were rather steep & to get to the toilets from the bar, its 5 flights of stairs up, then through another room. Very odd & not convenient at all. A group of us arrived back at the hotel early hours of fri morning- around 2am. There was a man behind the bar, but told us he'd closed 10mins prior & the only option was to order room service. We asked if we could give him the order, so they could be delivered by the time we got upstairs, but he said no, & we'd have to ring from our room, which we did. They only have wine or beer on the room service list & the whole incident put a dampener on our stay.

Breakfast was £15 if pre-booked or £19 if you just arrive on the day. Although it was all fresh, & tasty, I certainly didn't eat £15 worth of food! The line to get in was terribly busy around 08:30am. You can pay a surcharge for kippers, eggs benedict etc but at the cost charged for rooms & breakfast, these options should be available anyway, without the surcharge. To get to breakfast, its another few flights of stairs. I tried using the lift as I was carrying a suitcase, but I think you need staff to access that lift. I wish reception had told me that breakfast was up several flights of stairs, because I would have left my suitcase with them.

On both occasions, there were no teaspoons on the table at breakfast & no way of picking up the sugar cubes. Not sure if I needed to ask for a teaspoon or I'm supposed to collected them somewhere else? The black pudding had a really odd taste. I don't know if its the cooking oil used, but I've never tasted one like that before. Not the most extensive breakfast selection I've seen, but certainly adequate.

I'd stay there again because the rooms & beds were fine. Just a few niggles that didn't make the stay perfect.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank dalton1skiing
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Dalton,

Many thanks for your kind review. Our mission is to exceed expectations with every guest so we take on board your feedback and we'll work with it.

Many thanks again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Good points
1. Very central and close to Piccadilily railway station.
2. Large airconditioned rooms
3. Friendly, helpful staff

Bad points
1.Noisy if you have a room at the southern end which is very near to a dual carriageway.
2. Hotel car park is £17.50 for overnight stay. Information on how you exit the car park will be helpful - it is OK after you check in because you get a code but what do you do when you first arrive before checking in?. The button at the gate was not answered for quite some time.
3. The WiFi in the room costs £10 per 24 hours. The wired internet access is free but you have to borrow a (free) cable from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the North end
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear MMmd,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind feedback. To be fair the hotel is renowned for how quiet it is and has triple glazed windows throughout for extra comfort. As you'll see I've asked you separately for details of your room so I can go up and assess it as its not something that we struggle with usually.

With regard to the car park there is a button adjacent to the exit gate that you simply push to open the gate. I will look at ways of making it even easier for guests to egress our car park.

With WiFi you're right in that it is free if used via the Ethernet however we will be having an even simpler system in place in the next few weeks offering free access to the Internet for all current platforms.

Many thanks once again and I will be in touch soon with regards to your comment on a noisy room if you'd be so kind as to confirm your room details.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Pleased to find a hotel with spacious rooms and nice amenities. Great location central to activitieis and train station in Manchester. The food however was awful and sparse selection, no variety. No free wi fi was a disappointment as well

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Philadelphia,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and I'd be really interested in knowing some more detail about your stay with us so I can understand the concern. I have sent a separate message asking for this and will as always get back to you as we generally deliver a great experience for our guests.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I've stayed at the Macdonald a few times and it's a nice hotel very convenient for Piccadilly railway station. My wife booked this time so we could go to an event on the Saturday evening and she booked the spa for the Saturday afternoon.

So everything great, with one exception, we went down for breakfast, to find a queue of 25 people waiting for breakfast tables. We could have been waiting for absolutely ages, so went back to reception and asked if we could not take up the option of breakfast that my wife had paid extra for, as we couldn't wait that long, get a refund for the breakfast element of the cost and instead go elsewhere.

I was flabbergasted that the duty manager said no, the logic being twofold i) the hotel hadn't failed to provide breakfast, it was available, even if there was a queue due to lots of people arriving for breakfast at the same time and ii) not that I could understand the logic at all, that once you had ticked you wanted the breakfast option when booking, the booking became 'a bed & breakfast rate' - don't get me wrong, if it had have been an inclusive B&B rate, we'd just have gone elsewhere for it but my wife said she had actually paid extra for it. The duty manager said that we would have had to cancel the breakfast by 2pm the previous day, it couldn't be cancelled on the morning and couldn't be refunded as breakfast was available.

