“Does the job!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Does the job!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Had a very pleasant stay in a Classic Double which was a large well-appointed room . The whole place was spotless and well cared for, with none of the usual 'rough edges' one often finds in even top hotels. Bed was very comfy and very large.
Only two minor grumbles- the iPod dock doesn't charge, and the TV is on the small side for viewing in bed.We didn't sample the breakfast (£17.95) as Carluccio's in nearby Victoria Stn seemed a better bet(very good Eggs Benedict £8.25).
The hotel is well sited near the Mancunian Way for easy access by car (but note the £20 charge for overnight parking) yet within easy walking distance of the centre.In all a pleasant stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Ian,

Thanks so much for your kind review and so pleased that generally you enjoyed yourself.

We look forward to your return sometime soon.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
NW Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a weekend in May, my room was fantastic with a skyline view. The hotel was spotless. The staff were always very polite and helpful. I was there while my Father was poorly & I received a very distressing call & needed to get to him as a matter of urgency, I phoned reception & by the time I reached the foyer there was a taxi waiting. I did not sample any of the food or beverages but hope to return under happier circumstances so I can take full advantage of this lovely hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Sharon,

Thank you for taking the time to review us it is appreciated and although I was sorry hear about your fathers illness I was pleased to see that the team reacted in a manner that you and I would expect.

I hope he is feeling much better now and I hope that he and you will be returning soon so that we can ensure we deliver a faultless stay on that occasion.

Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed here in October and the room was a very good size and very comfortable. The service was good and staff were very friendly and helpful.

I expected a pool and maybe the website could be clearer as it does seem to confuse people. I used the gym and it was decent, though a bit small.

The food was very good and much better than the normal hotel standard I have had.

The hotel is very close to the main station and it's a very short walk, so very convenient if you need or want to be close to the station.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words. We'll have a look at the website with reference to a pool. That said so pleased that generally you enjoyed yourself and you will be back here soon.

Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel is great - don't listen to the reviews of "boo hoo - no pool!" That obviously means that someone hasn't read the hotel spec!!! The hotel is of a higher order and rooms are well appointed and comfortable.

The breakfast is great!!! Really high quality and delicious - it is obvious that the kitchen staff care about what they deliver and the restaurant staff were helpful and attentive.

Now for areas to improve - I booked this location via my frequent flyer. I used points for my stay. Admittedly, I did book on the night; and was given a contact name of the member of staff member this was confirmed with as reference. On arrival; the staff member in question had gone home and staff knew nothing of my booking. The staff member arranged for my room to be placed on account and said it would be rectified by the morning.

On checking-out the following morning the staff knew nothing of my tale the previous night and would have charged my card; had I not stopped them. I was then left to call my frequent flyer (at my expense) looking gormless at reception whilst I troubleshot the issue myself. Moral of the story to the hotel = helpfulness and a connected customer focus improves the customer experience!

In room TV's here are also titchy; in what are essentially expansive rooms. Therefore they get lost. Please remind your staff to be focussed on the customer experience next time Macdonald - I'll be checking back. Otherwise - a very comfortable hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear Jasso,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words they are appreciated.

Please be assured that where you have seen the opportunity to further improve we will do out utmost to deliver on it.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Great hotel. I have stayed there twice. Good service, but tried to use the gym at 06.30, on both occasions I couldn't get in with my key card. Staff helpful, but if it's meant to be open at 06.30, it should be.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear KG,

Thanks for taking the time to review us and I will look into the reasons why you found it difficult to get into our Gym.

I hope your experience didn't put you off and that you will be back here soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband booked this hotel for my birthday trip, because of the reputation from Macdonold spa hotel we went before so we select this again on the 9th Oct.
However we both Very disappointed as I've been to the Mac Donald spa hotel in Bath and Worcestershire, this was the worse!! It wasn't fully facilitate, no pool, small gym, the direction sign in the lift and the spa sign was incorrect. Concierge in the reception doesn't know about the restaurant in the hotel, doesn't know about what time the spa close, doesn't know what if there are robs in the room. ( Basically he doesn't know about anything??) The Room was very cold, old furnish, dusty, doesn't come with robes, slipper, etc.
The Breakfast was ok. Staff was slow waited for 10 minutes to order tea although it wasn't busy. I ask for tissue a staff gave me a very dirty, dusty napkin and the knife and folk was unclean.
Overall, I would never going back to this Manchester Branch, as It was very boring in there.

Room Tip: You will need to ask for City view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Maya M
Dear Maya,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and clearly there were issues in alternate to the usual service levels that we deliver.

If you would be kind enough to make contact with me direct I will look further into your concerns.

Stirling
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed for one night with great expectations. Booked due to it's proximity to the O2 Apollo Manchester.
Reception - smart and pleasant staff, welcoming and efficient.
Room - appeared to be a great room, very spacious and with huge picture window overlooking Manchester.
Although we were two ladies, the room appeared to have been made up for one person, one lot of toiletries, one large towel and one small towel. The other set was stashed in the wardrobe.
On a positive note the towels were soft and the bath towel was very large.

Lighting was 'romantic' what I mean is way too dark. No magnifying mirror, no lighting sufficient to put on make-up or take out contact lenses etc.
restaurant was well organised and foot was reasonably priced and nicely cooked; although when asked what was gluten free the waitress replied "Oh anything with no wheat"!!!!
The bill included the drinks form several other tables so after corrections it was almost £20 less than they wanted us to pay (just as well I checked!)
I was served a drink in a glass with a big chip out of it which nicked my lip before I realised! Got a laughing apology and told "we've been looking for that glass"!
The room turned out to be too large - so large we could not watch the TV from bed!
Bottom sheet did not fit the bed and slipped all over the place, pillows were so hard I investigated to reassure myself they were indeed pillows and not a blanket folded over and stuffed in a pillow case!
Breakfast - £19 per person! - once again the staff were ill informed about Gluten Free and in fact the only item available which was Gluten Free were two slices of toast! Seriously? A big hotel chain has no Gluten free choice??!!! In this day and age, when even the coffee shops at the Airport have a selection of cakes and Biscuits which are Gluten Free. A poor show MacDonald Hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear BusyMStirling,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and I can see opportunity to improve on what we do.

What I will say though is that even with a Gluten Free diet our range of the very best, most wholesome foods our breakfast offering remains probably the best in the industry. We offer these as a standard each day and I know how much they are enjoyed by our guests generally.