“Brilliant”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #50 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed in a double room on 15 nov, very spacious, massive comfy bed and huge walk in shower. Spotless room and bathroom. Powerful hair dryer in the drawer plus tea making facilities including a teapot. Free parking in a secure car park to the rear if you have a blue badge or £20 otherwise, but cheaper parking very nearby. 2 minute walk to Piccadilly train station where there are free shuttle buses to the town centre every 7 mins, but the walk into the centre isn't too far. Practically across the road from canal street. Christmas markets are excellent. Lovely fresh breakfast, a very enjoyable stay.

1  Thank 39Taylor
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear 39Taylor,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for highlighting to other guests just why you enjoyed yourself so much.

It is appreciated and of course we look forward to your return sometime soon.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here last week for one night in a superior double which cost £87 for 2 people bed and breakfast and also included a £10 credit at the bar. This was a deal which I prepaid at the time of booking.

The hotel is really close to Piccadilly station, but also has a secure carpark which cost £20 for 24 hours. I thought this was a little expensive, however when we checked out we were able to leave the car there while we went into town so it was very convenient.

The room was very comfortable and spacious, as was the bathroom which had a separate bath and shower. Everything was spotlessly clean. The bed was very comfortable and we were not disturbed by any noise during the night, which I had half expected as the hotel seemed very busy.

We went into the bar for a drink and a meal before going out and this is where my only quibble is. We had a bottle of white wine, which at £18.95 was the cheapest on the list, but I have to say it was not great. We ordered 2 meals - fish and chips and a burger meal. We had to wait about 40 minutes for the food to arrive, even though no one else in the bar was eating. We asked the waitress to chase it up and she apologised and said it was busy 'upstairs'. When the food arrived it was mediocre at best. My fish and chips were soggy not crisp, and my husband said his burger was just okay. It certainly wasn't worth £14 & £12 and a 40 minute wait.

Breakfast next morning, however, was much better. We were seated by a very pleasant lady and tea and toast were brought to the table. The hot buffet included the usual fare and poached eggs were cooked to order. The was also a nice variety of cereals, fruit, pastries, etc.

I have to say that where this hotel excelled is the friendliness of the staff. Special mention to Peter on reception who kindly printed us a map and showed us where things were in town and also Neil who checked us out and actually took time to have a chat with us - a rare thing in most hotels these days. You guys can certainly teach the Arora a thing or too!

Next time in Manchester I would definitely stay here again.

Dear Blurredgirl,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review us and for giving us such a high rating given your delay with your food. Genuinely we do all that we can to ensure our guests receive their orders with very little delay but that can be impacted by Dinner service and Room Service Orders which as you will know all tend to come at once as that is when meal times are taken.

Please let me know when next you are planning to stay so I can recommend another bottle of wine and offer you a tasting so that you won't be disappointed. We do spend a lot of time in choosing our wines for guests and have a policy of only choosing the very best so although I'm a little disappointed you didn't enjoy your choice on this occasion I know that we can recover that situation upon your return.

Kind regards and please be assured that I will pass your kind feedback onto Neil, Peter and the team

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed here for my birthday on Friday with my mum for a girlie weekend shopping!
What a lovely stay it was, great location if you get train to piccadilly its literly on its door step, when we arrived it seemed rather busy and was a little early to check in but was made more than welcome in the hotel bar, served by a young tall, black gentleman who was very attentive and his service was outstanding knew a lot about his wines (ask him if you go) and when we asked him where was best to try whilst in Manchester he was more than helpful, even when he was busy he made time to answer us! (Wish I had got his name)
Our room was clean and larger than we expected, had a very good nights sleep! Break fast in the morning was lovely, was nice to be welcomed warmly, just what we needed after a few too many glasses of wine!
I will defiantly stay here again, made my birthday very special and the staff are fab! Really makes the difference, as been to other hotels recently and you feel like just one of many!
Going to book for me and my boyfriend to come in the new year for his birthday! Hope the standard remains the same!

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Misstreyx,

Omar was the name you were looking for and he's got a great reputation for delivering great service so thank you for highlighting this for our future guests.

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed yourselves and as you can see consistently we aim to deliver superb stays for all of our guests. Please let me know when next you are planning to stay so we can make that visit just as special.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed at the Macdonald Manchester hotel last night. We paid extra for a delux panoramic room and it's worth it. The rooms are stunning, very spacious and clean. The bed, duvet and pillows were to die for and we had a great sleep. We ate in the restaurant and I would highly recommend it, the food was delicious for evening meal and breakfast. The location was about a 15 minute walk from the centre. Didn't use the spa but it looked very nice. Overall I would definitely stay here again on a visit to Manchester :)

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Leafleck,

Thank you for your very kind review it is appreciated. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed all that we do and that you will be using us in the future as your hotel of choice whilst in Cottonopolis!

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is such a pleasant surprise. As soon as you walk in, to when you leave, its nothing short of beautiful. The rooms are nice and big along with a generous sized bathroom and great facilities for tea/coffee. It's also nice to see a trouser press (Corby. Only the best) and a decent hairdrier. Our view was amazing, looking back over onto the pennines. Breakfast was real nice with plenty to choose from and comfortable cosy seating. All the staff we encountered were friendly, and willing to help out wherever they could. The next time we stop over in Manchester this is where we'll be staying for sure.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Cupholderboy,

Many thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to review us it is appreciated and it goes without saying that we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed at the hotel with my niece and sister in laws and our best friend on Friday 15 November. Wow what a fantastic hotel. Reception staff we great and made us feel so welcome as soon as we arrived. We had a meal in the steakhouse, and Marco was so professional and such a lovely person. It was my nieces birthday and he made us feel like we were royalty. Thank you Marco and all the staff for making our stay such a memorable time.

Room Tip: There were 3 of us in room 352, fantastic view and the room was so big and so comfortable. The view...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Joyce,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and I'm so pleased that Marco and our Restaurant team did a great job in looking after you. Service and a friendly attentive team is what we strive towards always so I'm delighted that it is reflected in your feedback as it is important as many guests know in advance that this is always our aim.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return sometime soon.

The Macdonad Manchester Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 16 November 2013

What a lovely relaxing stay. First impression was excellent this was due to the warm welcome on reception by Neil. The room was so spacious, spotless and very comfy large bed. Had all amenities you need. Ate in the bar, tasty food and reasonable price, big portions also. Once again staff behind the bar very friendly. Breakfast was a lovely relaxing experience with lots of choice. We booked this hotel for its location, attending a concert at the Apollo. But I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it for a stay in manchester. In fact attending another gig in December so will defo book again.
Once again compliments to the staff for making our stay so special.

Dear Varoid,

Many thanks for staying with us and for offering a great review about our team which I will pass onto Neil and the rest o the team. Please let me know when you are staying next so that we can look after you once again.