We checked out, but before doing so, I went back to the breakfast room and found the queue had increased to over 40 people, with more coming up the stairs before I left.

I know the hotel will say:

- Sundays are the busiest day
- we are rare in serving breakfast until noon

But let's face it, if you need to leave and can't wait behind 40+ other people just to sit down for breakfast and you'd paid extra for breakfast, wouldn't you be disapointed if the hotel didn't refund the breakfast charge so you could go elsewhere for it.

I'll try and post 'Macdonald Manchester - The Breakfast Club' video at the end of this review.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NJ1969
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear Mr Jackson,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and also your other correspondence direct to the hotel. I have also had the chance to read through the Duty Managers Report as concerns your comments to ensure I am fully appraised.

As you will see from your reviews and from your experience we deliver consistently a great breakfast experience and on the day that you stayed I can add that we received an excellent mystery guest audit for breakfast however these guests came down a little earlier than yourself.

In terms of a genuine response Sunday isn't our busiest day for breakfast however it is our busiest day for Leisure Guest breakfast and so as you encountered we do find that the majority of leisure guests will arrive between 09.00hrs and 10.00hrs because, quite rightly, they want to relax and enjoy being away. Every hotel knows this and we do all we can to minimise the effect but on rare occasions there are a lot of guests arriving at the same time on the same day. This is not an excuse but simply a reality as you witnessed. Our only aim is always to minimise this effect as much as we can with the caveat that for the rest of breakfast (virtually 4 hours) chances are that you would be one of a handful in the room.

I'm not sure why you would expect a refund for breakfast when the facility to enjoy it still remained. I sometimes think that maybe we should book guests into breakfast like we do with Dinner as that would help us to guarantee that we deliver a great experience for guests with this meal. On the other hand it is about trying to accommodate guests plans in the morning which can be quite relaxed and flexible and we are very sensitive to this. We try to please all of the people all of the time and do get challenged sometimes.

Anyway please make contact with me direct when next you are planning to stay with us so that I can ensure that we look after you and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I recently stayed in the above hotel on a short family break. The room we stayed in was actually a suite and all I can say is it was outstanding. Extremely comfortable and spotlessly clean.

The whole hotel was beautifully presented and the reception staff upon check in/checkout could not have been more friendly or inviting. The same can also be said for the staff in the dining room.

I dealt personally with the Manager when booking and found him to be extremely helpful and accommodating and thank him for his help in making my stay what it was. I would not hesitate in staying in this hotel again or recommending it to others.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Debbie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words. As I always say if guests make contact prior to arrival then we will do all that we can to accommodate each request where possible to ensure that we at the very least match a guests expectations.

I'm so pleased we did this on this occasion and hope that we can continue to do so well into the future.

Kind regards and thank you once again

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Arriving at this hotel by car was the first challenge and after doing a couple of circuits we ended up at the secure car park for the hotel. - first challenge complete. (Although almost fainted at the cost of the parking!!)

Checking in was quite painless but nothing special. Our superior room was on the 7th Floor and as long as you looked out of the window at an angle you didn't notice the great big building directly opposite blocking the view!!

Rooms are a good size, have air conditioning and are clean.

The Spa facilities are ok although the ice room was not working during our stay and don't think because the spa is open until 8pm that you can relax in the relaxation room until that time - at 7.15pm the door gets wedged open, the water feature switched off, all other little lights in the room turned off and the hot water for tea removed - makes you feel less than welcome or relaxed. As I had booked a Summer Spa night break it was a little disappointing as this was one of the reasons I chose the hotel.

Had lunch in the Cafe Bar and the food was nice.

Breakfast again was good and there is little you could ask for that is not on offer and I have to give a special mention to Steven who was looking after our table - he was very helpful and never intrusive, made us feel welcome and looked after us well.

Overall (excluding Steven) nothing to make this hotel stand out from its many competitors.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2013

Dear Scottish Tourist,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your comments about Steven I will pass them onto him. I'm probably more disappointed that we didn't manage to match your expectations never mind exceed them as the team do work really hard on ensuring all that we do is excellent.

I will look into the issues with regard to your Spa experience and come back to you.